Sweet bitter

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Mike123
Tippler

Sweet bitter

Post by Mike123 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:31 pm

In the last year I have sampled a couple of lovely bitters, Butty Bach from the Wye Valley Brewery and also Victoria Bitter from the Earl Soham Brewery. Both had a lovely smooth sweetness to them with just the right amount of hopping. I am just wondering the best way to achieve extra sweetness without the yeast converting it to alcohol. How much can I increase mash temperature before I start to introduce bad flavours? I currently mash at 66 degrees. Are there yeasts that attenuate at a lower percentage? Or do I just add more caramalt? What are your thoughts,

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Re: Sweet bitter

Post by bitter_dave » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:40 pm

Interested to hear people's responses to this. I am with you in terms of trying to get a bit more sweetness into my beer!

In addition to the things you mention, water treatment is also supposed to affect the perception of malty-ness and, presumably, the perceived sweetness of the beer as well as I understand it. Graham's water treatment calculator contains a setting for 'sweet pale ale': https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water.html which differs from 'bitter'. I used the calculator for the first time yesterday (to make a mild) so am a novice in things water treatment-related, but I throw that out there for discussion.

D215Aquitania
Sober

Post by D215Aquitania » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:32 pm

70C or even 72C mash shouldn't be a problem, though I've not gone beyond 72C myself.

As for yeast, there's various lower attenuative yeasts readily available - CML "The Firm", MJ M15 Empire Ale, S-33 or anything "Windsor" spring to mind.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Mashing at higher temperatures quickens alpha enzyme activity while more rapidly denaturing the beta enzyme. This results in a less fermentable wort to produce a beer with more body, which in turn might be sweeter.

Basic Bitters frequently have residual sweetness from crystal malts or less fermentable ingredients of invert sugars. Sweetness can be induced into any beer by a small amount of lactose added to the boil. From a recent experience, an addition of 1 gm/L should be quite noticeable.

Stating the obvious, sweetness can be overridden by aggressive hops or from astringency if mashing or sparging at high pH (aim for below pH 5.6 for a Bitter).
I won't go as far as saying Goldings and Fuggles provide the perfect hop characteristics for a great Bitter, there are a great many other wonderful, suitable and possibly better hops, but they do provide an almost fail-safe base to work with.
Suitable water treatment is essential to avoid haze and undesirable tastes spoiling beer. For a basic Bitter beer, alkalinity should be no more than 50 ppm as CaCO3 in the mash and lower in sparge liquor. Calcium between 100 and 200 ppm with sulphate greater than chloride content, as can be seen in Graham's Water Calculator linked from this forum.

As for sweetness, I find crystal malts close to 200 EBC are best suited, but each maltster's crystal products are different, and it is essential to read their data before jumping headlong into picking that ingredient. Ragus Inverts provide lusciousness from cane sugar, No. 2 more than No. 1 and No. 3 more again, but as PeeBee found, Billington's Muscovado does as Ragus Invert will.

Yeast is as important as ever, but don't want to get far into that topic except to say my opinion is that a good bitter will unlikely be made with so called neutral yeasts used by many with content, and that letting fermentation temperature free rise towards its advised upper temperature before attenuation will add character.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Which of the beers are you trying to emulate? I've not tried either but in my experience it's much easier to clone a 4.5% beer than a 3.6% one. I would agree with Eric that crystal malts are the way to go if you want sweetness rather than trying higher mash temperatures - never used lactose though.
Eric wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:15 pm
Stating the obvious, sweetness can be overridden by aggressive hops
Absolutely, I have just made this mistake in my last attempt at a 3.6% bitter, did a no chill and forgot to remove the hop spider. It's sat in the KK now and hopefully will be less bitter once it has cleared 8-[
Eric wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:15 pm
Yeast is as important as ever...
As for the yeast, again Eric is spot on I think, yeast is everything with low ABV beers. This brew was with a 50/50 mix of Crossmyloof Firm and Midland, third time using this mix but results seem to be hit and miss, I ended up with a higher FG than expected. I'm thinking of getting a couple of Brewlab slants though for this style of bitter, any advice on which one Eric?
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:33 pm

The latest cml "Firm" is a different batch and closer to type. Might that explain the variation?

Mike123
Tippler

Post by Mike123 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:31 pm

There is a lot to take in here, thanks for the help. My favourite of the two bitters I mentioned is probably the Earl Soham Victoria, it went down a treat. It is only 3.6%. It was a traditional type of bitter but very drinkable. Why is a lower ABV around 3.6% more difficult to clone?
I suppose the best thing to do is to try one thing at time until I reach something I like.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:52 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:16 pm
This brew was with a 50/50 mix of Crossmyloof Firm and Midland, third time using this mix but results seem to be hit and miss, I ended up with a higher FG than expected. I'm thinking of getting a couple of Brewlab slants though for this style of bitter, any advice on which one Eric?
Oh dear, I don't know if I can, but Brewlab has been a Godsend to me.

