flame out hopping

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
rocket ronnie
Sober

flame out hopping

Post by rocket ronnie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:32 pm

I have been used to dry hopping for some time but have heard about flame out hopping. I understand from what I have read that the hops should go in at 80c.
The question I have is---- 'how long do they stay in the boiler?.--- Is it a matter of say 1 hour or more.
Should they stay in the boiler while the cooling takes place?
And can they be transferred to the FV to continue a dry hop process.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: flame out hopping

Post by Rookie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:11 pm

It depends on what you want from the hops. If you want some IBUs you need to go hotter. If you want flavor and aroma 30 minutes before cooling would work.
I'm just here for the beer.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:25 pm

And some people say dropping the wort to 70°C before adding the hops gives a better result.

Guy

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Someone did a trial of temperature/time for flameout additions, I think it was brulosophy?
Their take was that the best way to max your flavour and aroma was at around 80c for 10 mins. I've just tried to find it again but can't ☹️.
Not sure what people think of their work though

Cheers Tom

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Brulosophy? Usually an interesting read, but frequently they’re unable to show any meaningful differences in their “tests”.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Raiderman666
Sober

Post by Raiderman666 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:03 pm

I like adding hops after the boil. It’s less messy than dry hopping although the results aren’t the same. The point is that adding high AA hops during the last 15m of the boil does add flavour and aroma, but it adds bitterness and with high AA hops that is a limiting factor. I get most of my bitterness with late additions and then Chuck a load more in after the boil Cooling to 80c takes bitterness out of the equation and only increases aroma, so it makes sense. If you are using 2 bags of hops it’s a good way of using them all up.
I’m trying Moutere just now and added 70g after the boil. I am happy to let them stand for 3 or 4 hours whilst the wort cools naturally. Instinct says the cooler it gets the less effective the process so I stop around 45c
I am debating adding the last of the bag to the ferementer, so you can do both😀. If anyone’s tried that I’d appreciate a steer

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:04 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:28 pm
Brulosophy? Usually an interesting read, but frequently they’re unable to show any meaningful differences in their “tests”.
I have noticed that but they can possibly point out a direction for others to do their own trials if they're looking for ideas

Cheers Tom

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 am

I do 80c for 30m on cascade. Very nice.
I have by accident left them in overnight (by accident) they will leave a veggy/green flavour in the finished beer.

rocket ronnie
Sober

Post by rocket ronnie » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:12 pm

[quote=guypettigrew post_id=858252 time=1624976730 user_id=5521]
And some people say dropping the wort to 70°C before adding the hops gives a better result.

Guy
[/quote]

Thanks Guy
but how long to keep them in for Guy

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:09 pm

I give them about 30 minutes.

Guy

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:21 pm

rocket ronnie wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:12 pm
guypettigrew wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:25 pm

Guy
Thanks Guy
but how long to keep them in for Guy
A stand of 30 minutes at the end of the boil has long been a standard in British brewing. Whether to then add hops, how much and when is always a matter of choice by the brewer or brewery.

Adding quantities of hops to the FV by homebrewers relatively recently superseded this practice and also by some commercial operations. Previously British Brewers would normally dry hop with additions to cellar conditioned casks, served when determined ready by the publican or cellar manager.

Hop aromas quickly dissipate regardless of the chosen extraction process, so consuming a brew at its often brief peak of condition might, and sometimes does, justify the best of procedures to extract hop aromas.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

rocket ronnie
Sober

Post by rocket ronnie » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Thanks Guy and also Eric

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:09 pm

So many factors involved, in reality. Using a 'HopRocket' totally threw my 'house' recipes. Suck it and see. Why give a shit what others think? Seriously, they'll just confuse matters.