Telegraph.co.uk Article on Home brewing 11/5/11

A pre-moderated forum for linking to affiliated brewing organisations and sites of special interest.
Madbrewer

Telegraph.co.uk Article on Home brewing 11/5/11

Post by Madbrewer » Thu May 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Have not seen anyone else mention this. Jims is on the page as a link & our friend Graham's book get's a very brief mention too. (Just basic info nothing advanced) ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... -beer.html

Have Fun

Phil

Zephiacus

Re: Telegraph.co.uk Article on Home brewing 11/5/11

Post by Zephiacus » Thu May 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Really good wee article that. Think it really hit the nail on the head with regards to kit brewing, hopefully some people will see how simple it really is and get brewing!

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Thu May 12, 2011 6:57 pm

its just a shame that there is an "increase in sales of lager-making kits" as those how Dare with a lager kit often don't win and give up.

Should there be a law that stops people brewing a Lager kit as the first ever crack at Home brew to save them the pain of not a getting Euro-Fizz on their first go :lol:

that said "What would be good advice for your 1st kit"

Zephiacus

Post by Zephiacus » Thu May 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Coopers,any one of them, they were my most reliable when i did kits. As for a style i'd prob have to say brew a bitter as you can possibly get away with more with them. My first kit was the Bitter kit from 'Art of Brewing' (http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/acatalo ... ____9.html) along with its fantastic equiptment pack, this was an own branded kit, but i've always wondered how they made them, they are 1.8kg so it could've been a tin of muntons malt extract re-labeled, there was a sachet of isomerised hop extract along with generic ale yeast and separate printed instructions. Would one sachet of hop extract be enough? I'm not complaining it was a really good kit though!

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 pm

re:Hop extract, I was internet shopping yesterday and see this "Hop Aroma Tablets" Pack of 5 "These completely disolve in the beer and can be used for all forms of homebrewing to add a lovely hop aroma to the finished beer. Simply pop one in the keg when you syphon the beer."!!!!!!

staplefordbill

Post by staplefordbill » Thu May 12, 2011 9:59 pm

My first ever brew was a lager kit. My experiences were probably the same as many others: "Wow! I've made alcohol!" then "but...but...it doesn't taste anything like lager!" I'm glad I persevered.