Cooked Chestnuts

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Cit
Sober

Cooked Chestnuts

Post by Cit » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi, has anyone used Mechant Gourmet cooked chestnuts in brewing? I've used whole chestnuts and shelled and roasted them in the past but it's a bit fiddley. I'm looking for a simple way to get chestnut flavouring into a beer, and potentially starch/sugar. I'm not trying to brew a gluten free beer. If anyone has experience, what preparation is necessary and should I use them in the mash or boil.
Thanks

f00b4r
Site Admin

Cooked Chestnuts

Post by f00b4r » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:46 pm

Cit wrote:Hi, has anyone used Mechant Gourmet cooked chestnuts in brewing? I've used whole chestnuts and shelled and roasted them in the past but it's a bit fiddley. I'm looking for a simple way to get chestnut flavouring into a beer, and potentially starch/sugar. I'm not trying to brew a gluten free beer. If anyone has experience, what preparation is necessary and should I use them in the mash or boil.
Thanks
Yes, I’ve used them successfully in a chestnut brown ale. They gave a really nice light caramel background note, very very similar to invert no. 1. I used 15 in a 21L batch for the entire 60 minute boil.

Edit: I just threw them straight in from the packet, they are vacuum sealed and likely cooked sous vide beforehand. Anyway they went going in the boil so I had no worries about contamination.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Cooked Chestnuts

Post by Jim » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Cit. :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Cit
Sober

Re: Cooked Chestnuts

Post by Cit » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:13 pm