Hop plants. Heads up.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
AJS

Hop plants. Heads up.

Post by AJS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Hops plants are now becoming available for bare root stock. I just bought two Cascade from http://www.willingham-nurseries.co.uk/hop3.html. I missed out last year because I left it too late, they soon go.

Any tips on hop growing welcome. Will two plants be enough?

wmfd
Piss Artist

Re: Hop plants. Heads up.

Post by wmfd » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:04 pm

AJS wrote:Any tips on hop growing welcome. Will two plants be enough?
I planted a couple of hop plants a few years ago and they're romping away. So give them plenty of space and somewhere they can climb (one of mine covers the trellis it is on and is in the process of taking over an ornamental cherry!). They were from Willingham; who seem to do good plants.

Will it be enough? That depends: You can never have too many hops I've found drying etc to be a bit of a faff Not sure when you should feed, I haven't yet, but probably should,

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

brew like a dog

Post by brew like a dog » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:12 pm

I am at the end of my second year growing hops in my garden. At the end of the first year, i put together a video basically showing everything i did to grow them. I hope this helps :)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:37 am

the mistake i made year #1 was to chop the vines, sorry Bines down to harvest the hops, I discovered after a disastrous yr #2 crop that the roots would have benefited from the input from the remaining month or so of sunlight on the leaves before they died back. so my top tip would be to harvest off the growing bines for the first few years and allow the root stock to grow and flourish..

thankfully even in my heavy water ridden clay soil they came back for a good crop in year 3 and i harvested off the growing bines so fingers crossed for year #4 ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

brew like a dog

Post by brew like a dog » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Fil wrote:the mistake i made year #1 was to chop the vines, sorry Bines down to harvest the hops
That's what i do too. My bines were only cut back last week but some people leave them even longer. Looking at some wild hops, it looks like the spring growth uses last years dead bines to climb up. Nature's way i guess. However, if you ask ten different gardeners the same question, you are likely to get ten different answers LoL :) :) The important thing at tthe end of the day is to get your home grown cones into a homebrew! :)

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:59 pm

I've still not cut back my first year plant, how high up the bine should you cut it? Or should it be cut right at ground level?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:15 pm

ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(