No Chill

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
BigEars
Tippler

No Chill

Post by BigEars » Wed May 31, 2023 5:30 pm

Good Afternoon
i have been absent for some time, and have within the last week renewed my enthusiasm to brew, managed to acquire a nearly new fridge for temp control.
I have been reading about No Chill brewing and BIAB, and would like to ask about Hop Timings in the Boil
I want to do a simple 10 litre Citra SMASH to get started and used BEERCALC to get a recipie which is
Maris Otter Pale Malt 2.5kg
14 Liter mash water 12 to Mash for 1 hour and 2 litre's to sparge
Boil for 30 mins ( Boil Off IS 6 Litre's an Hour so 30min Boil should be 3 litre's).
Citra Hops 15g @ 20mins
Citra Hops 20g @ 5mins
Protoflock 0.5 @ 10 mins
Pack of US 5 YEAST
Numbers according to Beer Calc OG FG ABV EBC IBU BU/GO
1062 1012 6.6 9 35 0.56
Will Add 25g Citra 3 days into Fermentation if that sounds ok
Does this sound ok OR should i adjust Hop Timing's to something else Perhaps someone could enlighten me Please as i am looking for some help as i am completly Baffled But Love Brewing most but not all of what i have brewed has gone down the Sink, so need a bit of Help (Any Thoughts)
thank you

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: No Chill

Post by Meatymc » Wed May 31, 2023 5:54 pm

Hi B.E.

As a regular BIABer and ex No Chill (except last Summer when very conscious of water shortages), thought I'd chuck a couple of comments in - suspect you'll get inundated!

30 minute boil is a bit short for me - normally go for at least 60 minutes but there's discussion on this topic at the moment. That boil time brings us to the hop additions. I'm assuming you've plenty of Citra to hand as you're effectively trying to use it for bittering as well as aroma/flavour. Again, personally I use something cheaper for bittering and hold the Citra and similarly expensive hops back primarily for the last few minutes, dry hoping or 'biotransformation' which I'm experimenting with at the moment - basically chucking in some hops after only 2 or 3 days in the fermenter which causes a reaction between the hop oils and the very active yeast.

It's all down to personal taste. Just go for it and see how it turns out then tweak, if needs be, moving forward.

BigEars
Tippler

Post by BigEars » Wed May 31, 2023 6:35 pm

Thank You Meatymc

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:51 am

It would interest me to know why you end up pouring lots down the sink.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

BigEars
Tippler

Post by BigEars » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:54 am

Poured Loads down the sink as when poured to glass was undrinkable this was with COOPERS AND WILKO Kits and AG, to much head to bitter ,to flat, but in different brews got to be something i am doing wrong but don't know what, don't get me wrong there were some that was absolutly beautifull to drink (colour, taste and head retention, lacing) BUT PROBABLY MORE THAN BY LUCK AND NOT JUDGEMENT, so would say roughly 20% drinkable 80% down the sink/drain ended up , loosing my enthusiasm, ( as well as TIME,and COST also)
Think really i would gain more from watching someone do a AG Brew but i don't know anyone where i live so am just watching YOU TUBE VIDS for insperation.
However will be trying again doing a few small batch brews with AG BIAB with NO CHILL see wot happens :?: Can always CALL IT A DAY

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 am

Blimey that a lot to ditch.

I would change how you brew. If you used software and maths previously...don't do it again. You might find the same thing happens.

Find a beer you like.
Find the recipe for that.
Brew it and taste, smell & watch it all the way through.
You will get a beer YOU like, not what the computer said you like...and many 'issues' can be corrected.

To answer your OP.
I use a 45 min boil and your hops will fit better. Nochill is fantastic. Be doing it for years.
Last edited by MashBag on Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:20 am

As Mash says, 80% is mad. If 20% have been great and you're not doing anything wildly different it has to be infections and possibly temperature control that are ruining the majority of your brews. Sanitation is absolutely key to ending up with a 'beer' that is drinkable even if you don't like the level of bitterness or the flavour - they are things you adjust as you go along.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:34 pm

to much head, to bitter ,to flat
Are things that can be corrected.

