Why do you brew?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Why do you brew?

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 am

Why do you brew?

Is it because enjoy the taste?
Or more because you enjoy brewing?
Maybe, 'cos because you won't spend a fortune on commercial piss?

Me.. I am the latter. I can brew cheaper and tastier beer than the expensive commercial boys.

The choice is yours Drinker, Brewer or miser?

vacant

Re: Why do you brew?

Post by vacant » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:06 am

I'll choose 1, 2 and 3 but add 4: I like tinkering, bodging, experimenting with equipment.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:16 am

Bugger forgot 4. Me too. I must have the most modified BM going.

nickjdavis
Steady Drinker

Post by nickjdavis » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:19 am

Because it gives me the opportunity to try a variety of beer styles that are often not widely available commercially.

micmacmoc
Steady Drinker

Post by micmacmoc » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:04 pm

I love the process, the aromas, the whole thing. Except cleaning, that’s rubbish. New GrainFather is a help though but. Love tweaking a recipe, GrainFather s buggered that up as the self same recipe tastes different to my old rig!
Also love people to take an interest, ‘you can’t make beer as good as the breweries’ well, tell me why not! ‘Because I don’t understand it so I doubt you can’ ……proving that wrong! (Not all the time!)

Enjoy brewing, defo!

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:16 pm

It's a hobby. I enjoy the distraction it provides, learning things and slowly improving. I like the idea that it saves me money as a secondary factor, although I doubt it has really all things considered!

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:40 pm

I enjoy cooking.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:41 pm

I get to drink beers like they used to make in my younger days - hard to find a good straight bitter in pubs nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:57 pm

I’ve always loved my beer, especially once I realised the variance in quality and where I would more likely get a much better pint, even if it was ostensibly the same beer as elsewhere.
It was an also an extension of cooking, a bit of tinkering and being about to drink the beer I wanted to, although there is an explosion in choice now (the quality is still pretty variable though, even with a lot of it being keg stuff)
I do try and limit the shiny stuff to things that make life easier in terms of cleaning, better reproducible results or that help to make better beer…although the magpie in me sometimes overrides the sensible streak.
Now i’m living in Germany it’s also the best way to get decent British beer, especially since travel in the last 18 months has been almost non existent! I am looking forward to sitting down in a good British pub again though and working my way through a few decent points of cask.
Swapping with others, locally or otherwise, was also a good push to continue as I have had some really outstanding beers from other brewers. It’s also a great way to try a couple of brew day and the results before splashing the cash.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Doreblade wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:41 pm
I get to drink beers like they used to make in my younger days - hard to find a good straight bitter in pubs nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yes, totally agree with that!

Brewing has also allowed me to make mild, which I can't remember ever seeing in a pub!