Aerator paddle?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Aerator paddle?

Post by MashBag » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:09 am

I have been thinking about making a stainless aeration whisk to fit on a drill.

Then I found this....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Preston-Stai ... 635-2958-0

Thoughts?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Aerator paddle?

Post by f00b4r » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 am

A good find, although if you believe the BAC videos on their oxygenation device, you are probably limited to the amount of dissolved O2 that you can achieve without any Venturi effect.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:35 am

f00b4r wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 am
A good find, although if you believe the BAC videos on their oxygenation device, you are probably limited to the amount of dissolved O2 that you can achieve without any Venturi effect.
I do like the bac aeration spinner. Clever thinking to make it hollow, but wow they know how to charge!

Also want this for mixing sugar block.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:14 pm

f00b4r wrote:
I'd never heard of these "BAC Oxygenator turboventuri", so had to start with a bit of revision.

The amount of dissolved O2 that can be achieved is down to the oxygenation media being used. In both cases it is air, which has about 21% oxygen, and it is that that will set the limiting factor. But the speed that the "Turboventuri" can achieve this maximum is very impressive! Almost as fast as a pure oxygen cylinder and "stone". But pure oxygen can be used to get much higher DO levels if you are into that sort of thing (I can't understand BACs arguments against oxygen cylinders: They runout? I'm not expecting that in my lifetime!). The limiting factor for DO is the laws of "partial pressure" - I think?!

But the "BAC Oxygenator turboventuri" has an Achilles Heel ... they are flippin' expensive! Far more expensive than a pure oxygen setup.

But whichever oxygenator one uses; do we need it? Using agitated yeast starters or dry yeast and avoiding "under-pitching", why do we bother? I still oxygenate my big fermenter (70L) with pure oxygen (lifetime supply as mentioned, so no reason to stop). But I don't bother oxygenating my small fermenter (30L* Grainfather).

[EDIT: * 30L? I shouldn't exaggerate! A GF Conical holds 25L, perhaps 27L at a push. Any more and there may not be room for the build up of yeast and I'll need to arrange a "blow-off" tube, which is more farting about that I can do without (I need the time for all the other farting about I get up to).]
Last edited by PeeBee on Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:18 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:35 am
... Also want this for mixing sugar block.
Now there's a thing.

Dissolving sugar block in the boiler? Some will say you shouldn't aerate hot wort, but I think this is over-cautious twaddle? Stirring in late additions of sugar sounds a fine "second" use of them whisks. I use syrups, but they still need stirring in or they might end up burning on the element.

But "sugar block"? I think "blocks" can best be avoided anyway? You might say "Ragus Invert Sugar Blocks", or "Belgium Candi Sugar Blocks"? Mention of them is guaranteed to wind me up!
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:30 pm

To dissolve solid invert, it is placed in a 2 litre jug and boiling wort is run onto it from the kettle and all liquid returned. With the boiler going at full power, it is just about possible to keep the boil going while at the same time clearing out most of the hot break accumulated in the hop filter.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:18 pm

Eric wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:30 pm
To dissolve solid invert, ...
Grr, that's getting close ... but, no, I'm not going to be drawn (... just yet).

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:00 pm

Sorry PeeBee. I make sugar block for my beehives, and the rust on the paint paddle getting is a bit much. Will retire it for cement mixing.

Found them for less that £20 Inc so will reporting back soon.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Use a hand whisk at the moment (which always works) I am guessing this will do better than that. Tried airstone, OK but a PITA

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:48 pm

I did a few years back in the history of time make an o2 attachment for my Bac TurboV.

A bering top and bottom the stainless shaft with a tube encasing the shaft + berings with an inlet for the o2, designed so the TurboV would only suck in o2.

The trouble with all o2 systems is measuring the o2 after the experiments, DO meters might work fine in water but in wort I've not been all that successful. So normally just rely on bubbling o2 through the wort at a set rate / set time period (if necessary ;))

As for air stones, I'm never completely sure if they are ever clean again after the first use?
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:38 pm

PeeBee,

RAGUS INVERT SUGAR BLOCKS.

BELGIUM CANDI SUGAR BLOCKS.

WA

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:45 am

WalesAles wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:38 pm
PeeBee,

WA
For some reason when I wrote that post, your name came to mind as someone who will not be able to resist that "challenge"

Strange that?

:wink:

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:15 am

WalesAles wrote:
PeeBee,

WA
Please tell me what this has to do with anything.

If it's off topic that's understandable, if as it seems solely intended to irritate, perhaps consider why you posted it. I recall we all enjoyed "be nice or be gone"

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:26 am

MashBag wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:15 am
WalesAles wrote:
PeeBee,

WA
Please tell me what this has to do with anything.

If it's off topic that's understandable, if as it seems solely intended to irritate, perhaps consider why you posted it. I recall we all enjoyed "be nice or be gone"
It's a joke ! Reread PeeBee's posts above.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:18 am

MashBag wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:15 am
... Please tell me what this has to do with anything. ...
Remember this post? It was directed at you:
PeeBee wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:18 pm
... But "sugar block"? I think "blocks" can best be avoided anyway? You might say "Ragus Invert Sugar Blocks", or "Belgium Candi Sugar Blocks"? Mention of them is guaranteed to wind me up!
But with hindsight, it was "a red rag to a ..." WalesAles!

I'd been mucking about with Invert Syrups recently which caused me to learn a number of "uncomfortable facts" about Ragus Invert Sugar and Candi <sic> Sugar, but you've explained you were talking about sugar blocks for your bees.

Those "paddles" look great for stirring in sugars at the boil, as well as aerating the wort prior to fermentation. I don't need an aerator, but not using one does throw up problems sampling wort for OG checks (the wort isn't very homogenous when first transferred to fermenter). Should fix that issue.

So I've been checking out those paddles, and even learning how to make "boilies" for carp fishing (the original purpose of them paddles)! They'll come in handy to lure the goldfish out when they've got in my beer again :---)