High mash temp on kamikaze knitting club?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:56 pm

Hi I’m about to do a beer recipe from the malt miller- it’s the kamikaze knitting club stout- taken from diyDOG and the mash temp states 68.9c. Does this seem a bit too high?
The guide I’ll be following is the sticky one on this forum which states a mash anywhere between 64-68 will work out well. Should I be changing the mash temp down to 68 dead?
What is the highest mash anyone on here has done?

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: High mash temp on kamikaze knitting club?

Post by MashBag » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:49 pm

Bugger me yes.

According to brewdog 64c

You can download all their recipes here.

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/community/diy-dog

Page 328. Recipe 307 is where you want to be.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:03 pm

68.9°C seems a bit over precise!! But I see the recipe calls for a very short mash time of 45 minutes. Perhaps there's a connection between high mash temperature and short mash? No idea!

Guy

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:15 am

Wrong topic :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:03 am

I do a similar recipe and with that yeast it goes from 1.060 to 1.014 with a mash at 67c.

Anywhere in the range of 64-68c will be fine, but even either side of it will be ok. Just measure whatever temperature you do end up, note it down, and then next time you come to make this beer you can adjust the temperature to make it a bit chewier with a high temperature, or a bit drier with a lower temperature.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:00 pm

I will probably stick with 68 on the nose then. I’ve another question regarding this kit. Looking at the screenshot (if it’s loaded)
So I get that the magnum is added at the start of the boil but can you shed a light on why it says add 13g sorachi at 10 min left of the boil and then whirlpool 32g sorachi at 15 min left of the boil?
I’m confused 😐
Also do I need to whirlpool constantly for 15 minutes? I don’t have any special equipment to do whirlpooling I will be using my mash paddle to create a whirlpool but can’t imagine keeping that up for 15 minutes! 😂
Advice welcome thanks!
Attachments
25904176-6C41-4B5E-BA5D-D27735E38BDC.jpeg
25904176-6C41-4B5E-BA5D-D27735E38BDC.jpeg (191.31 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 pm

I think that means whirlpool the hops for 15 minutes after you've turned the heat off.

Guy

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm

Hmm ok I suppose that makes sense, I’ve had an email saying whirlpooling should be done at around 85c so should I leave the lid off the boiler after flame out to reach 85c then add remaining sorachi, give it a stir and then put lid back on for 15 minutes before I send it all through the plate chiller and to the fermenter?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:47 pm

For whirlpool I would suggest re-circulating through the CFC until you get to around 80C. Then add the whirlpool addition and leave for the prescribed time before chilling and transferring.

Let us know how you get on with the beer.
Fermenting: Sunshine Marmalade
Conditioning: Festbier, Helles Bock
Drinking: Smoky, lager beer, Irish Export Stout, Hazelweiss 2023:2, Cascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, and more!

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:57 pm

I think once I get more confident with brewing I will definitely try using the CFC to create a whirlpool but this will only be my second brew and also my first time brewing alone so would I still achieve more or less the same result letting it chill naturally to 80 then whirlpooling using a spoon adding the hops and leaving for 15 min?
I’m just trying not to overload myself this time as I’m anxious enough about the brew day as it is and it’s potential to go horribly wrong 😑

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:52 pm

Whirlpooling is all about building up a cone of trub, including the broken down hop pellets, so the wort can be easily filtered out of the boiler to give clear wort going into the fermenter.

Will you be filtering the finished wort before it goes into your fermenter?

Guy

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:09 pm

guypettigrew wrote:Whirlpooling is all about building up a cone of trub, including the broken down hop pellets, so the wort can be easily filtered out of the boiler to give clear wort going into the fermenter.

Will you be filtering the finished wort before it goes into your fermenter?

Guy
It also seems to randomly (or not) get used instead of “hop steep”.
I would try and chill to 78-80 for the ‘whirlpool’ hops (and just steep them - you can always stir them a few times) BUT if you are trying to just get through the brew day to understand the process better then you can always skip it this time and add the last hops at flameout instead (depending on your batch size naturally cooling could take a long time and change the bitterness a lot more), then chill after the steep.

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:37 pm

Yeah I’m just trying to get through the day without a multitude of [censored] ups!
I haven’t got a wort filter no, didn’t have one the first time and didn’t have any issues I just was careful draining the last of the wort from the boiler

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:36 am

Monkhouse wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:37 pm

I haven’t got a wort filter no, didn’t have one the first time and didn’t have any issues I just was careful draining the last of the wort from the boiler
Spot on. You will find a little trub makes no difference to fermentation, in fact it just might be beneficial to the yeast.

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:58 am

Well the brewday went really well! It stated off crappy when my camlock decided to fail on me whilst pumping 76c liquor from the HLT to the MT pissing scalding water over my slippered feet!
Anyway after that I basically took a wild guess at how much I had lost and topped up the HLT (no volume markings) put cable ties on all cam locks the entire day from this lovely experience.

The rest of the day I thoroughly enjoyed and even hit the OG of 1.070 and around 27l so really happy. Here’s hoping my thorough thrashing of a brand new dedicated bosch drill with plastic mash paddle will be enough to bring the tracing down to the states 1,020 to get 7%abv.
Well we will see, but I honestly haven’t enjoyed myself that much for years. I’m totally hooked.