Ghost ship clone (BIAB)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Bazz
Piss Artist

Ghost ship clone (BIAB)

Post by Bazz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:10 am

Getting this on the go today, mash is already on and i'll try to put some pictures up later,

Ghostship clone

Marris Otter 4.5kg (95%)
Caramalt 125g (2.5%)
Crystal rye 125g (2.5%)

75 min mash @ 66 degC

Chinook 20g @ First wort (60 min boil)
Chinook 17g @ 10mins
Amarillo 20g @ flame out
Citra 30g @ flame out
Citra 50g @ dry hop for 5 days

Ferment at 18 degC with Adnams yeast recovered from a mini keg.

O.G. 1.045
F.G. 1.010
ABV 4.4%
IBU's 45

From my research on this forum and the wider net there doesn't seem to be a 100% confirmed recipe, a few variations on the hopping but i'm pretty happy with the varieties, the malt bill though seems pretty consistent.

Will update as the day goes on.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Re: Ghost ship clone (BIAB)

Post by Kyle_T » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:58 am

I have a recipe for this that came from Fergus, Your not that far out.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks, I did reference a thread that was on here and it may have been your post that I swiped the grain bill from (thanks!) There was also a photo from inside the brewery showing which hops they used and I definitely saw these three, after that it was just working out the order to put them in, so I went with a bit of guess work and references to other information available on the web.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:30 am

Bazz wrote:Getting this on the go today, mash is already on and i'll try to put some pictures up later,

Ghostship clone

Marris Otter 4.5kg (95%)
Caramalt 125g (2.5%)
Crystal rye 125g (2.5%)

75 min mash @ 66 degC

Chinook 20g @ First wort (60 min boil)
Chinook 17g @ 10mins
Amarillo 20g @ flame out
Citra 30g @ flame out
Citra 50g @ dry hop for 5 days

Ferment at 18 degC with Adnams yeast recovered from a mini keg.

O.G. 1.045
F.G. 1.010
ABV 4.4%
IBU's 45

From my research on this forum and the wider net there doesn't seem to be a 100% confirmed recipe, a few variations on the hopping but i'm pretty happy with the varieties, the malt bill though seems pretty consistent.

Will update as the day goes on.
Fergus, Head Brewer at Adnam's, talks about how he developed the beer and the hops used here, Columbus, Centennial and Citra, are mentioned, whether they have remained the same to date isn't revealed.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:38 pm

It's a great beer for hop heads and you can taste the Citra dry hops.
Dan!

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:57 pm

All done and tucked up in the brew fridge, now for the day in pictures,

Well after much trying I can't seem to get the pictures to show, so here is a link to them

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7893306@N ... 4779630543

Anyway, came in 1 point above target gravity at 1.046, with 23 litres in the FV, so happy with that.

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:05 pm

I'll be keeping an eye on this one to see how it turns out. Had a couple in a pub and really enjoyed it. I've since tried it
In bottles and in a can. I have to say I preferred the canned one mainly because I thought the bottle was too fizzy. I'll have to try the mini cask next but it's certainly on the to brew list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrewerBen

Post by BrewerBen » Sat May 28, 2016 9:35 am

How did this turn out?

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Mon May 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Badly unfortunately, i think the yeast was off or had got an infection, either way it's only fit for the drain :(

Pretty sure the recipe is spot on though so i will almost certainly brew it again but use notty or possibly SO4 for yeast, won't be quite as similar but i think it would still make a good brew.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 am

Bazz wrote:Badly unfortunately, i think the yeast was off or had got an infection, either way it's only fit for the drain :(

Pretty sure the recipe is spot on though so i will almost certainly brew it again but use notty or possibly SO4 for yeast, won't be quite as similar but i think it would still make a good brew.
I don't think there is a sufficiently sanitary method of harvesting the yeast from a mini keg, I've tried. The problem is you don't do it until the keg is nearly empty and depending on how long it has taken you to drink it it has been open to the air in that time, inviting problems into a yeast environment already compromised by being on their last legs. I do know yeast don't have legs by the way. :lol:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:18 pm

It's extra expense but if you wanted to stop air getting in you could use one of these from Leyland Homebrew (or for more dosh a top-fitting tap) so that you keep the keg topped up with co2 rather than air.

orlando

Post by orlando » Tue May 31, 2016 1:45 pm

oz11 wrote:It's extra expense but if you wanted to stop air getting in you could use one of these from Leyland Homebrew (or for more dosh a top-fitting tap) so that you keep the keg topped up with co2 rather than air.
Yes but then you turn a cask conditioned beer int a keg, expensive and disappointing way of getting the yeast but if you're desperate to get it........ :idea:

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

oz11
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by oz11 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:51 pm

The co2 is regulated so you only would need a quick blast as the beer flow slows. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference [WINKING FACE]

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Tue May 31, 2016 6:21 pm

orlando wrote:
Bazz wrote:Badly unfortunately, i think the yeast was off or had got an infection, either way it's only fit for the drain :(

I don't think there is a sufficiently sanitary method of harvesting the yeast from a mini keg, I've tried. The problem is you don't do it until the keg is nearly empty and depending on how long it has taken you to drink it it has been open to the air in that time, inviting problems into a yeast environment already compromised by being on their last legs. I do know yeast don't have legs by the way. :lol:
I would disagree here Orlando, when doing my Ghost Ship clone the yeast was harvested from a minikeg after finding out the Ghost Ship minikeg has the original dual yeast strain, some of the others don't. It worked beatuifully for 3 beers or so before it got binned. It can be done.
orlando wrote:
oz11 wrote:It's extra expense but if you wanted to stop air getting in you could use one of these from Leyland Homebrew (or for more dosh a top-fitting tap) so that you keep the keg topped up with co2 rather than air.
Yes but then you turn a cask conditioned beer int a keg, expensive and disappointing way of getting the yeast but if you're desperate to get it........ :idea:
Or he could just pull his finger out and drink quicker :lol:
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 pm

from the website:

Brewed with Pale Ale malt, Crystal malt, Munich and some Wheat malt. We use Columbus, Chinnock and Citra hops - See more at:

http://cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk/ca ... WVhKj.dpuf

Going to work on a recipe more following what they are stating here.

So some cross referencing gets me this....just unsure on the grain quantities although right now it comes out about right for 75% efficiency.
Attachments
ghost_ship_clone.png