Brewbrite

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
soupdragon
Under the Table

Re: Brewbrite

Post by soupdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:31 pm

IPA wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:04 pm
soupdragon wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:27 pm
After due consideration I think I'll have to try this stuff at least once. If the resulting beer turns out well enough I might continue to use it.
Then again if it doesn't affect the flavour then why bother if the only benefit is a (hopefully) clearer beer? Hmmmmmm 🤔

Cheers Tom
If you do try it make sure to mix it with cold water before adding to the boil
Will do. Won't be on my next brew though, will need to pad an order out at the Malt Miller to offset the postage a little.

Cheers Tom

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:11 pm

IPA wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 pm
Now that this thread has moved to here I will repeat how I produce remarkably bright beer. And yes although Brewbright contains irish moss (chondrus crispus) , a seaweed, to obtain the clarity that I outline you need to use all three finings. Brewbrite,Protofloc and gelatine. Please note that the gelatine is added to the SECOND FV not to the keg!!
Ian,

How have you got to this recipe of all three?
Not knocking it. Obviously works, but would like to understand more about your thinking behind it and/or how you got to it please?

I don't have a chill haze or bottles I can't invert (most of the time 😁 ) so really interested in the process.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:02 am

Experimentation and not believing everything that I read
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:42 am

Big supporter of that idea myself. Thanks.
Did you start with Irish moss, added each and saw the improvement?

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:50 am

Ashland, the makers of Brewbrite, say to experiment with it yourself at various rates to figure out what the optimum dosage is. For me I've found that 1.5g per 10 litres works well.

Along with cold conditioning in fermenter or keg it'll get beers pin bright, even dropping out chill haze, but it does take time - for me it's 4 weeks at 5C to get to a beer pin bright.

Gelatin will speed things up to a few days. I just don't normally use it as there's a few vegans at my home brew club.
Last edited by Jocky on Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:00 pm

Thanks Jocky. That is exactly what I was trying to understand, the interaction of each and if there is a progressive action.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:52 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:42 am
Big supporter of that idea myself. Thanks.
Did you start with Irish moss, added each and saw the improvement?
When I first started brewing,following Dave Lines instructions, I used irish moss and gelatine. Then when Protofloc came along I swapped the irish moss for Protofloc. When Brewbrite became available, following the advice on the Maltmiller site, I added it at the same time.
I have always used gelatine in the secondary FV. I reasoned that it would be better to clarify the beer before kegging or bottling than let it settle out in the keg or bottle.
There was a guy, Gray's Alchemy, on one forum whose maxim was "If you want clear beer coming out you have to have clear beer going in" Never a truer word was said !
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:51 pm

I have used it but as mentioned above it is vital to disolve it in cold water - even then, it can be difficult to disperse and there is a risk of ending up with Brewbrite clots that don't then dissolve in the hot wort. My advice us is to start dessolving it in cold water a good 15 to 20 mins before you want to add it to the boil and be around to keep on stiring the cold mix over that time.

Whether it makes much difference to clairity, I'm not sure. If it is sold for commercial breweries, I think it must help - but I generally don't have any beer calrity issues. My recent brews have not used it and all has been good (I just use gelatine in the secondary FV).

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:11 am

I think there is a "clear enough" point. If you are brewing for comps I absolutely get it. For you own glass everyone will have their own view.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:22 am

f00b4r wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:49 pm
It does work really really well and I have only used it as a fining for a number of years now.
Just to be clear (see what I did there 🙄)

Did you mean..
'I have only used it as a fining'
Or..
'I have used it as a the only fining'

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:32 am

brewbrew wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:51 pm
I have used it but as mentioned above it is vital to disolve it in cold water - even then, it can be difficult to disperse and there is a risk of ending up with Brewbrite clots that don't then dissolve in the hot wort. My advice us is to start dessolving it in cold water a good 15 to 20 mins before you want to add it to the boil and be around to keep on stiring the cold mix over that time.
It's like mixing any powder and water, whether it's finings, yeast nutrient, dry malt extract, or even when cooking and making a sauce that combines flour and a liquid. You need to add the liquid very gradually to the dry ingredient and mix well each time.

I put the brewbrite in a mug (along with yeast nutrient if I'm using) and add a few drops of water, mix that in to get a paste. I then gradually add more drops, mixing each time until it's a slurry that I can pour straight into the kettle. If you add too much water in one go then you just end up with lumps bobbing around in the water.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 am

Did the temp & volume make a difference

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:51 pm

MashBag wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:47 am
Did the temp & volume make a difference
Try reading the spec sheet.

Just for a moment assume no solid matter is present in the kettle after the mash, then after a vigorous boil, much of the least soluble matter will clump to be left there and not cloud the FV, to then be potentially transferred on with the green beer. Adding Irish moss to the end of the boil causes smaller particles to gather with oppositely the charged addition that clears the wort an extra degree in minutes that other might take weeks to drop out.

Brewbite goes a degree further by taking out more particles, including those that are soluble at room and cellar temperature, but are not at lower temperature to cause chill haze. It has been normal for chill haze to be present in unfiltered beers or those not lagered at low temperature, but Brewbrite will change that.

Some say beer tastes better when neither filtered or fined. I mostly agree with the former, but for me, good fining removes the stuff that can mask many of the better qualities of beer that might be removed by filtering.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:08 pm

MashBag wrote:
f00b4r wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:49 pm
It does work really really well and I have only used it as a fining for a number of years now.
Just to be clear (see what I did there Image)

Did you mean..
'I have only used it as a fining'
Or..
'I have used it as a the only fining'
Exactly. Image

Still not clear? Image
Yes the only fining, it’s magic stuff.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:15 pm

Eric wrote:Some say beer tastes better when neither filtered or fined. I mostly agree with the former, but for me, good fining removes the stuff that can mask many of the better qualities of beer that might be removed by filtering.
I would agree with Eric on the fining, it isn’t just the fact it looks clearer, which may change perception, but also that some particles muddy the flavour or just add in unpleasant additional ones.
I don’t know many that filter fine particles at the homebrew level (fine enough to strip out flavour).