Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:34 am

Very interesting link. Flow meters have been around in welding and medical for years.

It did make me think.....one of these, a pump and some math you could get real close, at entry level money, with no metering.

Tbh I quite like the simplicity of bac brewing aeration drill attachment. Again you don't need metering.

I have a stainless boily mixer (for beekeeping) and that really can produce a full on meringue, but this, my aquarium aerator and my ballon whisk all produce pretty much the same house beer.

Proving to me, there is no one way.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Post by f00b4r » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:16 pm

MashBag wrote:I have a stainless boily mixer (for beekeeping) and that really can produce a full on meringue, but this, my aquarium aerator and my ballon whisk all produce pretty much the same house beer.

Proving to me, there is no one way.
Those three items though are all likely hitting the same limit in terms of putting oxygen into wort, so would expect to produce similar beer. The BAC oxygenator has a higher limit and an oxygen tank even higher; the latter going potentially way too far and having a negative effect (although without a DO meter empirical experience and a flow meter would hopefully get you in the right area anyway).

Lederhosn, do you use your DO meter every time or has experience taught you that you can mostly rely on setting the flow meter (much like experience of a water supply and certain grists can remove the need to check mash pH each time)?

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Same limits

I agree and its probably quite a wide margin too.
BAC OXYGENATOR
Have you found it to be a step up?

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:17 pm

TBH i have not had a lot of use of it so far, as my brewery was out of action most of last year. It definitely seems to be effective in churning the wort though and the BAC video shows measurements using a DO meter that are beyond what is normally possible without using O2 .
Most, if not all, brewers I know that use it or pure oxygen seem to believe they have better fermentations since, although they have also tightened other processes too. If you are not pitching the best yeast you can (health/vitality/pitch rate) then adding more oxygen levels may not be where the effort should be concentrated as you are stating from a bad place anyway. Following McMullan’s advice I now build up from very small starters with no steps bigger than 5x and my fermentations are much better (the couple of times since that point when I have gone with a looser process, I have seen the difference visually and in the numbers).

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:58 pm

Do we need to differentiate between lager and ale here? Are these techniques more noticable/helpful for lager, due to the lower temps?

Lederhosn
Tippler

Post by Lederhosn » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:20 am

I found that it is very easy to overshoot with pure O2. So I measure every time. It's not a biggie and gives peace of mind.

I do this for lagers and ales.

From my literature, pure O2 seems less in use in large operations. These tend to work with filtered air, venturi tubes and diffusers inside tanks instead. It's safer in more than one way.

I would probably look into not using pure O2 some day.

Lederhosn
Tippler

Post by Lederhosn » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:34 am

Hmmm. Not sure I get along with this interface on mobiles.... Shame i cannot delete something mistakenly posted... Like quoting myself ;)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:57 am

It's the restrictions of the board, not the mobile interface. Annoys me.

You could edit it to another comment / even cut something from your previous..... Or report it to admin to be deleted.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:30 am

The interface will change slightly soon with an upgrade, although not significantly. There is deliberate time limit on editing of posts (but it is a few days), this is to stop people vandalising potentially hundreds of threads if they have a strop (often the result of a few too many beers and regretted the next day - but not easily rectified after the fact). ;) If you need something older editing then feel free to request a moderator/admin to do it. If you are unable to delete something then just edit it to only show a request for deletion and a mod/admin will do it when they see it.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:41 am

Thanks. I agree about locking posts after 48 hours.