Theakston old Peculier

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Graham

Re: Theakston old Peculier

Post by Graham » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Korev wrote:Thanks for your comments - however I brewed your recipe today and it is not anywhere near 95EBC see colour below. The grist other than the JW Choc which was 900 EBC vs 1050 was the same. So to test it further please could you confirm the crystal you used was 145 EBC and could you confirm what Brand of UK choc malt was used in your recipe.
I was afraid that that was going to happen. 8-[

The colour was estimated using 130 IoB/EBC crystal, but that shouldn't make a busting lot of difference. The recipe was adjusted to 95 EBC mathematically using 1050 IoB/EBC chocolate malt to match the colour that O.P is reputed to be. 1050 is a typical average of the standard chocolate malts available. They vary all over the place and there are wide manufacturing tolerances on it too.

900 IoB/EBC chocolate malt is at about the low end of the standard chocolates available in Britain. If it is 900 IoB it isn't going to make enough difference to worry about. If, however, Aussies use the European mash to determine colour, rather than the Institute of Brewing mash, then 900 IoB/EBC is equivalent to 775 EBC/EBC. That would produce a beer of 76 EBC, but that is still a lot darker than your photo shows.

So I do not know what the answer is. In this very thread, two people have made a dark beer using this recipe, and now two people have not, so the jury is still out.
Mr. OldThumper, here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23861&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p265248
got a jet black beer using the same recipe.

The other person that ended up with a pale beer thinks that he may have forgotten to crush the chocolate malt, but his photo of the beer looks remarkably pale even for that.

So, I am stumped.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:13 pm

I followed your recipe to the letter with off the shelf grain from my LHBS, and considering it was my first AG, I was very impressed.
This has been my best beer to date, and the colour was spot on.

If anything this is better than the real thing, no actually, it is better.
I didn't look at EBC's and so on, just went with the provided grain, and its come out a really dark porter colour.
Will post a pic if that helps to prove Graham right.

Damn, that means having to go to the shed right now and get a sample. #-o
What'll I do with it then??! :lol:

EDIT: There ya go. <hic!> All in the interests of science I suppose :mrgreen:

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Cheers Chris. That's put my mind at rest. [-o<

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:53 pm

It's put me into a state of rest of another kind! As long as its for the greater good, I'll gladly test any beers on your behalf!

Just wondering if it's a good idea to go back for another....

oh, go on then!

Korev
Sober

Post by Korev » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:19 am

Not really a question of right or wrong - more about why the difference there must be a rational explanation.

Well now at least Graham can sleep easy and Chris is well on the way

Chris please can you confirm the brands and colours of crystal and chocolate malts that you used from your LHBS

Thanks

Peter

hazard

Post by hazard » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:49 pm

Graham wrote:Cheers Chris. That's put my mind at rest. [-o<
Graham, since you are reading this thread, can you pls put my mind at rest - does OP have treacle innit?

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:23 pm

Be careful you haven't picked up/been given "Pale Chocolate Malt" by mistake? I'm making some of this on the coming Saturday and following this thread I've made sure I've got "Crushed" regular Chocolate Malt as opposed to "Uncrushed" Pale.
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:06 pm

Korev wrote:Not really a question of right or wrong - more about why the difference there must be a rational explanation.

Well now at least Graham can sleep easy and Chris is well on the way

Chris please can you confirm the brands and colours of crystal and chocolate malts that you used from your LHBS

Thanks

Peter

Peter,
It was all from Brupaks in their own packaging.
Grain is not easily to hand at the moment, but will try and look tomorrow if I remember for the stats.

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Brewing Graham's take on Old Peculier this afternoon. I'm also using s-04 as I'm hoping it will lend itself well to the brew. I'm not using any Irish Moss as I'm hoping for a Black version to obscure any potential hazes. As has been the case with all my recent beers I'm using a high alpha bittering hop and some nice aroma hops for the last 15 minutes..in this case EKG.

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

OldThumper

Post by OldThumper » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:31 am

I totally agree with chris_reboot - This beer has turned out superb and is the best beer I have brewed. I will be doing it again after I have done London Porter first.

Thanks Graham for such a good OP recipe and book :)

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 am

Encouraging words! My version was jet black in the fermenter and pitched some hydrated yeast into last night. The idea is to bottle this and lay it down for wintry sipping...looking outside I may have finished it by the end of "summer".

Fermenting - I'm Done

OldThumper

Post by OldThumper » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 am

I bottled mine back in april and I still have about 7 bottles left! How embarassing :oops:

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Sorry to raise a very old thread but on my 6th AG I went for an old old beer I love and had a go at OP using GW's recipe.

I went with MJ's M15 yeast knowing its issues finishing early and I only got down to 1.020 even after rousing, adding nutrients, raising temp to 23°c etc but couldn't get it down so beer ended up c. 5.1% abv. But the falvpurnit aded....wow.

After all my brew day issues (another story)and my first use of cornies (and the learning curve of pressure and line balancing etc.) I'm so proud if this. And the best thing is that SWMBO absolutely preferred my brew compared to the bottled version.

Guess which is mine ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:29 pm

Edit - "But the falvpurnit aded....wow." should say "but the flavour added - wow"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

billygoat
Sober

Post by billygoat » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:17 am

8DF17105-9985-4511-A65B-CBD2C390A50B.jpeg
8DF17105-9985-4511-A65B-CBD2C390A50B.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 1608 times
My version of OP using Graham’s recipe.
Bottled another version yesterday that had 100g of Lyles Black Treacle added to see what it brings.
Making beer so good goats want to drink it.