Beers (late 19th Century and 20th Century)

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Beers (late 19th Century and 20th Century)

Post by Cobnut » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:09 am

I had another go at the Durden Park Beer Circle's "favourite" beer - the 1850 Whitbread London Porter.

It was fermented and casked before Christmas 2021 being targeted for serving from a pin at the Inaugural Ipswich Homebrew festival (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=83859) which was held on Saturday 30th July. So it had seven months maturation time (no priming sugar). There was sufficient left for me to bottle 1 x 500ml and 1 x 330ml (both now drunk too).

I was rather pleased with how it came out; luscious mouthfeel (from the Chevallier malt), rich moussy tan head which lasted most of the way down the glass, rather roasty and still quite bitter from the combination of the 5.5% black malt and about 160g Fuggle-esque hops boiled for 90 mins.

I loved it, but I do think it would be even better after a year or more in cask.

And based on the previous version I made where I aged some of the batch in Oak, I reckon oak aging it would take some of the harsher edges off it too.

Definitely on my list to re-brew. I would consider either reducing the % of black malt or perhaps capping the mash with the black malt so as to get the bulk of the colour with much less of the harsh bitterness which it can contribute. It might mean it could be drunk sooner.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:37 pm

Moving on from Hanson's 1898 XX (Mild Ale) my next brew (also unearthed by Ron Pattinson) is >Boddington's 1901 Stout<. I used Chevallier barley malt for most of the base "pale malt", but diluted with over a third Vienna Malt (8EBC, Crisp's "Vienna" is the same as their "Mild Ale Malt). I also used S-33 instead of WYeast #1318 London Ale III (I don't know why Ron insists on using #1318 as "Boddington's" yeast when it's widely published that it's an American fallacy ... I probably do know; it's a case of "knowing which side your bread is buttered on" ... or perhaps there is another reason?). Anyway, here it is and there is a very good reason it's taken indoors (apart from it raining outside!):
20220801_212858_WEB.jpg
20220801_212858_WEB.jpg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 320354 times
Oh, pizza night, lucky me!

Hand-pulled. Contains emulated invert sugars (formulated from Billington sugars, sucrose based), but this isn't a comparison because no-one makes "No.4" invert sugar to compare with. But the black colour comes from the sugar, the tiny amount of black malt only helps. And the reason it's indoors; I'm really lying about it being black! A dark brown perhaps? Doesn't look very "stout-like" outdoors. Ron Pattinson describes it as being more like a "porter" and I'm certainly not arguing! I didn't boil the black malt as Boddington's did; my water is playing about again (mash pH5.8!) and adding it to the mash got it down to 5.7 (Note: you shouldn't normally use one of the high alkalinity "stout/porter" water profiles when holding back the roast malts from the mash).

Not remarkable. But a pleasant enough beer. The "raw sugar" flavours don't appear to dominate or be "masking" like I worried they might be (but remember it took me 30-40 years to recognise treacle and molasses were doing that to my "OP" clones). But there is a hint of dark sugar "lushness", but how authentic this is would be anybody's guess ... I'd have expected the original (Victorian) No.4 Invert Sugar to have been pretty rough (given the raw materials they might deal with). If you want roast grain flavours in your "stout" you don't want this recipe! And it's certainly not hoppy, inside "Mild" territory, but this seemed to be the way for provincial beers. Perhaps describe this beer as a very dark bitter?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 am

Cobnut wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:09 am
I had another go at the Durden Park Beer Circle's "favourite" beer - the 1850 Whitbread London Porter. ...
Hi Cobnut. Good to hear from you! I'd wondered what happened to your Porter; last post I'd seen it was redecorating your room 'cos you'd tapped it when still a tad "lively"! [EDIT: That took a bit of finding ... this was it, eh, I think? Historic Porter's, Stouts and Milds - Brewing Methods]

That 1850 period was the reason I split my "historical" posts in the 19th century. Too much going on to keep up continuity in the thread. I was pondering that period earlier this year (and no doubt you'd seen it): Ales and Beers (17th, 18th and a bit of 19th Century) - Page 5.

