Extract Recipes

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Brotherton Lad

Re: Extract Recipes

Post by Brotherton Lad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:38 am

With 3.48kg of LME, the recipe doesn't need any additional sugar. Using sugar in place of malt is a way of keeping the cost down. That's why premium beer kits have 2 x 1.5kg tins of LME and cheaper kits have just one tin and tell you to add 1kg of sugar. Likewise you can use a bit of extract to prime in lieu of sugar.

nala

Post by nala » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:36 am

Looking through the forum I notice that no one looking for recipes has mentioned the "Kit and Extract Designer" software that is available as a free download from http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum// ... t&id=38825
The software has been developed by Ian Haworth and is a fantastic piece of work.

aceface57
Tippler

Post by aceface57 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:33 pm

nala wrote:Looking through the forum I notice that no one looking for recipes has mentioned the "Kit and Extract Designer" software that is available as a free download from http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum// ... t&id=38825
The software has been developed by Ian Haworth and is a fantastic piece of work.
Just had a play about with that, absolutely brilliant spreadsheet, made up two recipes that I'll be trying out in two weeks time when I get back from holiday. Especially love the graph to show you how close to your target beer style you are.

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:56 am

nala wrote:Looking through the forum I notice that no one looking for recipes has mentioned the "Kit and Extract Designer" software that is available as a free download from http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum// ... t&id=38825
I also tried this. Its really good and its Free! Anyone else given it a go? You have to enable your macros in excel if you cant get it to work.

Nobby Novice
Steady Drinker

Post by Nobby Novice » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Does anyone have an extract recipe for Hook Norton Hookys Gold ? I have read the label on the bottle and know that it has Fuggles,Goldings and Williamette hops, but I dont know what malt or quantity of hops to try. Thanks in anticipation.
Fermenting 1: Browning's Porter
36 Pint Cask:
Brewing :Christmas's Past Golden Ale
Drinking :Boddingtons Bitter Clone

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:58 am

Big Red american amber ale

Haven't seen a recipe on here for a while so thought I would add one.

Ok it's still in the secondary and not quite done and can only be bottled when I find the time. However, preliminary tastes suggest it will be good.

Although it's not my recipe (I took it off an American website) I didn't have all the ingredients so used artistic license with the malts and bittering hops. I live in Switzerland but you can get all the ingredients in the UK.

Big Red american amber ale
Recipe for 19 litres

2.5kg DME light
230g Weyermann Cara munich type 1 (closest substitute I could find for US crystal 40L)
113g Weyermann Cara Bohemian (closest substitute I could find for US crystal 80L)
113g dark crystal (I used regular British dark)
16g Nugget pellets (12%AA) boiled 90 mins
20g Cascade pellets (5.5%AA) boiled 20 mins
3g Irish moss boiled 10 mins
16g Cascade whole hops steeped for 25 mins at flame out
1 package Safale US-05

Target OG is 1.049
Expected FG is 1.012
Bitterness should be 38 IBU

I racked to secondary at 1.014 after 1 week. Fermenting temperature was 19-20°c
It will sit in secondary for two weeks. I will then bottle it and condition for four weeks.

I planned to dry hop this beer but didn't. The aroma from the cascade was so strong, I decided to just leave it as it was.

Will let you know how it turns out. If it's a good one, I'll be brewing it again but with Northern Brewer for bittering and simcoe for flavour and aroma and dry hopping with cascade.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Big Red American Amber Ale

Took this recipe from an American website but had to modify it due to not having some of the ingredients (see previous post).
It's been bottled for just over two weeks now and I finally decided it was worth cracking one open to see how it's progressing.

Not being American and not having drunk any American amber ale style beer other than Brewdog's 5am Saint, I can't say whether it's truly representative of the style.

However, I can say it's worked out really well. The colour is spot on. Dark amber/brown. Aroma possibly needs working on. It's got a big aroma but it's more spicy than citrusy (that'll be the nugget). Taste wise, as I've always found with cascade, it will improve over time but there is a definite citrus/grapefruit hint. There is a very bitter finish but it's not excessive - nowhere near an American IPA.

So overall, I'm happy with this one, looking forward to tasting it at four weeks (should be the minimum really when using 2.5kg of dry extract) and again, after that (at four weeks perhaps).

Regarding future changes, the grain bill will remain the same but I'll be bittering with simcoe instead of nugget and I'll up the cascade in the last 10 minutes to 28g (instead of the 20g). I'm also going to dry hop it when racked to the secondary. I'm very happy with the flavour but in comparison to Brewdog's 5am Saint, the aroma is weak. However, that'll be another brew day.

