First ever attempt and touch wood seems to have gone okay

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
ebbadger
Sober

First ever attempt and touch wood seems to have gone okay

Post by ebbadger » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:56 am

Never progressed past extract in the past along with a lot of wine making but have now decided to embrace the grain and give it a go, helps having a partner who wants to brew her own ipa lol......
Have invested in a 60 litre kettle from Dark Farm after stumbling across them when looking at grain fathers, so glad I did its superb, Running a 3kw main element then 1.5kw Rims which made last nights first all grain attempt so simple and easy to run, 23 litre batch mashed for 90 mins, boiled 60 minutes and chilled through a 120 plate chiller which seemed to work great and its now all sat in the temp controlled klardtein conical fermenter (running a stainless coil in the wort fed by a pond pump in my waeco travel freezer controlled by an inkbird) keeps things sat at bang on 21 degrees at the moment.
Hopefully I will soon be enjoying my first ever citra hopped American ipa and then who knows :)

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: First ever attempt and touch wood seems to have gone okay

Post by Meatymc » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:42 pm

Sounds like you've got it sorted at the first attempt =D> =D> =D>

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:26 pm

When using a plate chiller it is of the utmost importance to flush it(the wort side) both ways with hot water immediately after use. That is to say as soon as it has been disconnected from the kettle and before you do anything else. Otherwise there will be a deposit built up inside that will prove almost impossible to remove. Before each use fill the wort side with a cleaning agent and leave it overnight and then flush it with hot water both ways.
Good luck with your foray into all grain.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

ebbadger
Sober

Post by ebbadger » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:51 pm

Cheers folks.. Not going to count my chickens but the rims set up made mashing so easy... And thanks for the plate chiller reminder.. I reverse flushed and filled up with sanitiser as I'd read a lot of similar posts... Fingers crossed the 300 micron pre filter caught most but still flushed out some cloudy wort so great advice.. Cheers :)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:37 am

How'd it go? Anything since?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer