Micropubs in Thanet. Worth a visit?

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Micropubs in Thanet. Worth a visit?

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:17 am

Hi folks,

A few friends and I are looking to get away for a few days to enjoy good cask ale. I've learned that Thanet has the highest number of micro pubs in the country; definitely worth considering. Would be really helpful if anyone could advise which area within Thanet has the best micro pubs. Any other advice about visiting Thanet is welcome.

Cheers all,
Floyd

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Micropubs in Thanet. Worth a visit?

Post by Mashman » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:26 pm

I'm in Kent but not to close to Thanet, well not without a nightmare bus journey but all the Thanet micropubs have a good reputation.
Some reviews can be found here;

https://pubsandbeer.co.uk/

Thanet is only a short distance from the original micro, The Butcher's Arms in Herne which was my local for many years. Check the opening times if you visit, I think they are evenings only at the moment.

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:46 pm

They are definitely worth a visit. As you say there are loads to choose from with most being accessible by train, with a little bit of walking or taxi in some cases.
We have been down there a few times as part of the cheap Sun Holiday deals and thoroughly enjoyed it. They are all worth visiting and are all different in their own way. Just do a bit of homework to see where they are and plan your route accordingly. With some of the bigger places like Margate and Ramsgate you can start at the outer ones and work your way in.
the first one we visited, and our first ever micro pub, was the Tankerton Arms in Whitstable.

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:19 pm

Loads in Broadstairs (my home town). Start at the - (Although not a micro) the 1) White Swan is worth going back in time(still has the public and saloon bar only accessible via going outside to change bars). 2) Yard of ale, 3 Four Candle (yes the 2R sketch check Harringtons the hardware store in BStairs). 4) Mind the Gap (there is also another new Micro near the Broadway). Walk down the High Street Lots of Pubs 5) 39 Steps. 6) The Magnet 7) The Chapel. Might be some other micros I have missed. 8) Another Pub that time has forgot The Neptune 9) End up on the beach at The TarTar. If you want to drink in every pub (1 pint per pub) + mircos, within a 30minute walk from the 4 Candles to the TarTar you could probably drink 18 pints, there used to be more pubs but sadly a few have closed.

Enjoy yourself(s)
Last edited by barneey on Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by barneey » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:31 pm

Forgot to mention Ramsgate has or did have the largest Spoons in England (if that's your thing?).

Like most seaside towns at this time of year check opening times for the Micro Pubs & the weather is damp although circ 14C this this week, none of the white stuff here.
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:18 pm

Legends. Amazing responses. Thanks so much. Looking forward to a real ale fest. :-)