head i have looked forum

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
mark14
Steady Drinker

head i have looked forum

Post by mark14 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:21 pm

morning all, i have read ,to put in half teaspoon sugar in my bottles for priming 500ml size, my first brew was a cooper ale and i added a liter brown demerara ,it has a sparkle gas but no head, could you advise me what to do, my second brew is done i will wait seven days to let yeast work re cleaning, i would like to know so i can get a head on 2nd lot cheers

Chug
Tippler

Re: head i have looked forum

Post by Chug » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:11 am

look at priming sugar guides, there are a few online guides to tell you how much to prime for the different carbonation amounts for different beer styles.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... prime+beer

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:11 am

@chug OP seems to have carbonation right for the style but wants a head on the beer which those search results don't appear help with.

Getting a head on my beer is not something I really care about. I believe some all grain brewers add torrified wheat to the mash (to help produce head and/or retain it?) but nor sure what a kit/extract brewer should do.

You can blast a 10ml syringe of air into a glass of beer and get foam, but that's not the real deal.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:43 am

And, as a slightly crazy comment, make sure your glass is clean. A bit of detergent or fat can destroy a head on beer.

Guy

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:46 am

As above, rinse aid also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

mark14
Steady Drinker

Post by mark14 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Chug wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:11 am
look at priming sugar guides, there are a few online guides to tell you how much to prime for the different carbonation amounts for different beer styles.
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... prime+beer
thank you, will do today, cant beat looking at a beer with head

mark14
Steady Drinker

Post by mark14 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:21 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:43 am
And, as a slightly crazy comment, make sure your glass is clean. A bit of detergent or fat can destroy a head on beer.

Guy
yes your right, i do rince cheers

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:19 pm

make sure your glass is clean.
A perfectly clean glass will result in a bubble free liquid,dont you watch QI? If you want a head on your pint use a syringe to suck up some of the beer and slowly squirt it back into the glass.
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:04 pm

themadhippy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:19 pm
A perfectly clean glass will result in a bubble free liquid,dont you watch QI? If you want a head on your pint use a syringe to suck up some of the beer and slowly squirt it back into the glass.
Sort of. A perfectly clean (and smooth) glass won't allow bubbles to form on the glass. No irregular places for nucleation (I think it's called) so no places for bubbles to form. But I'd have thought there would still be a head on the beer if it's gassy enough and has the right ingredients to allow a head to form.

A dirty, greasy or detergent covered glass will destroy the liquid's ability to form bubbles, rather than not allow them to form in the first place.

Or something like that anyway!!

Guy

mark14
Steady Drinker

Post by mark14 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:56 pm

themadhippy wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:19 pm
thanks for advise, i watch albert tacklock and ena sharples, thats enough for me, but i will look for qi, is it a brew channel, glasses clean, lots of air bubbles rising no head

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:06 pm

If the bubbles are rising then you've got enough carbonation in the beer. If there's no head it means there's nothing in the beer to hold the bubbles together at the top of the pint.

It's not really a problem, though. the beer should still taste ok, head or not!

Guy

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Doesn't the time in bottle affect head formation too? If it's only been in a very short time it might fizz more with little lasting head.
Never enough time...

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:25 pm

I also remember someone doing a side by side test and concluding that the amount of headspace you put in the bottles matters. Don't fill them right up to the brim iirc.
Never enough time...

mark14
Steady Drinker

Post by mark14 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:36 am

thank you all ,i will leave to improve the head, doing the priming as you say and leaving headspace cheers, thank you