Brooklyn (RIS) Stout (1st Tasting update 04/04/10))

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
leedsbrew

Re: Brooklyn Black Chocolate (RIS) Stout (15/02/10 update)

Post by leedsbrew » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 am

jonnyhop wrote:
LOL, I haven't managed it yet!
No worries, it was just an idea that sparked my imagination.

I meant I haven't managed to leave it till 2011. My will power may fail me! :D
jonnyhop wrote:
Use alot of 3/16 to reduce the line presure
What's that then?
3/16 inch beer line
jonnyhop wrote: I suspect having the bottles cold will help reduce fizz, though this could be a problem bottling on mass.
It does help, that was why I used cold starsan with water from the VERY cold tap (we had afrost the night before which help with low tap temps). If you clean the bottles and maybee leave them in an fv of cleaning solution over night in the garage/shed, give them a rinse and sleralise with cold steraliser. It worked a treat. Keeping the bottles wet with a no rinse sanatizer helps alot as well by reducing friction, which stops foaming. :D Look forward to hearnig of your results! :D

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Well tomorrow is the 1st sample day. Got a bottle of the commercial stuff for comparison :D . It is taking all my will power not to crack it open tonight! lol :D :D :D

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Just had the sample bottle, and the bottle of proper stuff, after tea. Man I'm feeling it! 8% and 10.1% respectively. Shouldn't have had those pints before cooking :lol: :lol: :lol: . I've taken photos and will post the notes taken by SWMBO tomorrow, for now lets just say I'm a happy bunny! :D :D :D :D :D

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm guessing its turning out pretty good then! :p

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Looking forward to hearing the results!

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Well the 1st tasting of this beer has filled me with both joy and dread! :D :shock: :o

Joy as It is getting along VERY nicley and is set to see new year 2011 in with a bang!

dread because I have no idea how I'm going to keep my hands off this untill then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had a side by side tasting with a bottle of winter 09/10 BBCS

On initial opening of the Stocks and Cross variety a very pleasing ffsssst of CO2. This beer has been force carbonated and bottled with a poor mans beer gun (5-6 feet of 3/16 beer line) :lol: :lol: So the fact that it is still lightly carbonated was nice.

there was even a whiff of CO2 to be seen escaping from the top of the bottle! :D :D

holding it up to a bright light there was no hint of it coming through the beer. This is DARK! :D It did have a very slight tan head to it but this disappeared quickly (before I had chance to take a pic :evil: ) I did realise after that I hadn't rinsed the glass after it came out of the dishwasher so this probably helped the head to disappear!

All in all it looks very much like the proper stuff :wink: :wink: as in BLACK! LOL

Smell - Coffee, Chocolate, molasses, some dark fruity smells, and alcohol! I know this is ONLY 8%, but it smells very strong. Alongside the proper stuff it has a fruitier smell, and more hops smell coming across. The commercial stuff smells stronger (alcohol wise), and has more roast malt smell

Taste - my version is a lot closer to the real thing than I thought it was going to be. Again slightly more fruity flavors, but they meld into the roast coffee, bitter chocolate and roast malt flavors. I would have liked more roasted malt flavors in my version, as these are stronger in the proper version. The mouth feel of mine is bang on the money even though it is 2% weaker.

All in all very happy with how this is getting on. It will still need some months I think for it to smooth of some rough edges, but it is a lot further along than I expected!

Well chuffed!

:D :D :D LB

DarloDave

Re: Brooklyn (RIS) Stout (1st Tasting update 04/04/10))

Post by DarloDave » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Success! :D

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Great work.

Manx Guy

Post by Manx Guy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi LB!

I'm going to be giving this brew a go soon...

I'm wondering if WLP 04 Irish ale might be good choice? Otherwise it will be trusty Notts or US05 as thats what I have...

Cheers!

Guy
8)

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:22 pm

clearing out the shed the other day...............found three bottles of this! :)

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:47 am

Shed-aged-beer :)

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:57 am

Just wait till the hipsters cotton on to that. It'll be the new big thing

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:50 am

Its the action of Woodlice and Spider feet on fermentation....

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:05 pm

So.... how did it taste?

leedsbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by leedsbrew » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Hello all! Long time no see.

I still have a couple of bottles of this. Will be opening one later on this evening. Ten years to the day! 👌🏻👌🏻