Worthington White Shield...

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Brewedout
Piss Artist

Worthington White Shield...

Post by Brewedout » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:50 pm

So after a long break I'm back into my second brew in two weeks.
This time I had everything ready for a fast start Saturday morning. Water treated and preheated Friday night. Grain weighed and crushed.
Saturday morning mashed in, went to put the top wire mesh in place to discover I hadn't put the wire mesh on the perforated disc at the bottom of the malt pipe. Noooooo! So a hurried drain, empty and remash in occurred.
Following this I then had a largely uneventful relaxing brew day. The final gravity was surprisingly way too low 1040 instead of 1050, why? Ahh the white sugar. I'm too used to not adding any. So back to the kitchen to boil a little water and sugar in a pan. Now the OG rises to 1053. That will do nicely.
The smell of this brew is lovely, if it turns out half as good as it smells it will be a cracker. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

richard080561
Piss Artist

Re: Worthington White Shield...

Post by richard080561 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 pm

I left the perforated plate and the wire mesh out twice now....
Richard M
Cardiff

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 am

richard080561 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 pm
I left them out once. Will never make that mistake again. I did however manage to recover the grain and start again.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Lanky94
Tippler

Post by Lanky94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm

HI. Any chance you could post the recipe please?

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:28 pm

IPA wrote:
richard080561 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 pm
I left them out once. Will never make that mistake again. I did however manage to recover the grain and start again.
I've done this once before, no plate or mesh. I really need to get a checklist for this! I hope to never repeat this Image

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Lanky94 wrote:HI. Any chance you could post the recipe please?
I'm not sure I can, copyright would prevent this going out on the www. It was from GWs 3rd edition. That said, I know Worcesterhopshop sell all grain kits based on his recipes.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Brewedout wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:31 pm
I'm not sure I can, copyright would prevent this going out on the www. It was from GWs 3rd edition. That said, I know Worcesterhopshop sell all grain kits based on his recipes.

When I was a moderator in another forum I contacted Graham to see if he had any objection to his recipes being published on the forum. Providing it was not for gain or fame he had no objection. If the Worcesterhopshop are selling the recipes as kits I would say that is gain. Just a same he is no longer around to challenge them.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Dennis King wrote:
Brewedout wrote:

When I was a moderator in another forum I contacted Graham to see if he had any objection to his recipes being published on the forum. Providing it was not for gain or fame he had no objection. If the Worcesterhopshop are selling the recipes as kits I would say that is gain. Just a same he is no longer around to challenge them.
Thanks for the clarification Dennis. I'll raise a glass to Graham's generosity Image. For clarification Worcesterhopshop did this in the past, it has been a while since I used them. This may be no longer.

In which case Lanky94 I will put the recipe used up in a mo... once I get to the book.

Mike

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 am

25l Worthington White Shield Graham Wheeler 3rd Edition.

Pale malt 4350g
White sugar 520g
Crystal malt 365g

Start of boil
30g challenger 7.6%
21g northdown 8.3%

Last 10 mins of boil
17g notthdown 8.3%
Irish moss 3g

Total liquor 35.4 litres
Mash liquor 11.7

Mash @66C for 90 minutes
Boil 90 minutes

OG 1050
FG 1008
Alcohol 5.6%
Bitterness 40 EBU
Colour 21 EBC

Yeast of your choice

lord.president
Hollow Legs

Post by lord.president » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:36 am

I’ve made this 3 times now. Used WLP 013 which is supposed to be Worthington yeast.
Lovely stuff, though White Shield is one my favourite bottled beers anyway.
Getting Carlisle United into the First Division,is possibly the greatest football achievement of all time-Bill Shankly

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Dennis King wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:32 pm
Brewedout wrote:

TWHS has been selling GW recipes for years. Presumably they had approached Graham for permission, or he wasn't bothered anyway
Best wishes

Dave

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Dave S wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Dennis King wrote:
Brewedout wrote:

TWHS has been selling GW recipes for years. Presumably they had approached Graham for permission, or he wasn't bothered anyway
The copyright for Brew Your Own British Real Ale is owned by CAMRA, not Graham. The book was sponsored by The Home Brew Shop and while Graham didn't care for such sponsorship he said it was esssential to get his books published. The latest book bearing his name is sponsored by the Malt Miller, while there is significant doubt it contains any new input by Graham. That is particularly sad when it appeared his intended next offering was mostly written more than a year before his sudden death.
Somehow I doubt if CAMRA would take action against any individual or group who spread information of suggested ingredients for replicating a commercial beer. As for Graham, I'm sure he'd like to know his work was, even now, well appreciated.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Eric wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 pm
Dave S wrote:
Dennis King wrote:

The copyright for Brew Your Own British Real Ale is owned by CAMRA, not Graham. The book was sponsored by The Home Brew Shop and while Graham didn't care for such sponsorship he said it was esssential to get his books published. The latest book bearing his name is sponsored by the Malt Miller, while there is significant doubt it contains any new input by Graham. That is particularly sad when it appeared his intended next offering was mostly written more than a year before his sudden death.
Somehow I doubt if CAMRA would take action against any individual or group who spread information of suggested ingredients for replicating a commercial beer. As for Graham, I'm sure he'd like to know his work was, even now, well appreciated.
Yes, well said
Best wishes

Dave

Madbrewer
Tippler

Post by Madbrewer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:37 am

Eric wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:09 pm
Dave S wrote:
Dennis King wrote:

I'm no expert and prepared to be proven wrong, but I thought I had read somewhere that legally you can't copyright a 'recipe'. I'm not excusing the behaviour by the way - just the problem.