overnight no-chill brewdays

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: overnight no-chill brewdays

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:24 pm

LeeH wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:15 am
IPA wrote: It's this simple. Brewers who can brew produce attractive bright beer. Those who cannot brew produce cloudy crap and justify it by saying that ls what they intended to make.

That’s just nonsense. Sorry.
You missed the point😂 IPA Can ONLY make super bright beer. He gets a twitch just at the mention of haze 😀. And nightmares occur when his trinity of finings run low. 😱

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:56 pm

LeeH wrote:
IPA wrote: It's this simple. Brewers who can brew produce attractive bright beer. Those who cannot brew produce cloudy crap and justify it by saying that ls what they intended to make.

No need to say sorry but don't call it India Pale Ale. Because it does not look or taste like it. Give it an original name. I suggest. Cloudy hop soup.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:26 am

I didn’t call it anything. Just called you out because you was talking shite.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:34 am

LeeH wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:26 am
I didn’t call it anything. Just called you out because you was talking shite.
I might be talking shite but I don't brew it.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 am

Surely it is the taste/flavour of the beer that is important, not what it looks like. Having said that, I don't particularly like hazy beers.
Last edited by Nitro Jim on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:45 pm

IPA wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:56 pm
LeeH wrote:

No need to say sorry but don't call it India Pale Ale. Because it does not look or taste like it. Give it an original name. I suggest. Cloudy hop soup.
What's in a name? I'm pretty sure that nobody's exporting these beers to India either.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:54 pm

Nitro Jim wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 am
Surely it is the taste/flavour of the beer that is important, not what it looks like. Having said that I don't particularly like hazy beers.
Form follows function.

The haze in a Hazy IPA/NEIPA is thanks to the massive amount of dry hops used to create an intense fruity/hoppy aroma and flavour. Dry hops contribute polyphenols, which bind with proteins already in the beer to create haze.

At very high levels the haze itself also seems to provide a thicker/silkier mouth texture to the beer. I'm not sure how that is caused.

Brewing a really good Hazy IPA does take quite a bit of skill and attention to detail, particularly on a home brew scale where it's much easier to expose the beer to oxygen.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:21 pm

All the hazy beers I have tasted have been citrus flavoured. If I want to taste grapefruit, I would eat a grapefruit. My wife enjoys citrus tasting beers...

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:16 pm

Nitro Jim wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:21 pm
All the hazy beers I have tasted have been citrus flavoured. If I want to taste grapefruit, I would eat a grapefruit. My wife enjoys citrus tasting beers...
Randy Mosher said if you want to brew hazy beer just chuck in a couple of tablespoons of plain flour into the boil. It really is that simple :D

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 am

Nitro Jim wrote:
Is the priors oven still open?

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:20 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 am
Nitro Jim wrote:
Is the priors oven still open?
Yes, my daughter's partner works there! Luke is on holiday today though.

Reduced hours since COVID:
Thursday 4pm to 8pm
Friday 4pm to 11pm
Saturday 12pm to 11pm
Sunday 12pm to 8pm

It's the only pub in town that I drink in. I do use the bar at the rugby club too.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:09 pm

Smashing. A mate and I often used to meet up there BC.

I good habit to restart methinks.

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:20 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:09 pm
Smashing. A mate and I often used to meet up there BC.

I good habit to restart methinks.
I should've added that the closing times can be a bit later depending on how many punters are in. I don't think Luke likes my grandsons!

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:58 pm

IPA wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 pm
It's this simple. Brewers who can brew produce attractive bright beer. Those who cannot brew produce cloudy crap and justify it by saying that ls what they intended to make. The resulting hop soup is claimed to be trendy and the way to go.
Just imagine the uproar if an upstart winemakier tried the same trick with wine.
It has taken many years to perfect the art of brewing and this is a return to the dark ages of brewing.
This afternoon we happened to meet a young man who we have known since his birth. He now works as a salesman for an "Artisan Brewery" in Toulouse. His company's latest gimmick is beer brewed using roast potatoes. When I was his age roast potatoes were something that the landlord served up free on a Sunday lunchtime.
Have to say I'm a bit disappointed IPA with your comments on 'soup' - particularly as you seem to be saying anyone who doesn't brew perfectly 'bright' beer isn't a brewer - most specifically in another thread you contributed to recently.

After many trials and errors - and often as a result of suggestions from you on the forum, I'm able to brew bright if I want to - and at the risk of coming across as a 'dig' on the other thread, without resorting to 3 x carrageenan and 3 x gelatine although I admit, the result in the bottle isn't always sediment free. But, I don't always want to so why does choosing a malt, adjunct, hop, process, yeast and heavy late hop rankle so much? And as far a 'pure IPA' do 'we' really know what a heavily hopped high strength beer 'looked like' (I emphasise looked like) after travelling for several weeks (if not months) across to India for the middle classes (the troops drank more porter than anything I'm given to understand) on an non-temperature controlled ship actually looked like on arrival - a beautiful 'bright' beer? I think that highly unlikely and doubt they would have given a toss in any case.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:07 am

What? They didn’t have beer engines and floating dip tubes in their corni’s?

Heathens…
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel