Arkell's Kingsdown

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Arkell's Kingsdown

Post by JamesF » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 pm

This used to be a favourite of mine when I lived in Newbury back in the early 1990s. There was a pub that was a handy stop on the way home from the gym that served a decent pint :) Possibly the Fox and Hounds, but I'm really not sure.

So, I broke out my copy of Wheeler and Protz, scaled up the recipe to forty litres and remembered why I've been promising myself I'll motorise my malt mill...

About 10.5kg of malt all told I think. A bit of a monster mash :D

The underlet water from the HLT is just reaching the top of the malt. An hour and a half mash at a target 66C gave me some time to have a bit of a clear up in the beer shack, followed by sparging to give just over 45 litres in the boiler.

A ninety-minute boil with Goldings for bittering with more Goldings and Fuggles for the last fifteen minutes gave me a final volume of forty litres, perhaps just a little less.

I don't have the kit to crash cool the wort at the moment, so it's now sitting in barrels to cool overnight whilst I clean up and get a starter going. I usually use a bit of light DME for making up starters, but mine has gone solid despite being stored in an allegedly air-tight container. Unfortunately I couldn't get any more so I'll just stick some lumps of the DME into boiling water and hopefully that will dissolve it. Tomorrow morning I'll measure the OG, pitch the starter and put it in the fermentation cabinet.

James

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Arkell's Kingsdown

Post by JamesF » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:25 pm

Finished up this morning. OG was a little on the low side. Not sure why.

And into the fermentation cabinet...

James

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:06 pm

James,
You have left the lid off!
Or are you after wild yeast and bugs and spiders and flies and other things? :D

WA

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:25 pm

It wouldn't have been a very exciting photo with the lid on, now would it? :D

Once the froth has died down the lid goes on.

James