I was intending to have another crack at that mid-century Whitbread Porter for this coming Christmas, but never got around to it. It was going to be "Bretted" and blended with "mild" version to try and get more authenticity, plus adapt my brown malts to be more like period (it would have been "higher-dried" by then, darker, and not diastatic). Apparently (I'm possibly mis-interpreting Ron Pattinson here who's been digging up a lot of stuff on brown malt recently) they may have introduced mesh cylinders in the kilns to make the job of turning the malt at higher temperature tolerable, more consistent, and less of a risk of burning the malt house down.

They were still not finishing in the new-fangled rotating cylinder kilns (which produce modern brown malt) but may have used them for a part of the kilning. The wire drums may still have been operation after WWI, but Porter had long given up its ground to "Mild Ales".

"Emulating" all that was way too much work for me right now. So, I have mucked about emulating "Invert Sugars" (which makes up most of this thread) and have a go at these provincial recipes like that "Boddington's 1901 Stout" above. They even had the audacity to call it "stout". Didn't contain any brown malt either, probably because all the provincial malt-houses had burnt down! I have got an 18th century "Stitch ale" (100% diastatic brown malt and drunk young or "mild") planned for this coming Christmas though.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:41 pm

Just when you thought it was safe to come out ... I'm back! This time assessing my "emulation" of Ragus "Medium" Invert Sugar (No.2).

Two months ago, it was Hancock's 1898 XX (Mild) recipe from Ron Pattinson's grubbing about in brewery archives (that was to test "Dark" Invert Sugar, or "No.3"), this time it's Boddie's 1901 AK (Light Bitter). First off, the Ragus sugar.
Boddies1901AK.JPG
Boddies1901AK.JPG (40.63 KiB) Viewed 320231 times
It's only in its second day but "primary" ferment is done. The records have it finishing at 1.013, not 1.016, but it has a few days before casking/kegging. Can't expect accuracy of FG, especially as I'm using a yeast that I'm not that used to (Lallemand's "Windsor") and I'm using a new season's batch of Chavallier barley malt (they are still tweaking the malting, apparently, so I can't go by experience of previous use). It's a very simple recipe of pale malt and 10% invert sugar, and I've taken Ron's recommendation to use "No.2" (He reckoned it could also have been "No.1"). And I've taken Ron's hop recommendations (logged as "Californian" and "English") and used US Cluster, English Fuggles and, for late hops, English (East Kent) Goldings.

Usual "full boil volume mash" and split making over two days (boil second day), although the "no chill cooling" method is tempting me for splitting the workload (especially following a power outage for the entire morning of the second day).

Next up the same recipe but using my emulation of Invert Sugar: 24% Billington's Light Muscovado in a "base sugar". Previously I'd used "Golden Caster Sugar" as the base, but this time I'll try Dextrose (Glucose) sugar and see if using a monosaccharide (Invert Sugar is made up of the monosaccharides Glucose and Fructose) makes any discernible difference (Ragus use "clear" invert sugar syrup in their emulation; plus 20% pure Dextrose to seed the syrup solid!).

The time for fermentation to start is interesting from that graph: I'd expected a fairly fast start using "Real" Invert Sugar like before, but this time it started a slow creeping ferment within 2 or 3 hours of pitching before kicking off properly after 8 or 9 hours. The (dried) yeast was rehydrated, but at 30C as per instructions this time (I usually chicken-out of using such warm water for rehydration): Perhaps that had an influence too?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:46 am

"Part 2" of the "No.2 Invert Sugar" trial is finishing up (this is my emulation of the Invert Sugar using light Muscovado sugar to supply flavour components in a Dextrose base):
Boddies1901AKii.JPG
Boddies1901AKii.JPG (39.4 KiB) Viewed 320170 times
Very similar fermentation profile to using Ragus Invert Sugar (M). Appears to have finished a bit earlier, or else fermentation is going to carry on slowly and I'll have a drier comparison.

Like with the Ragus Invert, the glucose (dextrose in this case, Invert previously) seems to be making for a fast, but gradual, start. This ferment hasn't been as "turbulent" as last week's Ragus Invert version.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:19 am

This trial of No.2 ("M") Invert Sugar has been a bit of a ... "trial"?

