Overnight mashing

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Re: Overnight mashing

Post by micmacmoc » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:51 pm

I did this back in the past, left the tun covered in blankets and sleeping bags, was still quite warm the next morning, sparged as per and was a good result.

ElthamBrewer
Tippler

Post by ElthamBrewer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 pm

Reporting back on a first overnight mash - not from a "was it good beer" perspective, more of "did I get away with it with two kids on Easter break"

Process:
- Prepped the water during the day - I use a Berkey water filter, as although it doesn't remove any calcium or hardness, it does seem to give better clarity. Normally I'd do mash and sparge water, but I didn't have any means to keep sparge water at strike temperature overnight so instead I opted for a cold sparge (well, 60 degrees which is the temperature it comes out of the hot tap via the combi boiler)
- 6pm, distracted kids with TV whilst setting up the grainfather, weighing grain, etc. Slightly overreached when trying to precisely weigh the water additions, and hops, so kids went bonkers due to lack of supervision.
- Get GF to heat the water and put kids to bedtime
- Doughed in about 8pm. I recirculated until about 9pm at 67, then turned off the pump and left the heater on to keep it at 67 C overnight. I set it for 12 hours so it wouldn't do move on with the program.
- Picked it back up about 6:30am. Without the pump, I have a feeling there was a temperature differential between the top and bottom of the vessel but only of a few degrees. Next time I'll not be so sleepy and actually get a measurement. Thinking on it though, heat does rise. Turned back on the recirculation and did a ten minute mash-out at 77 C while I prepped sparge water from the tap.
- Sparge, boil for an hour, then into the FV and start cleaning up.
- All cleaned up by 9am.

It was definitely a less stressful process than trying to squeeze it all in on a single day when the kids are running riot. I think in future I may even do something like - Thursday - get as far as getting treated water into the GF, Friday - weigh grain and mash, Saturday before anyone is awake boil and tidy. It's easier to grab snatches of an hour then a 6 hour brew day.

In terms of the beer itself, I'll have to report back after fermentation. It's a bit darker than I was expected, and about 2 points over on the OG, and about 30 EBC compared to 24 I was expecting (I'm doing Wheeler's Flowers IPA recipe). I may steep the black and crystal malts next time.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:38 am

Snapshot ale!
Good work, that man. I agree much easier than spending all day at it.

I run away after boil and let it chill, but it might not be an option for everyone to leave it setup for so long.

This quote is so apt
McMullan wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am
... I brew because I like beer, not because I like brewing.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:45 am

I steep dark malts in a jug separately. Works well.

Also, you might also prefer cold holding overnight as this would save any variation in the recipe timings.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:36 pm

Just tried to program my BM for an overnight max step is 3hrs so will have to adjust my profile to accommodate.
Attachments
MASH.JPG
Falling apart together nicley🍻

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:00 am

That 3 hours max per step is a feature on the original BM.
Shouldn't be a problem, particularly with modern highly modified malts.

Haven't found a recipe that doesn't fit yet... Still time 🤣

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:35 am

Do you have a lager/Pilsner profile to hand Mashbag?

ElthamBrewer
Tippler

Post by ElthamBrewer » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:40 am

MashBag wrote:I steep dark malts in a jug separately. Works well.

Also, you might also prefer cold holding overnight as this would save any variation in the recipe timings.
Would you include crystal in that, or just the really dark stuff like roasted barley and black malt? I’m pondering now about other overnight styles - overnight stout or wheat beer could be lovely.

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 am

When I started doing full scale overnights, I found that the mash tended to be more set and clogged the slots on my draining manifold or the perforations in the false bottom of my bigger mash tun. Lining the tun with a full size bag, like the BIAB brewers do, and then running off and sparging as normal stops that happening. Whether that can be adapted to an all-in-one system, I have no idea. The bag doesn't have to be as strong as a BIAB bag as it doesn't get hoisted full of wet grain.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:48 pm

Got the first overnight out of the way today all done and in the fermenter all cleaned up by 10.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:16 pm

Nashbrew wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:48 pm
Got the first overnight out of the way today all done and in the fermenter all cleaned up by 10.
Nash,
What temp did it drop down to?
If it goes too low for putting in the Yeast, is it OK to raise the temp a little?

WA

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi Wales
Dropped to around 21c and pitched.
I have no fermenter temp control so temps go up and down in the house.
I cannot see any problem with warming the wort up a bit if you need to.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:39 pm

An Ankoù wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 am
When I started doing full scale overnights, I found that the mash tended to be more set and clogged the slots on my draining manifold or the perforations in the false bottom of my bigger mash tun. Lining the tun with a full size bag, like the BIAB brewers do, and then running off and sparging as normal stops that happening. Whether that can be adapted to an all-in-one system, I have no idea. The bag doesn't have to be as strong as a BIAB bag as it doesn't get hoisted full of wet grain.
To be clear these are not really an overnight 'mash' more a cold soak overnight and then mash normally to be ready to boil in the morning.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:40 pm

ElthamBrewer wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:40 am
MashBag wrote:I steep dark malts in a jug separately. Works well.

Would you include crystal in that, or just the really dark stuff like roasted barley and black malt? I’m pondering now about other overnight styles - overnight stout or wheat beer could be lovely.
Just the dark stuff.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:41 pm

Nashbrew wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm
Hi Wales
Dropped to around 21c and pitched.
I have no fermenter temp control so temps go up and down in the house.
I cannot see any problem with warming the wort up a bit if you need to.
Absolutely no issue.