Canterbury Tales Camp Site Brewing

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Canterbury Tales Camp Site Brewing

Post by barneey » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:37 pm

I managed to pitch the yeast on Saturday afternoon and as expected it took off a few hours later.

I have several packets of Crossmyloof dried yeast that I need to use up BBE Jun 2021 but like general food grocery items I tend not to take too much notice of (BBE) Best before end dates so just the one packet of Hog Norsk pitched.

Wort seems to like it, will probably keg next weekend. GFFV hooked up to the the Maxi cooler as well (just in case) but at this time of years its all about keeping the FV warm, neoprene jacket + overcoat used and the heater will kick in if required so cooling isnt really necessary.

I'm also not a crash cooler anymore when it comes to kegging beers, preferring to let some yeast travel over to the keg and leaving a few points to finish off in the keg(I'll know by experience when the beer is ready (iSpindel free zone :lol: ), that way you'll get more of bottle conditioned keg rather than force carbonation + any o2 taken across in the process isnt an issue. Sorry but I am not a fan of pressure fermenting from day one and pressure transfer if the style of beer being brewed doesn't need such a process. Leave the beer in the keg for a week or so to tidy up then cool the keg and pour off a couple of pints = job done, crystal clear keg conditioned beer without the need to use any additional finnings. (I only really ever use 1/2 a tab of protofloc in the kettle.) Top up the co2 in the keg once in a while.

Like most things in brewing its all to easy to get caught up in the latest brewing gadgets (which don't get me wrong are fun to experiment with), if I were to ever start again from scratch, Water alkalinity, which should take care of any mash pH problems, don't be scared of salts in your tap water, yeast + FV temp control, everything else is just gravy.

IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG (170.18 KiB) Viewed 16254 times
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 16254 times
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG (2.59 MiB) Viewed 16254 times
Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:21 pm

Managed to keg the beer today as its cold in the brewing room I have bought the keg into the house to naturally carbonate / condition for a week or so. (Looking good at the moment.) Will then transfer to the kegerator, pour a pint or so off to clear any sediment. fingers crossed in 4 or 5 weeks time it will be ready to drink / bottle some examples.

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:51 am

Not a brewing post as such, I haven't been able to get out camping since the New Year, fingers crossed I will do soon again.

Thought in between brewing I would practice my bread making skills, with help from other members I'm getting there.
2loafs.jpg
2loafs.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 16173 times
cutloaf.jpg
cutloaf.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 16173 times

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:31 pm

Barneey,
Looking good! :D

WA

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:13 pm

With Storm Eunice about to take hold later tonight / early Friday morning, I thought it would be a good idea to try a new old tent out to see how it performs in the weather in the words of Rimmer "smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast" or it could be one miserable night. If anyone spots a tent flying by please let me know. No brewing today/tomorrow just testing a bit of gear ready for the next adventure.

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:35 pm

barneey wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:51 am
Not a brewing post as such, I haven't been able to get out camping since the New Year, fingers crossed I will do soon again.

Thought in between brewing I would practice my bread making skills, with help from other members I'm getting there.

2loafs.jpgcutloaf.jpg
Looks good. Have you used any brewing grains yet? Just drying some, to grind as I find they give the bread an extra little something.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:35 pm

Have we got a bread thread?

Trefoyl

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:31 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:35 pm
Have we got a bread thread?
Several here: viewforum.php?f=14
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

barneey

Post by barneey » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:07 pm

MashBag wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:35 pm
barneey wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:51 am

2loafs.jpgcutloaf.jpg
Looks good. Have you used any brewing grains yet? Just drying some, to grind as I find they give the bread an extra little something.
Not used any brewing grains in the bread yet, although will try in the future. The thing I do want to try is some yeast direct from the FV when making bread. I was thinking something along the lines of Cullercoats which is a heavy top cropper, wait for it to become really active, top crop it and chuck it in the bread mix and see what happens. I am still learning loads when it comes to making bread by hand, my results have come on leaps and bounds recently with help from fellow JBK members. Also check out bake with Jack on Tube episode 130 as his method is totally different to way I used to make bread, so far I have had good results.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:26 pm

'No knead' method really works for me.

Will try jack on utube.

Beer yeast will ferment bread aok.

barneey

Post by barneey » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:52 am

Well both me and the tent survived the night, just waiting to see what happens today.
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 16074 times

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:58 am

MashBag wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:26 pm
Beer yeast will ferment bread aok.
I have made bread using slurry from the fermenter a couple of times. My experience is that you should avoid using yeast slurry from a hop forward beer as it imparts a strong bitterness to the bread which is unpleasant. Yeast slurry from a malt forward beer works well.

I have also used spent grains in making breads at least once, but I found the large amount of husks in the resulting bread to be not so great.
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:12 am

Absolutely and you need a lot less than you think.

barneey

Post by barneey » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:57 am

Yesterday, I made up a few loafs of bread, enough dough to make 3 loafs. 2 loafs were cooked in traditional tins in the oven. The 3rd loaf in cylindrical cake tin housed in Zebra Billy can cooked over an open fire.

Forgot to take a picture of the end result, ate the bread yesterday evening. slightly crisp on the bottom but apart from that as good as the kitchen oven loafs.
IMG_0318[1].JPG
IMG_0318[1].JPG (141.06 KiB) Viewed 15943 times