torrefied wheat for a wit???

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
drjim
Piss Artist

torrefied wheat for a wit???

Post by drjim » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:22 pm

So I made a Hoegaarden type recipe a while ago, it was/is nice. Thinking of banging out another, but I have no wheat malt left just a load of torrefied wheat - will that do the job do you think??

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: torrefied wheat for a wit???

Post by Jocky » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:01 pm

Torriefied is kind of a different thing to wheat malt as it has a slight toasted note, but it should be ok.

Personally I don’t use malted wheat in my wit, I use flaked wheat and some flaked oats (for a smooth mouthfeel and a nice haze).

Pils malt 50%
Flaked wheat 40%
Flaked oats 10%
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:51 am

I have a wit on the go at present.

Based on a previously successful recipe, but couldn't get the yeast I used last time: using Omega Wit yeast whereas last time I used Fermentum Mobile Magical Garden (MM had this before, but no-one seems to stock it at present).

The issue I have is that the Omega yeast seems to have stopped fermenting after barely a day and a half and only at an apparent attenuation of 25%. I've roused and raised the temperature all to no avail. That said, this is based on Tilt hydrometer readings, so will be double checking with glass hydrometer later, but not hopeful :(

Oh, the recipe:

44% Dingeman's Pilsen
30.3% flaked wheat
14.3% malted wheat
10% naked oat malt
1% light Munich malt
plus a few handfuls of oat hulls

Mash
15 mins @50C
30 mins @ 68C
30 mins @76C

15 IBU of Saaz @ 60 mins
2 IBU of Saaz @ 5 mins

Zest & juice of 3 oranges @ 5 mins
15g coriander seed (cruched) @5 mins

yeast Omega OYL-030 Wit

Plan was to ferment 3 days @ 18C and then raise to 23C for a further 5 days, but as above that's kinda gone out the window as it dropped from 1050 to 1038 in 28 hours and has only dropped a further point in the c. 36 hours since despite being roused a couple of times and the set point in the fridge being lifted by 1C twice.

Beer making can be great, but it can also be soooo frustrating when it refuses to go right!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:24 pm

Cobnut I had a similar issue with my most recent wit brew, although I was using Imperial Whiteout yeast.

According to my iSpindel it dropped from 1.046 to 1.030 over about 5 days, then hung out there for a week before re-started and took it down to 1.006 over another 7-9 days. The whole time there was a big krausen on the wort/beer, and I didn't keg until that had dropped and sulphur had subsided.

It ended up in the fermenter for 6 weeks, but the beer is delicious, so totally worth the wait.

Give yours lots of time, I'm sure it will get there!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:42 pm

Thanks Jocky.

I have checked with hydrometer and discovered it is an "idiot factor" at play here.

It is possible with the Tilt to set calibration points and somehow I'd managed to set a few which seems to have had the effect of the "reading" it was reporting getting stuck at 1.037.

The glass hydrometer read 1.016 at luchtime today and with the errant "calibration" entries removed, the Tilt is reading 1.014.

So not only has it not stuck, but the Tilt and the glass hydrometer are not so very far apart.

I've upped the temperature a little more as I'm away tomorrow for a few days and want to get it up at the target temperature range for my absence period.

I did taste the sample, and sadly it's a bit bland. Hopefully a further week and it will be lovely...I need it ready in a couple of weeks!

Glad yours was worth the wait too.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:18 pm

Hmm might wait and order some different whaty products.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:48 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:42 pm
Thanks Jocky.

I have checked with hydrometer and discovered it is an "idiot factor" at play here.

It is possible with the Tilt to set calibration points and somehow I'd managed to set a few which seems to have had the effect of the "reading" it was reporting getting stuck at 1.037.

The glass hydrometer read 1.016 at luchtime today and with the errant "calibration" entries removed, the Tilt is reading 1.014.

So not only has it not stuck, but the Tilt and the glass hydrometer are not so very far apart.

I've upped the temperature a little more as I'm away tomorrow for a few days and want to get it up at the target temperature range for my absence period.

I did taste the sample, and sadly it's a bit bland. Hopefully a further week and it will be lovely...I need it ready in a couple of weeks!

Glad yours was worth the wait too.
Once you carb it up it'll be quite different, but if you do want to spice it up then make a strong tea with some chamomile and toasted, crushed coriander seed, then chuck that in to your keg/bottling bucket before racking.