Carbonation moves sediment?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Battleaxe

Carbonation moves sediment?

Post by Battleaxe » Sat May 21, 2016 5:14 pm

I bottled a Centennial SmaSh two weeks ago, from experience its always been a good drink right from a week in the bottle, however this time I ended up with a lot of Trub and Hop debris in the FV as such the bottle sedimentation is very light... Annoyingly now when I open one and the pressure is released the carbonation disturbs all the sediment and my beer is lovely but incredibly cloudy...

Any thoughts on how to stop this in future?

rpt
Hollow Legs

Re: Carbonation moves sediment?

Post by rpt » Sat May 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Firstly you need to minimise the hop and other debris in the FV. Then you need to leave as much behind as possible when you transfer to the bottling bucket. Plus, some yeasts are better at sticking to the bottom of the bottle.

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Sun May 22, 2016 10:29 am

Do you have the facility to cold crash? If so, that will help immensely.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Sun May 22, 2016 11:19 am

Simple, use Gervin/Nottingham yeast, sticks to the bottom of the bottle and never moves. I never waste a drop when I pour and never cloudy.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun May 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Racking to a secondary is overlooked these days.

Battleaxe

Post by Battleaxe » Sun May 22, 2016 4:22 pm

McMullan wrote:Racking to a secondary is overlooked these days.
Definitely, for my "Hoppier" batches I'm going to transfer to secondary from now on. I don't mind a bit of haze but when the whole cake in the bottle disintegrates into the glass it's not ideal when others try my beer...

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:46 pm

I usually get the fv into syphoning position about 2 to 3 days before I rack to a bottling bucket and batch prime. I dont disturb the trub this way and I get great results.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon May 23, 2016 8:33 am

Why is it overlooked? In my opinion it is vital. To quote once again. "IF YOU WANT CLEAR BEER COMING OUT YOU NEED CLEAR BEER GOING IN" Not my words but so very true.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 pm

IPA wrote:Why is it overlooked? In my opinion it is vital. To quote once again. "IF YOU WANT CLEAR BEER COMING OUT YOU NEED CLEAR BEER GOING IN" Not my words but so very true.
I get perfectly clear beer without racking to secondary, so I don't see the point.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Mon May 23, 2016 6:47 pm

sonicated wrote:
IPA wrote:Why is it overlooked? In my opinion it is vital. To quote once again. "IF YOU WANT CLEAR BEER COMING OUT YOU NEED CLEAR BEER GOING IN" Not my words but so very true.
I get perfectly clear beer without racking to secondary, so I don't see the point.
Same here, 7 to 10 days top in the FV and then bottle, clear in a few days.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Mon May 23, 2016 6:59 pm

I usually leave it about three weeks in the FV, cold crash then keg. I know it's just aesthetic but clear beer is really important to me, I like it that way and I want to serve friends something that looks what they get in a pub.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 pm

IPA wrote:
Why is it overlooked? In my opinion it is vital. To quote once again. "IF YOU WANT CLEAR BEER COMING OUT YOU NEED CLEAR BEER GOING IN" Not my words but so very true.
You had to ask, didn't you? :lol: Here

Wezzel

Post by Wezzel » Mon May 23, 2016 9:33 pm

OMG. The secondary issue is as divisive as the EU referendum. There is no correct answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon May 23, 2016 9:56 pm

Wezzel wrote:OMG. The secondary issue is as divisive as the EU referendum. There is no correct answer. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes there is!

WA

Sent from my ipad not using Tapatalk.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed May 25, 2016 8:29 am

Beer clears slowly from the top and yeast drops to the bottom. Transferring to a secondary causes this to happen twice. If you then fine the secondary it further clears the beer. If you then transfer to a bottling vessel it is even clearer. My bottled beer using this process is so clear that you can pour the whole contents into a glass and it is crystal clear. And yours?. (With apologies to to the grammar police for starting a sentence with a conjunction)
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Be who you are
Because those that mind don't matter
And those that matter don't mind