Located just yards from where I served my apprenticeship, they have at request supplied me several wonderful yeast and slopes. Most have been traditional heavy top fermenting types that may not be suitable for everybody. My gut feeling for a Bitter would be for a high mineral wort, Lancashire, and Tyneside for a lower mineral wort. Both are Northern yeasts, as you might expect from a Northerner.

Make a good size starter as per Brewlab's instructions. Once pitched into a brew and the first krausen has been skimmed of any debris and dead cells, return what remains on the surface into the wort and on the following day, when a thicker and healthier head should be present, harvest yeast for the next brew. Add Yeast Vit to the yeast while it is being brought up to pitching temperature at the next brew and so on. With care you'll likely get a year or two from a slant. Keep the saved yeast in a refrigerated sanitised jar with the lid not fully tight to allow gas to escape, but wrapped with clingfilm to stop ingress of all else.

In time you will derive your own methods for collection and pitching. It is likely to take 3 or 4 pitchings before optimum performance is obtained. If time between pitching is lengthy, make a starter from a small portion of the saved yeast to avoid adding lots of dead and weak yeast. Dead yeast smell and taste awful.

If it goes as it should, you'll never again buy dry yeast for brewing.

Apart from the obvious extra amount of flavour available in a stronger beer, at 4% ABV there is enough alcohol to defeat most interlopers. Low alcohol beers have more limited shelf life and, heaven forbid, coliform can survive in some circumstances.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 am

D215Aquitania wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:32 pm
70C or even 72C mash shouldn't be a problem, though I've not gone beyond 72C myself.

As for yeast, there's various lower attenuative yeasts readily available - CML "The Firm", MJ M15 Empire Ale, S-33 or anything "Windsor" spring to mind.
Sorry to be off topic but your soubriquet "D215 Aquitania" intrigues me and has done for sometime. Is it a French road number? If so I guess you live somewhere near Artigueloutan in department 64.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:31 am

Here is a quote from
edsbeer.blogspot.pt/2014/11/fermentabiliy-and-mash-temperature.html
Carried out by Jaideep Chandrasekar (whoever he is) with a grist of 90% lager malt and 10% carapils.
65°C. 82%
70°C. 75%
50°C. 50%
80°C. 30%
Fermented with lager yeast

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

D215Aquitania
Sober

Post by D215Aquitania » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 am

[quote=IPA post_id=865612 time=1670311076 user_id=9129]
Sorry to be off topic but your soubriquet "D215 Aquitania" intrigues me and has done for sometime. Is it a French road number? If so I guess you live somewhere near Artigueloutan in department 64.
[/quote]

it's from a British Rail Class 40 diesel locomotive, original number D215 latterly 40 015. Named Aquitania after the ship of the same name. Similar to the engine involved in the great train robbery. For my other hobby, I'm a signalman on a steam railway

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/489 ... 5bfc_b.jpg

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:48 am

MashBag wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:33 pm
The latest cml "Firm" is a different batch and closer to type. Might that explain the variation?
No, same two packets for three small brews. I've found a possible reason though, I made a mistake in my calculations for the last brew and have underpitched compared to the first two.

Where did your info about it being a different batch come from?
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:16 pm

Via email while discussing yeast types with CML

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:01 pm

D215Aquitania wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 am
IPA wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:17 am
it's from a British Rail Class 40 diesel locomotive, original number D215 latterly 40 015. Named Aquitania after the ship of the same name. Similar to the engine involved in the great train robbery. For my other hobby, I'm a signalman on a steam railway

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/489 ... 5bfc_b.jpg
Many thanks for revealing that. It has puzzled me for a long time.

Alone we travel faster

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:41 pm

IPA wrote:Here is a quote from
edsbeer.blogspot.pt/2014/11/fermentabiliy-and-mash-temperature.html
Carried out by Jaideep Chandrasekar (whoever he is) with a grist of 90% lager malt and 10% carapils.
65°C. 82%
70°C. 75%
50°C. 50%
80°C. 30%
Not sure why that came out wrong but here is they corrected version (maybe knocked a key out something):

http://edsbeer.blogspot.com/2014/11/fer ... e.html?m=1

65°C 82%
70°C 70%
75°C 50%
80°C 30%