MACC IPA

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: MACC IPA

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:06 am

donchiquon wrote:I had an equally fun brewday a couple of months ago with this recipe. Filters and taps blocked left right and centre. The hop bill is on the fat side! I ended up with about 18 litres after losses to hopping during the boil and dry hop. Too much leaf - need to switch to pellets.

I started on the keg about 3 weeks ago and it has been the consistent favourite beer of any visitor. Huge hop flavour, very fruity, loads of body. I struggle to taste my Landlord and Speckled Hen clones after a pint of this.

At 6.7% it's a bit stronger than I'd normally drink, and slips down way too easily. I'm considering investing in a large wheelbarrow to help with removing said guests from the property at the end of the evening. Ideally I'd like to try a find a similar recipe at around 4.5-5%.

Will be v interested to hear your thoughts on it!
Must admit I never use whole hops any more, after a couple of less than successful attempts - particularly in a recipe like this, where you'd lose so much wort! I just let all the pellet trub into the FV and it can compact during fermentation - it really doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Really looking forward to trying this one, as it combines literally my 4 favourite hops in one beer (I have an all Citra and all Mosaic on tap now, and just kicked a keg of all Centennial!). The malt bill is actually very similar to the 3 Floyds Hop Zombie clone (all citra), which also uses Munich and melanoidin, although a little less Munich than the MACC, with a little light crystal and carapils as well. That goes great with an English yeast (I was using WLP002) so I am hoping this one will be similar (or even better) with the WY1318. Which yeast did you use?

Shame I missed my OG by so much, but if this attenuates a little more than the BS estimate (I find that English yeasts generally do - BS seems quite conservative there), then it should still finish up about 6% or so.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:42 am

f00b4r wrote:I know you used melanoiden in place of the honey malt, did you change the proportions at all (in the comments Marshall recommended quartering the amount if substituting)?
Ah....I think I must have missed that advice in my haste to get to hop heaven.

Here was my grain bill:
4600 g Lager Malt
794 g Munich Malt
285 g Dingemans Aromatic Malt

What difference would I notice in the beer if I increased or decreased the aromatic malt?
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:53 am

Matt in Birdham wrote:Must admit I never use whole hops any more, after a couple of less than successful attempts - particularly in a recipe like this, where you'd lose so much wort! I just let all the pellet trub into the FV and it can compact during fermentation - it really doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Really looking forward to trying this one, as it combines literally my 4 favourite hops in one beer (I have an all Citra and all Mosaic on tap now, and just kicked a keg of all Centennial!). The malt bill is actually very similar to the 3 Floyds Hop Zombie clone (all citra), which also uses Munich and melanoidin, although a little less Munich than the MACC, with a little light crystal and carapils as well. That goes great with an English yeast (I was using WLP002) so I am hoping this one will be similar (or even better) with the WY1318. Which yeast did you use?

Shame I missed my OG by so much, but if this attenuates a little more than the BS estimate (I find that English yeasts generally do - BS seems quite conservative there), then it should still finish up about 6% or so.
I've had my eye on the 3 Floyds recipe since I saw your post a while ago...hoping to get around to it soon.

I used a dry yeast, the NBS West Coast from MM, as I've not got into liquid yet. My FG ended up as 1008, so I might have accidently mashed low (I think I have that the right way round!). It doesn't seem to have affected the body of the beer though.
Ian

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:20 pm

I kegged this one this afternoon, a little earlier than I would normally - I let the Brewpi bring the temp down to 6C over a few days and then just went for it. Not too clear going into the keg, which I expected anyway given the short cold-crash and the yeast, and my attemp at "biotransformation" with early dh'ing (day 3 of ferment). Didn't keg onto gelatin as usual, but did throw the remainder of the dh charge loose into the keg (20g each of Citra, Amarillo and Mosaic). This is my first trial of the cask widget, which was floating nicely (along with a load of hop pellets) when I closed the lid & purged. Will be very interesting to see how it works with the pellets. Tasting pretty juicy, although not mind-blowing at this stage.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:10 am

So how's your MACC tasting Matt?

Mine has now mellowed after 2 months in the keg. I can no longer enjoy the fumes from the other side of the room. Still a cracking pint though, and still continues to get voted most guests favourite beer - including my mother-in-law!!! :lol:

I kegged the Brulosophy Oktoberfest a couple of weeks ago which has also turned out well - probably the smoothest beer I've brewed. Only 20 IBU.
Ian

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:24 pm

donchiquon wrote:So how's your MACC tasting Matt?

Mine has now mellowed after 2 months in the keg. I can no longer enjoy the fumes from the other side of the room. Still a cracking pint though, and still continues to get voted most guests favourite beer - including my mother-in-law!!! :lol:

I kegged the Brulosophy Oktoberfest a couple of weeks ago which has also turned out well - probably the smoothest beer I've brewed. Only 20 IBU.
I have to say at the moment (2 weeks in keg) that this hasn't turned out as spectacularly as I'd hoped. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent beer and there is an incredible aroma, but it is a little on the "thin" side and perhaps a tad bitter for the malt presence. I think in large part this is down to me missing the OG by 6 whole points, and I've been wracking my brain since to understand why - I actually think that I might have completely forgotten to add the kilo of Munich (!!). Not sure, but in any case it is more along the lines of a "session IPA", which is not a style I am mad on tbh, being very unbalanced towards the hops. Also worth noting is that I mucked about with the recipe, using WY1318 and a lot of chloride to go for a "NE style" (so this is not way a reflection on the recipe). I'm not sure if that is muting the hop aroma a bit, and the taste is also very clean - the yeast is not bringing much to the party. I fermented this one quite low (18.5C) and have since read a bit more on WY1318 - I have an all centennial in the keg now that I did at 20C and that seems much more lively, and could well turn out to be a cracker.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:15 am

Interesting experiment from Brulosophy on Honey malt....

http://brulosophy.com/2016/10/24/grain- ... t-results/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ian