Placing of Inkbird Temperature Probe

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Col Robinson
Tippler

Placing of Inkbird Temperature Probe

Post by Col Robinson » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm

A question for Inkbird users. I’ve seen a video, from Malt Miller if memory serves me right, in which the guy recommends putting the temperature probe in a jar full of steriliser solution instead of taping it to the outside of the fermentation bin. The jar then sits in the fridge next to the fermie bin.
Does anyone use this method? I would have thought that, because there is much less liquid in the jar than the fermie bin, the probe would be telling the inkbird to alternately heat up or cool down before the wort reached the desired temperature? I mean, a jar full of liquid will heat up/cool down much more rapidly than a bin containing 19 litres. Or am I missing something here?

McMullan

Re: Placing of Inkbird Temperature Probe

Post by McMullan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 pm

The best option is to feed it into a thermowell placed in the wort to measure the actual temperature. Next best option is to tape it to the FV wall and cover with a little insulation. I wouldn't put the probe directly in liquid, especially something like sanitiser. The only time I'd do what you're suggesting (probe in a small bottle) is to stabilise the temperature controller, say, in a serving fridge or keezer. In that case glycerol is the best thing to use, rather than sanitiser.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:09 pm

I put mine on the outside of the fermenter with some insulation over it to begin with. The reason is because I’m trying to control the fermentation temperature. If you have the probe in a jar of water then your chiller will not react to run away fermentations, which can be a problem for bigger beers.

Towards the end of fermentation I’ll take off the insulation so I don’t add to much heat/cooling to the fermenter.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 am

Col Robinson wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm
I mean, a jar full of liquid will heat up/cool down much more rapidly than a bin containing 19 litres. Or am I missing something here?
No...you are not missing anything.

As previously advised, a Thermowell is the best option followed by taping the probe to the wall of the FV and insulating it with something like bubble wrap.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Malt Miller does a range of thermowells. What's your fermenter made of?

Guy

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:52 pm

FWIW I do the same as Jocky. I’ve taped a patch of insulation material, on to the bin half way up, to form a pouch, the stuff you put behind room radiators to reflect the heat.
I simply slide the sensor in, and remove when I take the bin out of the fridge.
I do have a stainless bin that being a better conductor of heat than plastic, gives a more accurate reading of what’s going on inside.
From reading previous posts when fermentation is vigorous it could be warmer inside the vessel than where I’ve got it positioned. On a couple of occasions, after sterilising, and when fermentation is going like the clappers, I’ve dropped the sensor in the beer from the hole in the lid to see what difference I get. It’s barely 0.5c.
Good enough for me!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:46 am

I recently bought a SS conical (from Brewbuilder btw) and specced a thermowell as part of the order.

I also use a Tilt hydrometer which reports wort temperature.

I brewed a Kveik Pale Ale yesterday which called for a high pitching temperature of almost 40C which showed up a significant difference between the STC-100 probe in the thermowell and the Tilt in the wort of around 2C.

At more normal ale/lager temperatures, I've noticed a difference of a degree or so, but this surprised me.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:46 am

If attaching to the side, I find ratchet straps are better than tape to hold the insulated pouch to the fermenter.

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:54 am

nickjdavis wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 am
As previously advised, a Thermowell is the best option followed by taping the probe to the wall of the FV and insulating it with something like bubble wrap.
Many intuitively presume that the internal temperature will likely prove to be noticeably higher than the surface temperature, but due to the churning of the Wort by the yeast, actual dual measurements of internal and surface temperature are much closer than intuitively envisioned. Very little difference is measured if insulation is placed over the surface probe.
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:14 pm

Silver_Is_Money wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:54 am
nickjdavis wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 am
Many intuitively presume that the internal temperature will likely prove to be noticeably higher than the surface temperature, but due to the churning of the Wort by the yeast, actual dual measurements of internal and surface temperature are much closer than intuitively envisioned. Very little difference is measured if insulation is placed over the surface probe.
That assumption is based on an overly simplistic model that all yeast cells (of the same strain) are doing exactly the same thing during active fermentation, when most heat evolves, and all FVs are the same. This is simply not the case. In reality what we have during active fermentation is a heterogeneous environment that doesn't necessarily conform to convenient generalisations and averages. Welcome to biology! An 'ideology' to some. It depends on what the FV is made from (glass, type of plastic, stainless, etc.) and how thick its walls are. And which yeast strain is used. Some strains ferment at a higher rate, for instance, with a higher rate of exothermic reaction going on therefore producing more heat, unless laws of physics are being broken. So, the best advice really is, if it's an option, use a thermowell to measure actual wort temperature. If not, fit an insulated temperature probe to the external wall of the FV. If neither's an option, set the temperature 3-4℃ below the desired temperature during active fermentation.
Last edited by McMullan on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D215Aquitania
Sober

Post by D215Aquitania » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:50 am

I'm using an Inkbird strapped to the side of the (plastic) fermenter (under a chunk of foam sponge) & a Tilt inside it. With the Inkbird set to 18C the Tilt is reporting within +/- 1/2C of that. There's a bit of rounding going on (the Tilt works to the nearest 1F & then converts to C iirc) but that's close enough for me.

Silver_Is_Money
Piss Artist

Post by Silver_Is_Money » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:04 pm

D215Aquitania wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:50 am
I'm using an Inkbird strapped to the side of the (plastic) fermenter (under a chunk of foam sponge) & a Tilt inside it. With the Inkbird set to 18C the Tilt is reporting within +/- 1/2C of that. There's a bit of rounding going on (the Tilt works to the nearest 1F & then converts to C iirc) but that's close enough for me.
Thank you! Real science such as this always trumps intuition. You have confirmed what many have also directly observed and reported in the past, I.E., that there isn't a difference that matters between internal and insulated surface temperature measure.
Developer of 'Mash Made Easy', a free and complete mash pH adjustment assistant spreadsheet

https://mashmadeeasy.yolasite.com/

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:25 pm

D215Aquitania wrote:
In what context exactly? During active fermentation? Every time? How do you actually record the Inkbird output, a quick look-see occasionally? Using a Tilt and Inkbird calibrated under the same conditions then confirmed to be ‘comparable’? Otherwise there is a chance both outputs are wrong to varying degrees and your assumption your fermentations are within +/- 0.5℃ of your desired set temperature is just that, an assumption. It could be way out. You could be biased by superstitious beliefs and cultural expectations of what you’re supposed to observe, according to home-brew lore. Not exactly ‘real science’ but ‘close enough’ for you. It’s fine. It’s only home brew, right?

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:29 pm

D215Aquitania wrote:
What is your Inkbird doing? Is it controlling a heater/cooler?

The other thing worth noting is Tilts, in my experience, always move to the side of whatever vessel they are in. So your Tilt and Inkbird thermostat might be in almost the same place!

Guy

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:32 pm

Silver_Is_Money wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:04 pm
trumps intuition
:lol: