Dry Hopping - How much

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Dry Hopping - How much

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:10 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:14 am
Eric, the Darley Brewery was in Thorne, South Yorkshire. Impressive façade still standing in the centre of the town.
Sorry, you are absolutely right. Snaith is where I'll be a week Saturday for a wedding reception in Cowick. I have previously confused those two. Darley was owned by Vaux, the local brewery here in Sunderland when it was closed. Thanks for the correction.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:04 pm

MashBag wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:35 am
I thought it was just the natural sugars in them, that caused a bit of action.
Read an interesting couple of articles some time ago that put the 'increased action' down to biotransformation - the yeast reacting with hop compounds that are normally 'locked in' during fermentation. Have thrown 25g of loose hops into the vessel on day 3 of fermentation on several occasions out of interest - causes extra activity and a noticeable change to the final result in terms of flavour and aroma. Not convinced it's always better than a standard brew without this step but certainly different.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:07 am

Thanks. Fermentation is a curious thing. I use it in many, many ways and many guises & it still teaches me things.