Sensible Mole Brewery

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Col Robinson
Tippler

Sensible Mole Brewery

Post by Col Robinson » Tue May 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Jim, please delete if not allowed. I’ve just finished rewriting and redesigning my website which shows how all-grain brewing can be done, producing quality beers with the minimum of equipment and fuss in the kitchen without the need to spend £££s on shiny brewing systems. It’s ideal for brewers of kits and malt extract brewers who want to dip their toe into all-grain brewing, but hopefully experienced all-grain brewers will find something in it to interest them too.
There are details of all the equipment and materials needed, advice on how to get your water treatment bob on, a detailed walk through your first all-grain brewing day going through each bit of the process step by step, half a dozen of my own recipes to try, advice on how to create your own recipes and finally a list of other online resources any brewer will find helpful.
I hope you like it! Be kind! www.sensiblemole.com

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Sensible Mole Brewery

Post by Jim » Tue May 25, 2021 4:38 pm

That's fine Col. There was a problem with your link though, which appears to be related to the BB Code - I've fixed the link anyway.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Col Robinson
Tippler

Post by Col Robinson » Tue May 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Oops! Sorry about that Jim. Thanks very much for fixing the link. :)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue May 25, 2021 5:20 pm

'Jim's Beer Kit (discussion forum and website)'? It's a bit more than that, mate. In fact, it's a shed load more than that. And I'm sure the archives on this established home-brew forum have been trawled by many online 'experts' to populate their blogs with plagiarised content. So what are you offering that's so 'new' and not detailed already on Jim's? The main reason I ask is because I know what you're offering has already been covered here. And I noticed on your blog you mention the infamous PooTuber David Heath as an 'online resource' :? He's among the most idiotic home brewers around. I bet if you switched off his internet he couldn't brew a pot of tea :lol:
Last edited by McMullan on Tue May 25, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue May 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Thinking about it, it's a bit like walking into a Harry Ramsden’s fish & chips and asking if you could put up a flyer for your new, wait for it, fish & chips place down the road :? It's not the way :wink:
iu-5.png
iu-5.png (57.63 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue May 25, 2021 7:04 pm

And what's wrong with someone else taking the trouble to create a web site about home brewing and opening it up to JBK and the world?

The more the merrier, surely?

Guy

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue May 25, 2021 7:25 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:04 pm
And what's wrong with someone else taking the trouble to create a web site about home brewing and opening it up to JBK and the world?

Guy
Again, what's so 'new' and not detailed already here, on Jim's? I don't have a problem with diary-like blogs to document something personal. Don't advertise it unless it's novel, FFS. It's the marauding 'experts' who can't maintain even a straightforward discussion on the subject, let alone document how they acquired the plagiarised content, even in terms of the references that made them 'think'. If someone wants to reinvent the wheel they need to be able to justify their reinvention of it. Talking shit's not it, especially when you start plagiarising plagiarisers :lol: 'The more the merrier'? I read that along the lines of 1984. Orwellian? You know, when everyone starts believing in reinvented memes and other shit, instead of thinking? Whatever next? [Whoosh!] I suspect.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue May 25, 2021 7:32 pm

Just loosen up, McM.

Someone writing down what they hope will be helpful to home brewers is not a thought crime, is not offence against humanity and is not anything other than an honest attempt to add to the already huge amount of literature on home brewing.

Guy

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue May 25, 2021 8:03 pm

'Loosen up'? Spun by ignorance or 'I couldn't give a toss'. Whatever next, a 'debate' on climate heating due to fossil fuels? Do you need help, Guy?

Col Robinson
Tippler

Post by Col Robinson » Tue May 25, 2021 9:55 pm

I second the call to loosen up. McMullan, correct me if I’m wrong, but reading between the lines of your posts I somehow get the impression that you don’t like sensible mole dot com. 😊 I wonder what I’ve done to engender such angst.
As someone else has kindly pointed out, my site isn’t anything other than “an honest attempt to add to the already huge amount of literature on home brewing.” Which sums it up beautifully. I’ve been brewing for 30 years, a lot of it in my kitchen using minimal equipment. I remember how many questions I had when I first started and how much reading I had to do so I thought it might be helpful to put under one roof everything someone needs to turn out quality beer without spending a fortune on shiny equipment. As you will know there are lots of different ways to brew beer and this is my take on it. That’s all.
I’m not pretending that anything is ‘new’. I’d be surprised if any guidance on homebrewing pretended to be ‘new’. But surely there’s nothing wrong with people writing about the wrinkles and tips they’ve picked up over the years and detailing how they go about things.
I really do think you’re overreacting to be fair. 1984? Really? :)

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue May 25, 2021 9:59 pm

De-dah de-dah de-dah ... screech.

Evening all, what we got here then? ... Oh gawd, hang-on I'll be back in a mo ...

What you called me for? You know whenever I put it back in its cage it busts out again ... well who let it out? ... Well he can put it back in. Anyway, I'm knocking off for the night, I want me tea.

G'night all. Don't get up to mischief.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Tue May 25, 2021 11:03 pm

Col, while I admire your personal project of producing a very nice website, I think all John is saying that this is maybe trying to reinvent the wheel without all the knowledge and experience of the wheelmakers. If I were to advise anyone on brewing I would simply refer them to read Graham Wheeler's books and then ask questions on here, it's that simple.

Col Robinson
Tippler

Post by Col Robinson » Wed May 26, 2021 12:34 am

Good Ed, thanks for the kind words about the website. The site isn’t new, having first seen the light of day in 2007. I take your point, one could refer a newbie to a book. On the other hand one could put everything a beginner needs to know in one place and this is what I’ve attempted to do. If you read the site you’ll see that I encourage beginners to read extensively, to ask questions, to discuss aspects of brewing with other brewers online and to learn from those with more experience. It’s not an attempt to reinvent the wheel, rather it’s a one stop shop for beginners to have a go before they spread their wings and outgrow the site as their knowledge and experience increases. You’ll see I include Jim’s Beer Kit in my list of online resources as I agree with you that this is a good place to ask questions.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed May 26, 2021 7:23 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:04 pm

Guy
I don't think there is anything wrong with someone else taking the trouble to create....
BUT imo it should have been a pdf/guide and shared here for soooo many reasons.

Forums need people.. The more the merrier is actually dilution.

Experimentation and Collective learning needs people.. The more the merrier is actually dilution.

I have seen forums die and disappear forever because they don't get visitors.

A website is a waste of money unless there is another motive.

A document / pdf could be printed off and used on the bench on brewday.

Many of us have experience to share and that is admirable and should be encouraged, become an author and help the forum by giving back.

Share, don't build another chip shop 😁

Col Robinson
Tippler

Post by Col Robinson » Wed May 26, 2021 8:00 am

I'm told that some people have the site open 'on the bench on brewday' which I guess is the modern equivalent of printing out a pdf.

I get emails from as far afield as Japan, New Zealand, Canada... people who have never heard of this forum until they read about it on my site. So visitors to this forum might well increase a little rather than decrease as a result of my site. Not that this forum needs my help of course, it seems to be thriving and very healthy.

There are hundreds of thousands of articles, blogs, forums and websites out there advising folk on how to brew beer. To be honest I don't think the accusation of one more website causing 'dilution' can have any credibility particularly as that site has been around for 14 years.

The World can't have enough chip shops IMHO. Especially those that do curry sauce. :)