Final note - I carbed this with DME to the same level as an English bitter. I prefer it this way. I'm not fighting with the bubbles - it's flavour all the way.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Johnny_Red

Post by Johnny_Red » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Ingredients
0.17 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain. (Is this two types of grain i can only seem to find Cara-Pils?)
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain. (What does this number stand for?)
0.09 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain. (What does this mean?)
3.48 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM). (What make of LME comes in this size?)
62 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%]
62 gm Fuggles [4.50%]
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 Pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale[/color]

Can anyone answer the red questions above please, noob here not inderstand..... :D

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Johnny

I will try and answer your questions as best I can

1. Carapils/dextrine malt is pretty much the same thing I think or at least is interchangeable. It's a very light crystal malt and often used in lagers but also a range of other beers. They say you can steep it as opposed to mashing it but the debate seems to go on. I've never actually used it before.

2. 60L stands for lovibond. The Americans use a completely different system to the Europeans regarding the colours of the malts. 60L is roughly the same as standard British crystal malt.

3. SRM is what the Europeans use as opposed to lovibonds

4. No one probably sells the exact amount of LME you require. It's messy stuff and you can store what is left over in a jar or container in the fridge. You could probably freeze it too. Your best bet if you want to take a more convenient route is to use DME (dried malt extract) and use a recipe calculator such as Graham Wheeler's Beer Engine
http://www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/calcu ... eerengine/.
It's free. Simply change the LME to DME and use the calculator to make sure the IBU's and Gravity remain the same. Failing that, you should use 17% less DME than LME.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jason
W. C. Fields

Johnny_Red

Post by Johnny_Red » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks has cleared up alot.
As for the lme i think it comes in tins of 1.8kg, so two would be 3.6kg which is as close to dam it.

Thanks again for the info, begining to get an understanding now.....

Johnny............ :D

shin

Post by shin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:56 am

Hi all. Put together my first extract brew yesterday.
Was going for a high gravity / high bitter / high aroma New Zealand pale ale. Definitely an unorthodox experiment but it's bubbling away quite happily so we'll see how it goes.
All NZ hops and malt.

3kg Liquid light malt extract
1.5kg Liquid blond malt extract
40gms Pacific Jade hops 14.4% alpha - 50mins
20gms Hallertau hops 8.1% alpha - 10mins
30gms East Kent Goldings - @ flame out for 10mins
S05 yeast

Will dry hop for two weeks with 30gms of Fuggles and maybe some Allspice.
The boil was done with 1.5kgs of light malt in about 5 litres of water.

Thoughts?

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:56 pm

badgerdan wrote:Hob Goblin

Brew Type: Extract
Style: English Old Ale
Batch Size: 18.93 L
Boil Volume: 9.19 L
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
0.17 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.09 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain
3.48 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
62 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%]
62 gm Fuggles [4.50%]
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 Pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 9.19 L
-- Steep grains

0.17 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.09 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain

-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.115 SG with all grains/extracts added
-- Remove grains and add extract
-- Bring to boil then add hops

3.48 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
25 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min boil) (First Wort Hop)
25 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min boil) (First Wort Hop) Hops
30 min into boil Add 25 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (30 min boil)
30 min into boil Add 25 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min boil)
50 min into boil Add 1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min boil)
At end of boil Add 12 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (Aroma Hop-Steep)
At end of boil Add 12 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (Aroma Hop-Steep)

-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add 11.36 L water (as needed) to achieve volume of 18.93 L
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.
-- Add 1 Pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
-- Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.056 SG)

-- 7 days Ferment in primary at 20.0 C
-- Transfer to Secondary Fermenter
-- 14 days Ferment in secondary at 20.0 C
-- Measure Final Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.013 SG)
-- Bottle beer at 15.6 C with 97.0 gm of dried malt extract.
-- Age for 3.0 Weeks at 15.0 C
-- Crack open and enjoy!

Taste Rating (50 possible points): 50.0

This is a guy called Orfy's recipe, not mine; I just found it on another site and have wanted to do an Extract of this for ages :) I just edited it a little so it wasn't as messy and easier to understand.
Hi, I am planning to do my first extract brew soon, and wondered if I could just halve all of the ingredients for this recipe and just brew a 9.5L batch?

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Shouldn't be a problem :) I enjoyed this beer

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:06 am

badgerdan wrote:Shouldn't be a problem :) I enjoyed this beer
Cheers Matey!

I am planning on brewing this tonight, but my Styrian Goldings Hops are only 3% Alpha Acid instead of 5% as stated in your recipe :|

Should I make any adjustments to the Styrian quantities?

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

potatoes
Hollow Legs

Post by potatoes » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:52 pm

I would as the styrian is both a bittering and aroma hop. Here is a page from John Palmer which talks about bittering units. http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-4.html

Have you made it yet?