Brewbrite

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
soupdragon
Under the Table

Brewbrite

Post by soupdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:29 am

Hi all

I'm curious about this stuff and fancy giving it a go, so......
Is the Malt Miller the only place that sells it in "home brew" amounts?

Cheers Tom

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Brewbrite

Post by MashBag » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:38 am

A bit of research shows Brewbrite to be a mix of polyclar and pvpp.

Google "polyclar Brewbrite Murphy"
There is a good pdf, tells you what it does.

I will not be trying it. Pvpp in not something I need in my beer.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/kilPPFgsSn/

Is a better detailed read..

From memory it is only permissable in wine because it is filtered out and thus not in the finished product.
Last edited by MashBag on Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:48 am

If you've not tried it, you'll be surprised how good it is.

I'm undecided if it is best on its own or mixed with Protofloc.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:49 am

I get that it's a mix of carrageenan and pvpp but don't fancy mixing it myself. If shop bought works then maybe. Was hoping that other purchasing options might be available

Cheers Tom

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:54 am

The question is do you filter? I don't want any pvpp in anything I drink.

Added a couple of links to my previous post.

Tom, give them a once over before you proceed.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:03 am

Interesting that it also contains the main active ingredient of Irish Moss (aka protafloc). So perhaps unnecessary to use both?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 am

MashBag wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:54 am
The question is do you filter? I don't want any pvpp in anything I drink.

Added a couple of links to my previous post.

Tom, give them a once over before you proceed.
No, I don't filter. Will have a proper read of the linked article presently

Cheers Tom

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:50 am

Reading the data sheet, it says PVPP is insoluble in beer. So it should drop out with polyphenols it helps pull into the sediment.
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am

Indeed. But commercial operations filter to guarantee. Not sure what ppm are permissible in finished products. I for one don't want one single particle.

My friends and family drink my beer, just my choice. Not getty preachy (if that's how you spell it) 😁

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:40 am

Of course, it is your choice.

Data sheet also says it is food safe. Otherwise, HSE & others would not permit it anywhere near beer!

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:29 am

MashBag wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:38 am
A bit of research shows Brewbrite to be a mix of polyclar and pvpp.

Google "polyclar Brewbrite Murphy"
There is a good pdf, tells you what it does.

I will not be trying it. Pvpp in not something I need in my beer.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/kilPPFgsSn/

Is a better detailed read..

From memory it is only permissable in wine because it is filtered out and thus not in the finished product.
First of all, it's a mix of Carageenan and PVPP. Carageenan is an extract from Irish moss, and is what makes up a Protafloc tablet, so there's no need to use both Brewbrite and Protafloc.

Secondly, the dosage rates are very small compared to using PVPP in the fermenter, low enough to not require filtering.

I've found that it works well in the boil, producing a fairly compact sediment, and it also helps pull down haze in the beer in the keg without me needing to use gelatin, although it's action is not as fast as gelatin.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Now that this thread has moved to here I will repeat how I produce remarkably bright beer. And yes although Brewbright contains irish moss (chondrus crispus) , a seaweed, to obtain the clarity that I outline you need to use all three finings. Brewbrite,Protofloc and gelatine. Please note that the gelatine is added to the SECOND FV not to the keg!!

Well for those who are interested this is how I do it.
For the record I brew with a Braumeister fitted with a BacBrewing Springer but the method will work with any all grain brewing equipment and I chill with a plate chiller fitted with a Blichmann Thrumometer

Have your water analysed. Neil (Wallybrew) on this forum provides any excellent service.
Adjust your water using Graham's water treatment calculator also on this forum.
Mash for 90 minutes
Boil for 90 minutes
For a brewlength of 23 litres. 15 minutes before the end of the boil add 1/2 of a crushed Protofloc tablet and 4 grammes of Brewbrite mixed with a little cold water until it looks like thin soup.
The times of fermentation following will obviously depend on the OG
Approximately seven days of fermentation transfer to a second FV and leave for another four days. Then add three sheets of gelatine disolved in hot water. The gelatine must be softened in cold water first and then drained before adding the hot water!
Three days later transfer to a to a third vessel and add the priming sugar. For an English Bitter use two grammes of white sugar per litre disolved in boiling water and stir gently into the beer to ensure even mixing.
Then bottle or keg. At the same time fill a 500ml PET bottle so that you you can check carbonation progress by squeezing it.
The resulting beer will pour crystal clear from the bottle even if you up-end it and will chill with no haze.
I think the addition of Brewbrite in the boiler is one big factor in this process.

Cheers Ian
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:49 pm

PVPP is insoluble enough in beer that it meets the requirements of the German Purity Law (this is without any filtration or centrifuging).
It does work really really well and I have only used it as a fining for a number of years now.
I am intrigued by IPA’s method of combining with gelatine though (or trying the same with isinglass for kegging).
Hmm plastic, fish bladders or cow hooves…… :p

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:27 pm

After due consideration I think I'll have to try this stuff at least once. If the resulting beer turns out well enough I might continue to use it.
Then again if it doesn't affect the flavour then why bother if the only benefit is a (hopefully) clearer beer? Hmmmmmm 🤔

Cheers Tom

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:04 pm

soupdragon wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:27 pm
After due consideration I think I'll have to try this stuff at least once. If the resulting beer turns out well enough I might continue to use it.
Then again if it doesn't affect the flavour then why bother if the only benefit is a (hopefully) clearer beer? Hmmmmmm 🤔

Cheers Tom
If you do try it make sure to mix it with cold water before adding to the boil
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)