The first batch of "AK" (Ragus Invert) was ready for drinking only after a couple of weeks casked. It developed a very fruity flavour, distinctly so, "Tutti-fruitti" was how it struck me. The second batch (my emulated Invert, dextrose based) was hugely different; not tutti-fruitti, but it was sulphurous.

So, while I waited (and hoped) the "sulphur" would dissipate I relied on the first which was half empty by the time the "sulphur" one had sorted itself out. By which time the first was undergoing extensive "venting" as it decided to referment ("fobbing", "bletting", I forget the term I used 40 years ago now?) and the "tutti-fruitti" had virtually evaporated from the first. Never done it before, but a gravity reading was in order: They were both casked at just short of 1.013, the "Ragus" version was now 1.0056 :shock: and my emulation 1.0115 (pyknometer, 4DP).

I never expected to be able to pick out a difference with No.2 Invert (it's not strongly flavoured), but these two beers had such different up-bringing, and the FGs were ten points apart, these two had to be different:
20221002_142816_WEB.jpg
20221002_142816_WEB.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 320040 times
Both hand-pumped, both vented back to at 2 - 2.5 PSI. Both at room temperature (quite warm, about 18°C).

Look identical. But that's the easy bit. Taste ... identical! Blind taste? Except it already is 'cos I'm forgetting which way around I put them. The righthand is my emulation? But as with the Hancock XX batches I have a "subliminal" preference for the righthand one, which suggests it is the Ragus version. No good, let me fill the glasses back up :beer: I was right first-time ... identical, but slight preference for my emulated Invert version this time, it was rounder and slightly fuller in flavour, but it seems more likely I'm picking up the higher gravity?

Overall, this AK is lighter than some of the Victorian attempts I've made of late. Not as full as some of my preferred beers, but not as thin as some current commercial offerings. It is probably dry, but offset by the fullness, and has a mild lemony acidity. There remains a background fruitiness in both versions. All-in-all, not bad at all (being a Boddington's recipe, that last sentence nearly choked me).

To put the tasting in perspective: There was a background taste in the right-hand one. It was ... it was ... "Fairy Liquid"! Didn't make sense, I don't hand-wash, it's what I got a dishwasher for! But on thinking about it, my partner is resident, and she doesn't like my dishwasher! Oddly, I can taste "Fairy Liquid" on my glasses, but not the rest of my crockery.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:09 pm

Quite a lot to digest there PeeBee, give me time and I might get my head around it. I shall make no comment on Fairy Liquid, we don't use it.

Tasted my Westmalle Dubbel to Graham's recipe with white sugar as promised, and while it was anything but unpleasant, it was different to that with invert, either homemade or Ragus.

The last few pints of my Hancock XX were dumped, not because it had gone off or any such reason but was taking space and not being drank with better offerings available.

I've had beers with sugar have gravities approaching unity, so your 1.0056 is not necessarily a surprise.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:22 pm

2 or 3 weeks later my "dextrose based" Boddies AK version decides to catch-up the "Ragus" version (and surpass; SG 1.003 by pyknometer). It seems the "Windsor" yeast isn't so "dextrin averse" after all. Can't say it's an improvement, I'd better stick with S-33 from now on.

With no "preference" for one or the other I can safely say my emulation and Ragus's emulation (No.2 Invert Sugar) are indistinguishable.

My next three brews will use my "emulations" of "No.1" and "No.2" Invert Sugars. The yeast for my next ("Truman's 1909 X", using Wyeast #1099!) went into a starter today. A "Mild Ale" but surprisingly like modern day "Old Perculier" (without the dark roast malt).

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:29 pm

November almost done with, crap, it'll be Christmas soon!

The AX is all gone, but I put that Truman's 1909 "X" on and I'm drinking it now. I've also got a 1937 Whitbread "33", but still in the fermenter (a "Burton Ale" for those with good imaginations). Both had "Invert Sugar in their formulations ("No.2" and "No.3" respectively) but I'm done with that "project" and remain surprised how easily these keystone ingredients were to create (to match Ragus's emulations) - and not a pan of seething sugar syrup in sight. I must get on and scribble up some generic compositions for "Invert Sugars", but they may have to wait for the New Year.

