25li Bulk LME

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Re: 25li Bulk LME

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:15 pm

orlando wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:44 pm
Would DME make a similar Beer?
It would but I dont know about the clarity. The main thing about using LME is the clarity of the brew, I mean its "crystal clear" a good adjective is "polished"

Which has got me thinking....If I did want to brew a stout I would take out some of the LME and replace it with dark DME.

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:28 pm

orlando wrote:
All DME is LME with the water taken out, Its sprayed dried

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:45 pm

I have been asked about the ammount (25kg) and will it go off. No it wont, Ive been a Chef for 37 years, so I know about this sort of thing.
LME contains so much sugar it takes it way out of the Ph scale for bacteria to survive (think honey). If you can refridgarate (sp) it, then please do, if you cant, dont worry, It wont go off. LME is awful to handle, its heavy, it pours like a heavy thing that doesnt want to be poured. Shit on a blanket springs to mind

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:52 am

johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:28 pm
orlando wrote:
All DME is LME with the water taken out, Its sprayed dried
The reason I asked is I've tasted starter wort and it is not what I would call Beer. So wondered if the process of making one into the other changed the outcome. The OP was quite fulsome in his praise of what LME made, my experience with DME doesn't mirror it.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:49 pm

Hello, Only Me! #-o
If the LME is stored in the Jerrycan for any length of time, does anything drop as sediment in the Jerrycan?
Or is this pure LME and nothing drops as sediment because there is nothing in there to sediment?
Please forgive my ignorance but this method of Brewing sounds good to me. :D

WA

Sent without a Tap to Tork.

Sh!t, MrsAles don`t know what I want Santa to bring me yet! :D
MrsAles won`t be happy! :D
No, She won`t be Happy, She will be the Short Fat Grumpy one! :D

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:32 pm

WalesAles wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:49 pm
Hello, Only Me! #-o
If the LME is stored in the Jerrycan for any length of time, does anything drop as sediment in the Jerrycan?
Or is this pure LME and nothing drops as sediment because there is nothing in there to sediment?
Please forgive my ignorance but this method of Brewing sounds good to me. :D

WA

Sent without a Tap to Tork.

Sh!t, MrsAles don`t know what I want Santa to bring me yet! :D
MrsAles won`t be happy! :D
No, She won`t be Happy, She will be the Short Fat Grumpy one! :D
It is thick "glupe" Nothing can "drop out of it". Its the same consistency as kit beer

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Can some one please check on their software. I use BeerEngine
Per 25li
LME 4200g
OG 1.050
FG 1.011
ABV 5.1%
The reason I ask is because these beers Ive brewed using LME, seem very strong.
Regards John

LeeH
Under the Table

25li Bulk LME

Post by LeeH » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:14 pm

BeerSmith agrees with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Can I be the cynical voice and say I've heard stories of mould growing on open LME and experienced it too with Sinamar. Had some good success sterilising some large bottles and transferring to them on the first opening.

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 am

Hi johnnyboy
Good to hear you've found an approach that suits you and makes beer that you like :wink: ...
johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:36 pm
Weighed out the required of LME (4200g) and brewed as usual.
Normal hop routine, fermented as usual (SO-4 yeast) and bottled.
... it sounds like you've done a full-volume extract brew there, have you considered reducing the volume of your boil, saving more energy and time in the process? I know you've come at this from AG brewing, but many/most extract brewers will boil a fraction (say 1/3) of their extract to make the same fraction of their volume, with ALL of their hops, and then add the rest of the extract in their recipe in the FV, and dilute back to the final volume and gravity.
johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:15 pm
If I did want to brew a stout I would take out some of the LME and replace it with dark DME.
... for extract brewers making beers that require/feature high proportions of speciality malts or adjuncts ... the "partial-mash" is the usual approach ... and if combined with a partial-boil, you can see how you could mash all of the speciality malts and adjuncts (Roasted Barley and Flaked Barley say, if that's what's in your stout recipe) with enough base malt to convert those grains and itself and make a fraction (say 1/2) of the volume at roughly the OG, boil all of the hops in that, then add your extract in the FV and dilute to final volume and gravity :?

Hi orlando
orlando wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:52 am
The reason I asked is I've tasted starter wort and it is not what I would call Beer.
... that's an intriguing statement :? ... have you ever made an AG starter wort? If so, did you feel it tasted more like what you would call beer? If not, do you feel mashing and sparging a small amount of grains, boiling them without hops and fermenting them in whatever conditions you usually apply to your starters, would make something more like what you would call beer? :?

Cheers, PhilB

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:07 pm

PhilB wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 am

Hi orlando
orlando wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:52 am
The reason I asked is I've tasted starter wort and it is not what I would call Beer.
... that's an intriguing statement :? ... have you ever made an AG starter wort? If so, did you feel it tasted more like what you would call beer? If not, do you feel mashing and sparging a small amount of grains, boiling them without hops and fermenting them in whatever conditions you usually apply to your starters, would make something more like what you would call beer? :?

Cheers, PhilB
I mistook the OP as just fermenting LME. Having reread that is not what he did. Starter wort made from just spraymalt still doesn't taste like Beer, which is why I prefer to decant the spent wort before pitching the resulting yeast.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi orlondo

Ahhhh, now I understand where you were coming from :wink: ... for the record, I agree that starter supernatant/spent wort/fermented unhopped grain-juice doesn't taste like (good) beer ... but I still advocate tasting it after decanting off your yeast, it helps in checking for infections and to familiarise yourself with the flavours that particular yeast throws :?

Cheers, PhilB

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 pm

PhilB wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:40 pm
Hi orlondo

Ahhhh, now I understand where you were coming from :wink: ... for the record, I agree that starter supernatant/spent wort/fermented unhopped grain-juice doesn't taste like (good) beer ... but I still advocate tasting it after decanting off your yeast, it helps in checking for infections and to familiarise yourself with the flavours that particular yeast throws :?

Cheers, PhilB
A snif is the bare minimum to make sure the yeast is OK. If it passes that you're usually in business.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:25 pm

I suppose extract starters are (intentionally) weak and bland - often not hopped either, though some people add a few. IMO the stir-plate versions often taste worse than shaken/oxygenated ones too, which of course doesn't apply to the main batch.

However there is the oft repeated 'extract' taste that I'm not entirely sure of the origin (or authenticity) of. I do believe that LME ages less well than DME though, so whilst LME hasn't undergone quite such extreme treatment as DME it probably needs to be relatively fresh for best results.

As Rob indicates, there were (in the past) problems with keeping opened LME from going off; IIRC people used to float vodka on top and cover with cling-film for short periods of time. That may have been partly due to it often coming in tins though, for which closing lids weren't an option.
Kev

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Wort for starters should be kept on the low side 1.020. You want the yeast to start working for a living ie looking for 02 to consume before it starts looking for sugar (wort)
There is a major difference between a "starter yeast" and a yeast that you are trying to prove that is alive and well