Confused about LME & DME

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
DDoe
Tippler

Confused about LME & DME

Post by DDoe » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:59 pm

I thought I had it straight in my mind, LME & DME can be used as base malts to replace the grain. After looking at both these products on-line, I have come across some descriptions saying they are a replacement for sugar in beer recipes or, in the case of DME in particular, to make a starter.

I'm confused. Is it only certain ones that can be used as the base malt in extract brewing? I have seen Beer Enhancer but this isn't what I'm talking about.

Also, am I right in thinking DME is the same as Spraymalt?

Thank you for your help.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Confused about LME & DME

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:17 pm

DME is the same as spraymalt and can be used in place of base malt. You can get different versions, although for more flexibility you can steep specialty malts separately to change the flavour profile to your exact liking.
LME is the liquid version, you need more of the equivalent DME and it is less shelf stable, if using this then I would use a supplier with a high turnover.
DME can be used in place of sugar in kits, this is where some of the confusion may lie.
Hope that has provided a bit more clarity.

CJJ Berry
Steady Drinker

Post by CJJ Berry » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi all

I use LME as the base for my ales 60 minute boil with 85 -100grams hops chill add yeast and produce very nice ale that family and friends enjoy. I do not have much time right now, so it works for me.

CJJ Berry
Steady Drinker

Post by CJJ Berry » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:52 pm

Hi All,

I am planning to brew an IPA next week from Grahams book using LME & DME, I will steep 500g of crystal malt and 250g of wheat malt first has anyone tried this if so how did it come out?.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:10 pm

The key to using lme is to make sure it's fresh.
I'm just here for the beer.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:18 pm

Just to confuse you even more.
There is another DME, Diastatic Malt Extract. It's a liquid extract that has the ability to convert starches from grain and other adjuncts to fermentable sugars. It's not as widely available as standard liquid extract though

Cheers Tom