thin tasting beer from Keg

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
soneil8
Steady Drinker

thin tasting beer from Keg

Post by soneil8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Guys - I need help...... please!

I have been brewing quite a bit lately, and brew double batches (2*23litres) in one go. This means I can fill my 25litre sankey kegs and have some left for bottling.

However, the beer from the keg tastes thin, but the stuff from the bottle, once it has conditioned, tastes full bodies and really really good. I must say that there is still hop aromas and good bittering from the keg, but there just seems to be alack of body (maltiness almost).

Can anyone help me here? Am i doing somethign really stupid with my kegs?

Any help will be awesome,

Simon

mozza
Under the Table

Re: thin tasting beer from Keg

Post by mozza » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Do you force carbonate the kegs? Could just require tweaking the level of carbonation. I'm new to using a sankey keg though so just speculating :lol:
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

soneil8
Steady Drinker

Post by soneil8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:36 pm

I generally carbonate to 15psi or maybe 20psi then leave it to sit. They have been in the garage, which is pretty cold at this time of year. If it drops too much (as it carbonates) I'll top it up. The latest brew hasbeen there for approx 3-4 weeks in the keg, so don't assume it will improve much now??????

Martin G

Post by Martin G » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:23 am

What temps are you serving each at? Colder will reduce some of the flavour.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 pm

I always found my beer was much better from bottles then kegs, hence I now bottle all my beer into old quart bottles, so it doesn't take too long to bottle 80 pints. I find it is usually ready to drink in about a week.

soneil8
Steady Drinker

Post by soneil8 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Martin G wrote:What temps are you serving each at? Colder will reduce some of the flavour.

Does the colder temp reduce some of the 'body' as well as the flavour?

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Beer in a bottle is a much different beast to beer in a keg. I agree with slayer and prefer beer that's beet bottle conditioned but kegs are very convinient.

Your serving pressures do seem very high for ales, especially if its cold. Over carbing could make a beer thin and tasteless. I tend to serve at 2-4 psi.

soneil8
Steady Drinker

Post by soneil8 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:41 pm

So 2-4 psi serving at 10degrees...... Is that ideal?

gnutz2

Post by gnutz2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Try it, see if you like it :)

IMO it's down to personal preference.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:17 pm

If you over carbonate, you'll reduce the mouth feel. It's good for making RIS' easier to drink :)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:23 am

soneil8 wrote:Hi Guys - I need help...... please!

I have been brewing quite a bit lately, and brew double batches (2*23litres) in one go. This means I can fill my 25litre sankey kegs and have some left for bottling.

However, the beer from the keg tastes thin, but the stuff from the bottle, once it has conditioned, tastes full bodies and really really good. I must say that there is still hop aromas and good bittering from the keg, but there just seems to be alack of body (maltiness almost).

Simon
You are obviously not force carbonating the bottles perhaps this is the answer. #-o
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind

soneil8
Steady Drinker

Post by soneil8 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:13 pm

IPA wrote:
soneil8 wrote:Hi Guys - I need help...... please!

Simon
You are obviously not force carbonating the bottles perhaps this is the answer. #-o
I agree.... Does that mean I could add some sugar to my king keg, rack the fermented beer into it and leave it condition like a 'big bottle'. Once it has conditioned, rack the beer into my sankey keg for serving?

Thanks for all the comments so far....

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:14 pm

I don't know about Sankey kegs but I always naturally condition my cornies and never get more than half a glass of cloudy beer when I draw off for the first time.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are

soneil8
Steady Drinker

Post by soneil8 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 pm

IPA wrote:I don't know about Sankey kegs but I always naturally condition my cornies and never get more than half a glass of cloudy beer when I draw off for the first time.

by this do you mean add a little sugar?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:27 pm

soneil8 wrote:
IPA wrote:I don't know about Sankey kegs but I always naturally condition my cornies and never get more than half a glass of cloudy beer when I draw off for the first time.

by this do you mean add a little sugar?
4 grams of household sugar per litre will be enough for bitter.

Be who you are