Reiterated Mash - Kveik Voss Barley Wine

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Reiterated Mash - Kveik Voss Barley Wine

Post by Jocky » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:39 am

PeeBee wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:00 am
Here is another nudge. This brewing example hasn't been casked/kegged yet because of other commitments so it's still sitting pretty in the fermenter (which is cooled hence the very active temperature fluctuations in this hot weather). But it's an "ordinary" British-style dried yeast (S-33) with half-decent flavour characteristics, and at ordinary fermentation temperatures:

Obviously, I will not be suckered into this senseless "kveik" craze ... and neither should you!
Isn't the main point of kveik that it doesn't need temperature control?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:00 pm

Perhaps it is. But I always do (temperature control), so I was describing as my example is, not suggesting it was necessary (transparency?). Although with the outside temperature at 30+C I was glad of it (my fermenters are in a greenhouse too!).

That "example" beer of mine was casked yesterday and not fit for drinking (due to lack of "transparency" but this time in a different sense!); should be good to go in a fortnight.

And I'm not sure the main point of kveik is that it doesn't need temperature control, isn't the main point (and original point) of kviek to generate lots of alcohol as quick as possible so as to get completely rat-arsed? And to hell with the quality?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:23 pm

The interest in brewing circles I’ve seen for ‘clean’ kveik has been down to not needing temperature control.

There were plenty of ways to make ropey alcohol quickly before kveik.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:14 am

Righto. They are the same. Phew. Thought I was not seeing something imprimatur (the phone did that I typed 'impotent' FFS 'important')

Thanks P

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:09 am

Hey PeeBee. This ended up being a 1.100 O.G beer and it was pretty much done 5 or 6 days. I felt that was pretty damn fast for a big gravity beer; admittedly, I don't have a whole lot of experience here though as I'e just gotten into barley wines and fat stouts. The main reason I went with Kveik was because of the speedy conditioning time I'd read about here and there. I wanted barley wine and I wanted it fast so gave it a shot. 5ish week later and it honestly tastes as if it has been sitting months. Although I'm very much enjoying the beer, I'm not too mad keen on the lemony flavours from Kveik Voss so I probably wouldn't use that strain again for a barley wine. I'd be up for trying other Kveik strains, though.

What I really need to do now is brew another barley wine and ferment with Mangrove Jack M42. That was something else after 3 to 4 months.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:45 am

Jocky wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:23 pm

There were plenty of ways to make ropey alcohol quickly before kveik.
SPOT ON Jocky - I for one am not impressed

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:29 pm

floydmeddler wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:09 am
... What I really need to do now is brew another barley wine and ferment with Mangrove Jack M42. That was something else after 3 to 4 months.
I too have homed in on that M42 yeast. I've got a few packs ahead of brewing a "barley-wine" (a "clone" of Tennant's 1955 Gold Label - it's a nostalgia thing for me ... drinking the Whitbread version that is, not Tennant's; I'm that old!

Watch that Mangrove Jack stuff though. It caught me out when I used it last. The packs are only 10g, not the usual 11.5g, and you will need two (maybe 3?) packs to get a healthy fermentation (you'd need two 11.5g packs of any dried yeast for something as strong as barley-wine anyway). MJ's own literature says use two packs for anything over 1.050, but I have a "traditional" attitude to reading instructions, i.e. I don't until things go wrong!
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:34 am

Yeast pitching is not a linear calculation.

Wine yeast comes in 5g packs. Capable of 25-30 litres at 12-14%

That is not to say correct pitching is not important.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am

MashBag wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:34 am
Yeast pitching is not a linear calculation. ...
Undoubtably not. But some "pitching calculators" fart about suggesting fractions of a pack, which is just not practical for dried yeast (any remaining fractions should be chucked after two days). So, the advice (MJ, 10g packs) of one pack below SG 1.050 and two above that isn't so bad.

Not much of a strain on the calculating front either.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:04 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:29 pm
floydmeddler wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:09 am
... What I really need to do now is brew another barley wine and ferment with Mangrove Jack M42. That was something else after 3 to 4 months.
I too have homed in on that M42 yeast. I've got a few packs ahead of brewing a "barley-wine" (a "clone" of Tennant's 1955 Gold Label - it's a nostalgia thing for me ... drinking the Whitbread version that is, not Tennant's; I'm that old!

Watch that Mangrove Jack stuff though. It caught me out when I used it last. The packs are only 10g, not the usual 11.5g, and you will need two (maybe 3?) packs to get a healthy fermentation (you'd need two 11.5g packs of any dried yeast for something as strong as barley-wine anyway). MJ's own literature says use two packs for anything over 1.050, but I have a "traditional" attitude to reading instructions, i.e. I don't until things go wrong!
It's a beaut of a yeast. I always go for 2 packs. Just been reading up on that Whitbread/Tennant's barley wine. Would be cool if you did a recipe post when you get round to it.