What a fine little project that "Invert Sugar" emulation has been. What a great relief to have learnt all that standing over pans of scolding hot sugar syrups was utter boll**** (bet there will still be crazed home brewers who continue doing it). I can get back to my "Brown Malt" emulations now ... ah, already have with 20L of 18th Century "Stitch Ale" ready to cask. But that's out of this thread's timeline so I'll need to take it elsewhere.

Gosh, this attempt at Truman's "X" is rather nice. But there's something about it that does not correspond with "historical". I think it's because I attempted to "lose" some Simpson Imperial Malt in it (I had no "mild ale malt"). I was unimpressed when I used the malt last, but this time it has developed a flavour and mouthfeel like Simpson's Amber Malt, an indispensable ingredient in "Fuller's 1845". A warming, "golden", mouth filling lushness ... quite out-of-place in what I hoped would be a historical recreation. A flavour like ... like ... Werther's Originals!

Aren't they butterscotch? :twisted:

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:36 pm

I've a couple of "Milds" lined up from Ron Pattinson's publishings: "1914 Courage X Ale" from his Blog site (it is not in the "Mild!" book) and "1915 Noakes X" from the "Mild!" book. ... Both on the threshold of WWI before the gravities slumped to the 1.030 mark ... and both containing "black malt" (rare!) so there's a chance of something truly "dark"?
I need to record it here because that post is buried in another thread, and I keep losing it!

I'll skip the Noaks X 'cos I'm a bit wary of using 25% sugar in a recipe (the 20% in the Whitbread '33 was noticeable - it felt like a mild acidic-like "grabbing" sensation - but did moderate after 5 or six weeks maturing). And despite the black malt the Noaks recipe doesn't appear to come out darker than the Truman X (1909) recipe I did for Xmas. So, Courage X it is, borderline dark amber or brown, but perhaps still an early "dark" mild. The 1914 recipe because it was already being severely affected by WWI by 1916, from which the X-Ales never recovered (and we ended up with very weak "Mild Ale" instead).

1914 Courage X-Ale: Barclay Perkins Blogspot

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:11 pm

Haven't put my "1914 Courage X" on yet, better get me finger out. But Ron Pattinson has been working on his next book ("Stout") which is distracting; I'll have to polish up my work on "brown malt" to brew a few "London Stouts", but by this time I imagine "old" brown malt" has morphed into something more like "modern" brown malt? (More evenly kilned, using indirect heat). I was working on emulating "old" brown malt >here<.

Still, "modern" brown malt won't be smoky. I'm pleased that the concept of "old" brown malt not being at all smoky is turning out to be a nonsense. Less smoky, perhaps? But even hornbeam dried malt is going to still be smoky (as the reports RP is digging up proves). By this period (late 19th Century and 20th Century) they were adding wood to the kilning fires to keep it "smoky".

This is some chatter about "Hertfordshire Brown Malt" which might not be as previously seemed? The Other Brown Malt

[EDIT: I wrote up some stuff on brown malt in this thread: Brown Malt, not this thread.]

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:51 pm

So, following the first post in this thread, and likely upsetting PeeBee's applecart, sorry, yesterday I inverted some sugar as the last homemade supplies went into my latest brew, an attempt at Lorimer's Best Scotch. The following details that process.

There's economy in scale, so this time 2Kg of Tate and Lyle Granulated Cane Sugar was added to 950g of tapwater treated with acid (hydrochloric in my case) to eliminate all alkalinity, that is pH<4.4. The mixture was stirred and heated and as it was approaching simmering point, the sugar could be seen to be nearly, but distinctly not, fully in solution. More of my hydrochloric acid was added at this point, the equivalent of about 2mL of AMS/CRS to lower pH and speed up the rate of inversion, and was immediately obvious as the mixture was stirred to become totally clear.

Invert sugar is more soluble than sucrose, so when a partially oversaturated sucrose solution inverts to fructose and dextrose, all is dissolved and the liquid clarifies.

After 15 minutes of gentle simmering the solution had gone from colourless to a very pale straw colour, and half was poured into another pan, both with gentle heat to maintain a simmer together will occasional stirring. To one 110g of demerara sugar was added and to the other 110g of Tate and Lyle Black Treacle. Both were simmered for another 10 minutes and stirred, then allowed to cool with a gram or so (no more) sodium bicarbonate gently added to neutralise excess acid.
R0010882.JPG
R0010882.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 319562 times
No prize for guessing which is which, but the pale will be used as #1 and the dark as #3 and a mix of the two for #2. These do not rank as highly for me as Ragus' does, but as a Kg bag of T&L in B&M this morning was 95p, and can certainly prove its worth in beer.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Eric wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:51 pm
... likely upsetting PeeBee's applecart ...
You can't do that. Apples are out of season, and I'm a stickler for such things. So, there's nowt in the applecart to upset. :)

Anyway, I'm not arguing with what you're doing. I still don't see the point of all that "inverting" business, but quite accept people will do as they please with the "base" sugar. You are not caramelising sugar syrups for hours on end which is what will wind me up!

But I have been trawling through this thread looking for the Invert Sugar formulation I came up with (for making some more beer ... I'm running out!). I assembled this list of my "key moments" (for me; basically "bookmarks" for me that might baffle some as to why I include it, but the red one is the "Invert" emulations recipes I couldn't find):

Brown Malt
Summary
Standing-on-the-shoulders-of-giants
Summary (again: THBF)
Summary
*** "Invert" Emulations ***
Qtrs and cwts mix-up
Review

I do need to update these Invert Sugar emulations to be a bit more "generic". There's not much point trying to copy Ragus output as they were just one (the last remaining) example amongst a host of other manufacturers that either don't exist, or don't produce "brewer's invert", no more. The Muscovado sugars I use are a bit too variable to pretend I'm creating Ragus clones anyhow. But the Ragus "baseline" has been most useful to establish my own believable range of recipes.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:03 pm

Crikey, I didn't 'arf make those "Invert Sugar" formulations complicated! To simplify them:

BASE SUGAR
I used Billington's "Golden Castor Sugar" and/or "Dextrose" (aka. glucose or "corn sugar"). I used all dextrose as base or 20% of total (like Ragus) ... it ferments easier and quicker but may have unknown implications?

You could use ordinary granulated white sugar, or, if you must, even baker's clear invert syrup, or make your own neutral invert syrup base (see "Eric's" post above). Don't use Golden Syrup, it's quite strongly caramelised.

This "base" is only fermentables, we get on to flavours next (the key was subtle use of flavoured sugars).

FLAVOURING SUGAR
(As a percentage of total sugar. If using a syrup as "base" make allowance for water content).

Using Billington's "Light Muscovado Sugar". Demerara, Molasses syrup, black treacle, "generic" brown sugar, etc. were found to be too variable to use predictably. I personally tested these using the lower figure in the range (sugar purchased mid 2022).

Invert Sugar "No.1" ... 12 - 15% Light Muscovado Sugar
Invert Sugar "No.2" ... 24 - 30% Light Muscovado Sugar
Invert Sugar "No.3" ... 48 - 60% Light Muscovado Sugar*

* Billington's "Dark Muscovado Sugar" preferred; see next.

Invert Sugar "No.3" ... 17 - 20% Dark Muscovado Sugar
Invert Sugar "No.4" ... 85 - 90% Dark Muscovado Sugar

Avoid "No.4". It was rarely used, and the above formulation is probably too "nice" (the reality was it was by far the "roughest" of these sugars used). I used 60% Billington's "Molasses Sugar" in the trials for "No.4", but that sugar is less easy to find.

If you want more information, find it in the rest of the thread!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:27 pm

Eric threw me some links to Ragus which might also interest some folk. That they are not talking about "Brewer's Invert Sugar" which might surprise some folk, but despite being the last manufacturer of "Brewer's Invert Sugar" it only amounts to a tiny fraction of their sales (breweries use all sorts of other sugar products now, sucrose - not invert - based!).

Muscovado Sugar
Light Muscovado Sugar
Dark Muscovado Sugar

This one on Golden Syrup is interesting too, even if not obviously connected. They are fabricating an "emulation" of that too (like they do for "Brewer's Invert Sugar") and are fibbing a little saying the recipe hasn't changed in 150 years. Note this stuff, unlike "Brewer's Invert Sugar", is "caramelised" (video):

Golden Syrup

(The video especially).

There're loads of other interesting sugary stuffs on that site!