Just how bad is fermenting at 32 degrees?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
McMullan

Re: Just how bad is fermenting at 32 degrees?

Post by McMullan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:04 pm

IPA wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:07 pm
McMullan wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 am
I wonder how crafty Norwegians managed to maintain fermentations at 40*C, historically. No doubt there’s a very colourful explanation or two.
I've often wondered about that. Perhaps saunas were invented to ferment beer :D :D
It’s possible, but I thought the sauna was a Finnish invention engineered to keep people warm during long Arctic winters on the periphery of civilisation.

hebbstar
Steady Drinker
Location: ChesVegas (Chesterfield - Town of the Crooked Spire)

Post by hebbstar » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:20 am

soupdragon wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:36 pm
Kveik eh?

Could be the answer but if it's temperature range is upwards of 30c, how would it perform at around 25c ambient?
Any special treatment required?

Cheers Tom
I think it would perfrom O.K. The only additional treatment was to add some yeast nutrient in to the boil. I've got heat tape around the fermentor that helped keep it at the relatively high temperature.

Cheers

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Maybe something to consider in future but as temps are falling I should get away with us-05 for next week's brewday 🤞

Cheers Tom

mrjonnyp
Steady Drinker

Post by mrjonnyp » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:00 pm

mrjonnyp wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:45 pm
Made my first beer in eons yesterday, spent all day yesterday doing it and iv just got in from work today and the thermometer strip is saying 32 Image.

Will it at least be drinkable or is it facing certain doom

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
So it's been in a king keg for around 3 or 4 weeks now and I can confirm it tastes rank!

I brewed the exact same recipe the week after when the weather cooled, it was fermenting at 26 degrees which is still slightly high but it tastes soooo much better