Carared vs Crystal

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
TheLastSuppa
Steady Drinker

Carared vs Crystal

Post by TheLastSuppa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:23 am

What is the difference between carared and crystal. Am I right in thinking that carared will give you a deeper colour (i.e red) and less sweetness than crystal.

I usually use 100g up to 400g of crystal for 23L brew but not sure how much carared to use or whether I can use cara and crystal. Then there's carapils. Does this just add body, but not colour or sweetness? :?

Can anyone clear this up for me, please?

mysterio

Re: Carared vs Crystal

Post by mysterio » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:32 am

It's the German version of medium crystal malt. The differences are going to be fairly subtle. Even British crystals from different maltsters taste slightly different. 'Redder' colour than regular British crystal ? Doubt it.

You're right about cara pils, adds a noticeable amount of body and gives a denser head, no colour or sweetness.

dave-o

Post by dave-o » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:39 pm

I was quite disappointed by the redness of it. I wouldn't bother using it for colour purposes.

Tom_D

Post by Tom_D » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:53 pm

dave-o wrote:I was quite disappointed by the redness of it. I wouldn't bother using it for colour purposes.
I second that. I used it in a couple of brews with the intention of getting a red colour but it did no more than crystal so I shan't bother again.

TheLastSuppa
Steady Drinker

Post by TheLastSuppa » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:19 pm

mysterio wrote:It's the German version of medium crystal malt. The differences are going to be fairly subtle. Even British crystals from different maltsters taste slightly different. 'Redder' colour than regular British crystal ? Doubt it.

You're right about cara pils, adds a noticeable amount of body and gives a denser head, no colour or sweetness.
Thanks boys! That's cleared that up!

Mysterio - How much cara pils is enough? I've been using about 200g in a 23L brew. Is this instead of torrefied wheat or flaked barley or can you use both or all three together to improve head retention?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:59 pm

I always used about 5% of the grist so yeah 200g sounds about right for a 5 gallon batch.

You can use all together if you like, wheat or flaked barley aren't specifically for body but they help with head, experiment a bit and see what you like. Torrefied wheat has a distinct flavour of its own. Malted wheat is good to try too.

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm

If you are looking for really nice red colour you might want to ramp up the Carared to Caraaroma instead, which is a bit like Carared on Steroids :twisted: Used in higher concentrations it also gives a lovely raisin flavour if you like that sort of thing.

300g Carared
300g Caraaroma

:D

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:01 pm

I could really go a pint of that right about now, Bribie. What's the full recipe?

Tom_D

Post by Tom_D » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:32 am

Damn that looks good!

lupulin

Post by lupulin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:54 am

That does look good Birbie!

My understanding on carared is that you have to use a huge amount to get a red color which sort of defeats the purpose to me. I have gotten good red color by using about 3% extra dark crystal and 3% special b or something similar (I think caraaroma like birbie is using is about the same color)

Bribie

Post by Bribie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:41 pm

mysterio wrote:I could really go a pint of that right about now, Bribie. What's the full recipe?
No worries: I make it in two forms depending on the hops: Yorkshire Red or Mid Atlantic Red :)

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/10/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Bribie Brewery
Boil Size: 26.33 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.89 %
0.33 kg Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 5.54 %
0.33 kg Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.54 %
0.30 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.03 %

Mash 66 degrees 90 mins

For Yorkshire Red
40g Challenger 60 mins
40g Styrian Goldings 10 mins

For Mid Atlantic Red
30g Magnum 60 mins
40g Willamette 10 mins

1 Pkgs West Yorkshire (Wyeast Labs #1469) Yeast-Ale or White Labs equivalent or Wyeast Ringwood (always available)

Cheers