Dark Mild

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Dark Mild

Post by Cobnut » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:32 pm

Brewed a dark mild last Saturday:

85.7% MO
4.2% Crystal 150
4.2% Simspons DRC
3.5% low colour chocolate malt
2.5% black malt

Goldings (Worcester) @60 mins for 17 IBU

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread ale yeast

Mashed 68C 60 mins (10 min mash out at 76C)

OG 1036, FG 1011 (achieved 1039 OG, FG 1014)
ABV 3.3%

The yeast was done within about 2 days, but I left it a further couple of days before allowing to to gently cool to shed temperature (c. 8C) and kegged on Friday (6 days later) (bottled some of it too). I then carbonated using a SS Brewtech QuikCarb and sampled the beer later that evening.

Here’s a pint and a half poured on Sunday evening.
IMG_7165.jpeg
IMG_7165.jpeg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 6358 times
I’m delighted with it.

The QuikCarb is a good piece of kit which force carbonates beer in the keg, rendering ready for drinking within about an hour. I would not have bought one, but was fortunate to win this in a homebrew competition and I’m pleased I did. Not that it gets used often, but when I do, it works a treat.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Dark Mild

Post by MashBag » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:58 am

Blimey. I thought I didn't hang about. But Omg. Credit where credit is due, that is quick. And a smashing looking pint 👏👏👏👏

Is SS Brewtech QuikCarb the airstone thingy?

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Dark Mild (Blichmann QuickCarb)

Post by Cobnut » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:42 am

Sorry it's not SS Brewtech it's Blichmann QuickCarb

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/quickcarb.html

As per the original post, this is not an item I would've bought for myself as it's a bit in the pricey side. MM want £280!!! Although it can be bought a good deal cheaper elsewhere (e.g. Geterbrewed £199), but probably not that hard to make one yourself from suitable components, e.g. https://beer.thegremlyn.com/2017/06/12/ ... ld-review/
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:42 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:42 am
Sorry it's not SS Brewtech it's Blichmann QuickCarb

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/quickcarb.html

As per the original post, this is not an item I would've bought for myself as it's a bit in the pricey side. MM want £280!!! Although it can be bought a good deal cheaper elsewhere (e.g. Geterbrewed £199), but probably not that hard to make one yourself from suitable components, e.g. https://beer.thegremlyn.com/2017/06/12/ ... ld-review/
I looked at those "quickcarb" things after your first post. I was intrigued by the "patent pending" bit. How could it be. Similar creations for in-line oxygenation had been described for ages.

But I think the "patent pending" refers only to the clever tee bit that makes for a very compact setup.

But, as you've said, a fabrication out of "off-the-shelf" bits makes more sense than forking out £280.

Anyway ... How could you apply such a monstrosity on your beer! A "mild ale" too! Bad Cobnut! :evil:
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:47 pm

MashBag wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:58 am
Blimey. I thought I didn't hang about. But Omg. Credit where credit is due, that is quick.
One of the advantages of mild and other low original gravity beers is they can be ready fairly quickly.
I'm just here for the beer.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:13 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:42 pm
But, as you've said, a fabrication out of "off-the-shelf" bits makes more sense than forking out £280.
Luckily I didn't have to fork out at all :D
PeeBee wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:42 pm
Anyway ... How could you apply such a monstrosity on your beer! A "mild ale" too! Bad Cobnut! :evil:
In my defence, I have also bottled 26 x 330ml and 4 x 500ml (bottle conditioning). Former is for an inter-club competition (8 beers each brewed by 3 different clubs, so 24 bottles for the brewers to sample). Latter is and 3 bottles for judges in said competition. And a few spare bottles which might go to another competition.

The beer in the keg, we are drinking and enjoying enormously!

Good Ed
Steady Drinker

Post by Good Ed » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:00 am

Rookie wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:47 pm
MashBag wrote:
Blimey. I thought I didn't hang about. But Omg. Credit where credit is due, that is quick.
One of the advantages of mild and other low original gravity beers is they can be ready fairly quickly.
Commercial brewers also look to serve beer fresh. Banks's brewery (pronounced Bonks's now brewed by Marstons but still at Wolverhampton, and a poor substitute of what it used to be) aim to get their beer to local pubs within 5 days "the freshest pint in the Midlands". Bathams, brewed on site at their brewery and pub The Vine probably achieve even less. I think that the "maturing" phase for home brewers has been influenced by the days of kits when we had to get rid of the twang. There is no doubt a packaged beer does change over time but it is just a matter of personal taste, and apart from strong beers that welcome maturing, I like my beers fresh.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:11 am

Good Ed wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:00 am
Rookie wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:47 pm
MashBag wrote:
Commercial brewers also look to serve beer fresh. Banks's brewery (pronounced Bonks's now brewed by Marstons but still at Wolverhampton, and a poor substitute of what it used to be) aim to get their beer to local pubs within 5 days "the freshest pint in the Midlands". Bathams, brewed on site at their brewery and pub The Vine probably achieve even less. I think that the "maturing" phase for home brewers has been influenced by the days of kits when we had to get rid of the twang. There is no doubt a packaged beer does change over time but it is just a matter of personal taste, and apart from strong beers that welcome maturing, I like my beers fresh.
On the link you provided they say the brewing process usually takes five days and then it is matured for a further period in conditioning tanks. Not that quick is it ?
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)