Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Normski
Under the Table

Re: Small tank of oxygen for aeration?

Post by Normski » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:47 pm

MashBag wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:59 pm
You got it right first time..
Monkhouse wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:02 pm
.... bollocks to that!
=D>
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:35 am

Jocky wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Monkhouse wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:46 pm
Interesting, well perhaps it’s something worth considering after all. Thanks allot 👍🏼
You will need a regulator (£36 https://www.welduk.com/product/regulato ... -cylinder/), an aeration stone (£8 for a basic stone, £17 for a wand) and some tubing at a minimum. Realistically you also want a flow meter (£10.26 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265130660620), or you will run through your oxygen very quickly and need to spent another £25 before long.
You don't need to pay that much for a regulator. You don't need a gauge on it. I know this one doesn't say it is for O2 but it is simliar to the one I have https://weldingsuperstore.co.uk/oxyturb ... 25000.html

You forgot to mention that he will also need a JG fitting to attach the tubomg to the regulator.
Richard M
Cardiff

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:09 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:35 am
Jocky wrote:
Monkhouse wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:46 pm
Interesting, well perhaps it’s something worth considering after all. Thanks allot 👍🏼
You will need a regulator (£36 https://www.welduk.com/product/regulato ... -cylinder/), an aeration stone (£8 for a basic stone, £17 for a wand) and some tubing at a minimum. Realistically you also want a flow meter (£10.26 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265130660620), or you will run through your oxygen very quickly and need to spent another £25 before long.
You don't need to pay that much for a regulator. You don't need a gauge on it. I know this one doesn't say it is for O2 but it is simliar to the one I have https://weldingsuperstore.co.uk/oxyturb ... 25000.html

You forgot to mention that he will also need a JG fitting to attach the tubomg to the regulator.
I started with the regulator without the gauge - and the problem with it was that the output barb on it doesn't fit any tubing I have, and there wasn't a good JG fitting to replace it with. I started off by cutting down a MFL fitting, but even that leaked after a while. Plus I had no idea when I was about to run out of Oxygen.

So next time I bought some oxygen cannisters I got the better regulator too.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:50 pm

Jocky wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:09 pm
richard080561 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:35 am
Jocky wrote:

I started with the regulator without the gauge - and the problem with it was that the output barb on it doesn't fit any tubing I have, and there wasn't a good JG fitting to replace it with. I started off by cutting down a MFL fitting, but even that leaked after a while. Plus I had no idea when I was about to run out of Oxygen.

So next time I bought some oxygen cannisters I got the better regulator too.
I had to cut down my JG fitting and use some silicon sealant and I have no idea when my O2 will run out..it's been going three years now, brewing roughly once a month.
Richard M
Cardiff

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:36 pm

Thanks so much guys really appreciate the advice

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:17 pm

Big question is... How much did you spend then, in the end?

man_beach
Steady Drinker

Post by man_beach » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:03 pm

I use a simple aquarium air pump with an aquarium air stone. I sterilise the stone after use by bubbling air through it in some sterilising solution.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:33 am

A plastic spoon on the end of your drill should fit in and splash well enough if your not going to use O2.

Lederhosn
Tippler

Post by Lederhosn » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:49 pm

Aeration is very important, esp when fermenting cold (usually 9C). For this 18-25 x 10^6 yeast cells /ml wort at 12Plato are required, and a residual dissolved oxygen content of 7-9 mg/l.

I use welding O2 (it lasts me for years) and an attached flow meter like you would see in an ambulance car (they pop up on ebay from time to time).

In conjunction with good enough stainless Heat Exchanger (from Lupi https://www.lupi-waermetauscher.de/) which brings the wort from 100C to 18C in a few minutes, A maxi310 which I got from a closing pub for about £90 takes it to the pitch temperature at 5-6C. At the end of the hose to the fermenter is a rather cheap venturi tube (used for fertilizers. see ebay) which mixes the oxygen during transfer.

I highly recommend the use of a dissolved oxygen meter (e.g. Extech DO600) when working with pure oxygen. Values in excess of 30mg/l can lead to unwated results.

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:51 pm

aamcle wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:33 am
A plastic spoon on the end of your drill should fit in and splash well enough if your not going to use O2.
This is EXACTLY what I went with in the end! It works flawlessly and the maple stout I’ve just bottled came out at 7.8% abv using this crude but effective method!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:46 am

Lederhosn wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:49 pm
Aeration is very important, esp when fermenting cold (usually 9C). For this 18-25 x 10^6 yeast cells /ml wort at 12Plato are required, and a residual dissolved oxygen content of 7-9 mg/l.

I use welding O2 (it lasts me for years) and an attached flow meter like you would see in an ambulance car (they pop up on ebay from time to time).

In conjunction with good enough stainless Heat Exchanger (from Lupi https://www.lupi-waermetauscher.de/) which brings the wort from 100C to 18C in a few minutes, A maxi310 which I got from a closing pub for about £90 takes it to the pitch temperature at 5-6C. At the end of the hose to the fermenter is a rather cheap venturi tube (used for fertilizers. see ebay) which mixes the oxygen during transfer.

I highly recommend the use of a dissolved oxygen meter (e.g. Extech DO600) when working with pure oxygen. Values in excess of 30mg/l can lead to unwated results.
I have read this sort of thing in various places, but I have not seen anyone post anything which says definitively that their beers have improved through the use of oxygenation with pure O2. Nor have I seen any published papers that provide this definitive evidence.

If you are able to fill this void, I'd be really interested!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:33 pm

I have used a crude balloon whisk by hand and an stainless aerator on a drill and on the same recipe can vouch for the fact there appears to be no difference.
Last edited by MashBag on Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lederhosn
Tippler

Post by Lederhosn » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:34 am

Cobnut wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:46 am

I have read this sort of thing in various places, but I have not seen anyone post anything which says definitively that their beers have improved through the use of oxygenation with pure O2. Nor have I seen any published papers that provide this definitive evidence.

If you are able to fill this void, I'd be really interested!
Not sure I expressed it well enough.... One can use sterile or filtered air as well. Pure O2 has the downside that it is easy to overshoot, which can become problematic for the yeast. Thus equipment to measure O2 levels is a good idea.

Aerating to optimum levels helps a lot. Esp when fermenting cold.

It's not about the kind of O2, but getting it to optimum levels which has qualitatively a big impact. With unfiltered air, ones ability to repitch yeast from previous batches without contamination reduces though.

The yeast in the brewery is a very good read if you want to dive deeper into the subject.

Hope this helps.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:27 am

Hmm. I often struggle with this and other commercial practises for a couple of reasons.

1. Recipes do not scale linearly and neither do prcoeeses ime.
2. Cost justification
3. Relevance. Commercial objectives are often very different to personal ones.

I am not saying there isn't some learning here, but I start from an analytical perspective because these are ideas are for a different product ($)

Please don't take this as a negative, just explaining my perspective for the larger subject entitled "the big boys do it so that must be the right way".

Lederhosn
Tippler

Post by Lederhosn » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:41 am

No problem, i can see where you are coming from.

Indeed, scales aren't the same. There are instances where one has it substantially easier when brewing at smaller scale, there are others when it's a bit if a disadvantage. It doesn't map 1:1 indeed.

Reaching correct oxygenation levels is rather important in both scenarios, unless one doesn't mind the consequences such as higher content if fusel alcohols when over-oxygenating for eg.

It depends how far one wants to push the qualitative side of ones brews.

Someone here suggested this item instead of using DO meters.