Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Post by Monkhouse » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi what do you guys use to aerate the wort prior to pitching the yeast? Do you just make sure to splash the wort around allot or do you use pure oxygen from a tank and a diffusion type stone? If the latter then does anyone know where to get a supply of cheap(ish) oxygen in a tank form?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Post by Jocky » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:34 pm

I use oxygen mostly. Here’s all the details of my setup: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76794&p=799968
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Ok I’m never gonna afford all that lol! Ummm anyone here NOT using pure oxygen who still get good results??

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:34 pm

Monkhouse wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 pm
Ok I’m never gonna afford all that lol! Ummm anyone here NOT using pure oxygen who still get good results??
Yeah Me.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:23 am

Normski wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:34 pm
Monkhouse wrote:
Yeah Me.
Or me. I just pump the wort in at the top of the FV. That creates loads of foam.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:42 am

I attach a plastic mash paddle to my cordless drill and whizz the wort until I've got about as much foam as I can create without the FV overflowing.

I've considered using pure O2, but not seen anything yet to convince me that it is going to make that much difference to my beers...
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:03 am

Before I used oxygen I got good results - like Cobnut I attached a mash paddle to my drill and splashed like crazy.

Another option is aerating inline with a Venturi tube (look up Venturi on here and you’ll find plenty of examples), or a splash plate.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:56 am

Monkhouse wrote:
Yup me. Whisking seems to be fine.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:23 pm

Jocky wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:03 am
Before I used oxygen I got good results
Can you say that you have noticed a difference since starting to use pure O2?
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:25 pm

Monkhouse wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:27 pm
Hi what do you guys use to aerate the wort prior to pitching the yeast? Do you just make sure to splash the wort around allot or do you use pure oxygen from a tank and a diffusion type stone? If the latter then does anyone know where to get a supply of cheap(ish) oxygen in a tank form?
It depends what yeast you're using. Yeast don't need oxygen to carry out fermentation, but they do need oxygen to make the unsaturated fatty acids (UFAs) and sterols they require to build cell membranes during cell multiplication. Dry yeast are grown in a way that they are stuffed full of sterols, almost enough to do all the 3-4 divisions they undergo in a typical brew. So to a first approximation, dry yeast don't need any special aeration.

It's different with "fresh" or liquid yeast. The amount of oxygen they need depends on how much yeast you're pitching (and hence on gravity) but also on the strain. The typical homebrew yeast will be happy enough with the 8ppm or so oxygen that you can get from saturating with air pumped through a stone, and will tolerate as a bare minimum, the 4-5ppm that you get from shaking. But some strains, typically Beer2 types like saisons and "Yorkshire" types, demand a lot more oxygen, either through pumped oxygen or the fishtails you see on Yorkshire squares. Although Norwegian beers are traditionally just shaken, they are fermented open so the yeast can pick up oxygen during fermentation, I'd imagine in closed fermentations the rapid fermentation of kveik would also need generous amounts of oxygen.

So unless you're using those kinds of yeasts, you should be fine with diffusing air into your wort and can get away with just shaking (although no ideal), and with dry yeast you don't need to worry about it.

You can reduce the amount of oxygen needed, particularly for big beers, by giving the yeast ready-made UFAs in the form of tiny amounts of olive oil - just a drop, or the tip of a cocktail stick dipped in oil, in the starter. This master's thesis in conjunction with New Belgium found that it slowed fermentation a little, gave a bit more esters and fewer fusels, and reduced oxidation of the beer :

https://web.archive.org/web/20131112074 ... df#page=26

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:25 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:23 pm
Jocky wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:03 am
Before I used oxygen I got good results
Can you say that you have noticed a difference since starting to use pure O2?
I’ve not tested it side by side if I’m honest, but my brewing has markedly improved in general.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:41 pm

I don't doubt that Jocky. No doubt there have been a number of other changes too.

I am not doubting that oxygen has benefits for yeast growth, but I'm trying to determine whether the use of pure oxygen to oxygenate wort has a definite and noticeable (measurable, even!) impact on beer quality.

A quick search on the topic reveals the usual collection of Brulosophy "reports" which - as seems to be a common factor in these - draw no clear conclusions!

Maybe the hive mind that is JBK can help answer this?

:D

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:01 pm

I mainly still use it because I have it, and it’s easy and not at all messy for me to use.

There’s many other things I’d look at first in trying to improve your beer before going to a pure oxygen setup.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:42 pm

Amen to that!

Doesn't answer the question as to whether it really makes a difference though ;)

I strongly suspect that there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat! And it depends on the breed of cat you wish to skin (euphemism for beer variety being brewed).

Those Brulosophy "studies" always use some seemingly randomly chosen beer.

What is needed is a proper academic study of the issue.

Someone must know of one...

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:44 pm

So I’ve got a brand new drill I can dedicate purely to brewing however I cannot find a stainless steel paint mixer paddle that will fit in the narrow 75mm top of my plastic fermentasaurus fermenter.
I’ve seen galvanised ones that are the right size but I’ve heard that galvanised steel isn’t food safe and there’s a couple of threads that I’ve read with peaopke stating they would never use galvanised steel in any part of their brewery that makes contact with the wort.
Can anyone clear this up?