BigEars
Tippler

Post by BigEars » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:48 pm

MashBag wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:44 am
Blimey that a lot to ditch.

I would change how you brew. If you used software and maths previously...don't do it again. You might find the same thing happens.

Find a beer you like.
Find the recipe for that.
Brew it and taste, smell & watch it all the way through.
You will get a beer YOU like, not what the computer said you like...and many 'issues' can be corrected.

To answer your OP.
I use a 45 min boil and your hops will fit better. Nochill is fantastic. Be doing it for years.
Thanks Mashbag
I AM CHANGING THE RECIPIE I SHALL BE DOING to this BUT ( could change it if you recomend it)
1hour mash 1 hour boil 20g cascade @ 20min citra 16g @15 citra 16g @10mins then citra 20g 4days into fermentation SAFEALE US O5 YEAST ,SPRING WATER FROM SAINSBURYS
0g fg abv ebc ibu bu/gu
1062 1012 6.6 9 42 0.68 ACCCORDING TO THE BEERCALC THING I dont have a reason for the amounts of hops just seems ok but i dont know. (TBH I really feel like throwing the towel in and call it a day but all the bits and bobs i have think i gone past the point of no return)
IF YOU HAVE TIME TO ANSWERE WHAT WOULD you think to this recipie,
regards tony

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:22 am

Tony,

I can answer your questions, about that recipe.
Hops seems a little low (for me), I would try another yeast, to get better expession. I never buy bottled water.

Does that help. I doubt it. Sorry.

It must be frustrating (not to mention time consuming) to have tried brewing before and not got to drink the beer you like.

Watching toobies, reading bits here and there, asking questions have probably given you a lot of words, but not made a full sentence.

So let me do ask some questions and help you brew beer that makes you grin.

Where did this recipe & citra smash idea come from? Have you tried one of these?
What ingredients have you already bought?
What beer do you like?
How do you drink it? Room temp, ice cold, bottled, draft etc etc?

Good beer isn't easy, but equally it isn't hard once you have you had around it. I need to ask these questions to understand where we are and where we need to go. I have started a few mates brewing beer, and wrote some stuff I can share with you too.

Stick with it, don't throw the towel in yet ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ this is fun remember? ๐Ÿ˜

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:06 am

A very simple question. What books have you got,or read, on home brewing ?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 pm

IPA wrote: โ†‘
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:06 am
Can I ask you IPA - do you think this is a windup?

BigEars
Tippler

Post by BigEars » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:02 pm

Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:22 am
Tony,

I can answer your questions, about that recipe.
Hops seems a little low (for me), I would try another yeast, to get better expession. I never buy bottled water.

Does that help. I doubt it. Sorry.

It must be frustrating (not to mention time consuming) to have tried brewing before and not got to drink the beer you like.

Watching toobies, reading bits here and there, asking questions have probably given you a lot of words, but not made a full sentence.

So let me do ask some questions and help you brew beer that makes you grin.

Where did this recipe & citra smash idea come from? Have you tried one of these?
What ingredients have you already bought?
What beer do you like?
How do you drink it? Room temp, ice cold, bottled, draft etc etc?

Good beer isn't easy, but equally it isn't hard once you have you had around it. I need to ask these questions to understand where we are and where we need to go. I have started a few mates brewing beer, and wrote some stuff I can share with you too.

Stick with it, don't throw the towel in yet ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ this is fun remember? ๐Ÿ˜
HI MASHBAG the recipie is just something i made up to brew simple
The ingredients i have is Maris Otter Citra Hops 50g
I like all types of Beer HOPPY ONE'S AS APREFERENCE
AINT TO BOTHERED ABOUT THE TEMP
REGARDS TONY Psw sorry for the delay.

BigEars
Tippler

Post by BigEars » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:25 pm

Got no books and only read on forums and watched on youtube

BigEars
Tippler

Post by BigEars » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:29 am

Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 pm
Can I ask you IPA - do you think this is a windup?
No wind up mashbag