Gooseberries in beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
AdamR

Re: Gooseberries in beer

Post by AdamR » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Peatbogbrewer wrote: I tend to use 1kg (2 last year), but you may get some flavour coming through when ready to drink, if they are a desert variety they are sweet and not as sharp and so may need more. BTW my gooseberry bushes are in pots and one would fit nicely into 2x6m area....
It's in a keg (I was planning on bottling, but am lazy) and had a taste.
Peatbog, you were right, there's less gooseberry than I wanted/expected, though it is one of the best beers I have brewed.

AdamR

Post by AdamR » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Quick update;
I brewed the wheat beer with the gooseberries.
I used 2kg of wheat malt and 2kg of lager malt.
25g of hops the label fell off (I think Amarillo) at 60mins.
Lastly 600g of gooseberries after fermentation calmed down.

Also, I've changed my mind on the other beer.
It is really tasty, and there's no off flavours.
Though with the lactose there's too much sweetness and body. I'll bottle it to free up the keg.
I can also definately taste the gooseberries though they blend with the American hops and the Grapefruit zest really well.

While I don't think I will be rebrewing the PiAle, however I will most likely be brewing the wheat beer again if I can get more berries.
And I think I'd like to try using grapefruit zest in beer, maybe a hoppy dark ale.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:08 pm

AdamR wrote:Quick update;
I brewed the wheat beer with the gooseberries.
I used 2kg of wheat malt and 2kg of lager malt.
25g of hops the label fell off (I think Amarillo) at 60mins.
Lastly 600g of gooseberries after fermentation calmed down.

Also, I've changed my mind on the other beer.
It is really tasty, and there's no off flavours.
Though with the lactose there's too much sweetness and body. I'll bottle it to free up the keg.
I can also definately taste the gooseberries though they blend with the American hops and the Grapefruit zest really well.

While I don't think I will be rebrewing the PiAle, however I will most likely be brewing the wheat beer again if I can get more berries.
And I think I'd like to try using grapefruit zest in beer, maybe a hoppy dark ale.
I always do a gooseberry wheat when they are ripe and ready, what yeast did you use for the wheat? i may go hefeweizen next time instead of Safale 05. Have you a bush to grow or you foraging for them?

AdamR

Post by AdamR » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:08 pm

Peatbogbrewer wrote:I always do a gooseberry wheat when they are ripe and ready, what yeast did you use for the wheat? i may go hefeweizen next time instead of Safale 05. Have you a bush to grow or you foraging for them?
I used my go to yeast, Gervin Ale yeast from Wilkos, I didn't want the usual wheat beer esters masking the berries.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:22 pm

AdamR wrote:
Peatbogbrewer wrote:I always do a gooseberry wheat when they are ripe and ready, what yeast did you use for the wheat? i may go hefeweizen next time instead of Safale 05. Have you a bush to grow or you foraging for them?
I used my go to yeast, Gervin Ale yeast from Wilkos, I didn't want the usual wheat beer esters masking the berries.
Yeah you can't beat walks 'Gervin' apparently its repackaged Notts Danstar. Sounds like a good brew AdamR, maybe a saison would suit too?

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Liverpool brewing Co do a gooseberry wheat hefeweizen, think ill give this go come the goosegog season...

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:00 pm

Inspired by this thread I will be brewing a Gooseberry Pale Ale on Saturday
4.67Kg Maris Otter
0.26Kg Cara-Pils
0.14Kg Crystal 100

24g Nelson Sauvin 70 mins
12g Nelson Sauvin 15 mins
12g Nelson Sauvin 5 mins
33g Nelson Sauvin 0 mins

1Kg gooseberries from the allotment in fermenting bin

This is adapted from Greg Hughes' single hop Nelson Pale Ale recipe

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:57 pm

Why? beer does not need gooseberries. Beer is malt hops and water!

nicksonic

Post by nicksonic » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:08 am

I'll be interested to see how that turns out. I recently made a single hop NS ale and didn't like the bittering qualities at all.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:48 am

nicksonic wrote:I'll be interested to see how that turns out. I recently made a single hop NS ale and didn't like the bittering qualities at all.
I never use expensive flavour/aroma hops for bittering, as it seems a waste. Most of my beers are bittered with Magnum, and the flavour hops are saved for the last 15 mins/flameout.

nicksonic

Post by nicksonic » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:51 am

Magnum and NS was the exact pairing suggested to me, advice which I ignored in the spirit of discovery!

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:15 am

You always learn more from mistakes than getting it right first time. I admire your approach.

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Why? beer does not need gooseberries. Beer is malt hops and water!
Beer from commercial breweries is malt, hops and water

Beer from Hombrewers and Craft Brewers is malt, hops, water, experimentation, imagination, preference, nostalgia, brinkmanship etc...etc., it is why we prefer to brew than buy.

I grew up with apple trees, gooseberry bushes, red currant bushes, blackcurrant bushes, damson trees and plum trees and all variations of beer and cider have been tried over the years and continue to be tried. I have a friend who is currently working on using nettles - whatever floats your boat cos its your boat.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:15 pm

a-slayer wrote:Why? beer does not need gooseberries. Beer is malt hops and water!
And the wit doesn't need orange peel and coriander, the kriek cherry's, the ebulum elderberries, the heather beer bog myrtle, the braggot honey. Thats the thing about beer, it aint been just malt hops and water for millennia mein rheinheitsgebot friend.....