Foaming conundrum

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Muscleguy1
Sober

Foaming conundrum

Post by Muscleguy1 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:57 pm

I have two beers in barrel, a weisbier and a clone of County. The weissbier foams tight and creamy, all the wheat malt. But it doesn't last forever. The County foams fairly open but it lasts to the last drop which you drink from underneath the head.

The County just contains Simpson's Golden Promise Pale ale malt and heritage crystal, I have used both together without this long head. There are no adjuncts or foaming agents added. The only non normal thing is the Northdown hops bought just for the County. Is this extra foaming longevity something do with the Northdown?

Both brews are delicious. I got the weissbier up to 32/33C for the ferment for the first time. Starts with orange and banana and finishes on spices. The County is just ultra delicious. I thoroughly recommend the heritage crystal. Flavour has been lost from the 20L, 40L etc crystal malts. This is crystal as it used to be. So County as it used to be and live.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Foaming conundrum

Post by MashBag » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:25 am

I have only just noticed this, and that this is your first post here. Come on in a pull up a stool 😁
How rude, can I apologise for not welcoming you sooner.

Sounds like you are having having some success... Been brewing long? By 'County' do you mean 'Ruddles country'?

As for you question about foaming, I for one would like to know the answer too... Foam is a protein based black art, which I don't understand enough to comment.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Re: Foaming conundrum

Post by clarets7 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:35 pm

Muscleguy1 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:57 pm
The County just contains Simpson's Golden Promise Pale ale malt and heritage crystal ... I thoroughly recommend the heritage crystal.
I remember going on a brewery trip around the original Ruddles brewery back in the late 70's, decent beers in those days but I've no idea what the County is like today. Good to hear about the Simpsons heritage crystal, I almost bought some last week but went for the T50 instead.

No idea how to get that lacing consistently though...
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo