Extract Recipes

Discussion on brewing beer from malt extract, hops, and yeast.
Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Extract Recipes

Post by Monkeybrew » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:17 pm

potatoes wrote:I would as the styrian is both a bittering and aroma hop. Here is a page from John Palmer which talks about bittering units. http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-4.html

Have you made it yet?
Cheers for the reply, no I haven't made it yet.

I will make it this evening.
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

BarnsleyBrewer4

Post by BarnsleyBrewer4 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm

[quote="andyryan218"]Old speckled hen

3.2kg pale malt lme
540g crystal malt

540g golden syrup
65g challenger
15 g goldngs
1tsp irish moss
dry hop 5g goldings[/quote]

Could you post Instructions for this please?

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi

I'm assuming this is for 23L. Correct me if I'm wrong

Steep your crystal malt in a pan of cold water. I use a 5l pasta pan and set it on a hob on medium heat. While that's on the go, get a larger pan filled with hot water (15L is what I use) and add your malt extact - remember to leave room for your crystal malt steepings. It also helps if you heat your liquid malt extract in the tin in warm water as it makes it easier to pour.

I normally stop steeping the crystal when I can see the grain on the surface begin to crack. I strin this though a sieve over the main brew pan. When it's doing little more than dripping, put the sieve aside (I like to put it over a smaller pan and what little else is collected I add to the brew pan).

When you get a good boil in your brew pan going, add the boiling hops (Challenger in this recipe). Half-way through the boil, add your sugars - in this case golden syrup. During the last ten minutes, add your flavour hops (15g of goldings) and irish moss if using.

When you've cooled your beer, top up with water to correct level in fermenter and add yeast (after giving the wort a good stir first of course).

If you rack to a secondary, then would be a good time to dry hop.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:57 am

Here's my super simple Cascade American Pale Ale. Very nice and easy entry into extract brewing - doesn't even require steeping of grains, although in future I'm going to experiment with adding some Crystal, just to give a little biscuity maltiness to it too.

This is for a small, 8ish litre batch and a full volume boil - because that's how I do things, but it will scale easily.

You could also sub the Cascade for any of several other hops - Amarillo is great.

Code: Select all

Cascade APA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 11976.00 ml
Batch Size (fermenter): 8300.00 ml   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 12.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
950.00 g              Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)             Dry Extract   1        93.1 %        
70.00 g               Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)             Dry Extract   2        6.9 %         
11.30 g               Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 90.0 min         Hop           3        30.3 IBUs     
7.01 g                Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           4        5.0 IBUs      
7.10 g                Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           5        3.2 IBUs      
6.75 g                Cascade [7.90 %] - Dry Hop 7 days    Dry Hop           6        0.0 IBUs      
0.5 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         7        -        
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:33 pm

USS Enterprise IPA

An extract recipe I gleaned from the website 'Reddit'. It seems the recipe was originally given by the brewery on their website long ago but has since disappeared from their site and Reddit. I always planned to brew this but never did so cannot vouch for how good it is. Lots of people posted to say how much they liked it though.

Steeping grains

454g crystal 40 (that's light crystal by the way. I would use Weyermann Caramunch I)
227g Carapils/dextrine malt

Extracts
3.632g Light LME

Hop Schedule
28g Chinook 90 mins
28g Cascade 45 mins
28g Cascade 30 mins
28g Amarillo 15 mins
28g Amarillo dry hopped 7 days (doesn't say when but most people prefer when it's been racked to the secondary)

Yeast choices

Wyeast 1938 London ESB
White Labs WLP002 English Ale
Safale S-04

General information
Steeping temp 65°C
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.7%
SRM:12.1
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

maevans

Post by maevans » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 pm

Jocky wrote:Here's my super simple Cascade American Pale Ale. Very nice and easy entry into extract brewing - doesn't even require steeping of grains, although in future I'm going to experiment with adding some Crystal, just to give a little biscuity maltiness to it too.

This is for a small, 8ish litre batch and a full volume boil - because that's how I do things, but it will scale easily.

You could also sub the Cascade for any of several other hops - Amarillo is great.

Cascade APA

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
950.00 g              Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)             Dry Extract   1        93.1 %        
70.00 g               Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)             Dry Extract   2        6.9 %         
11.30 g               Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 90.0 min         Hop           3        30.3 IBUs     
7.01 g                Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           4        5.0 IBUs      
7.10 g                Cascade [7.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           5        3.2 IBUs      
6.75 g                Cascade [7.90 %] - Dry Hop 7 days    Dry Hop           6        0.0 IBUs      
0.5 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         7        -        
Ooh, this sounds right up my street! Could you, or anyone else, just confirm the method for me?

I'm guessing get the water on the boil (12L), once you hit boil add the Extracts and first cascade and start 90 min countdown, and then add the rest of the cascade at the intervals from the end of the 90mins specified? Just wanted to check you'd add the extract at the start of the boil and not half way through?

Also assume this gets down to 8L as you have c.4 litres boil off?

Thanks!

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Missed that previous post, but if you're still reading, yes your got everything right there.

Personally I add all the malt while the water is heating (because I use dry extract).
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

badgerdan

Post by badgerdan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Yeah dissolve the malt before it boils, you need to give it a good stir so it doesn't clump up (dough balls) then go for the hops once it boils.
Plus if you add the malt as it hits the boil it could get messy and the temp of the malt could stop the boil by bringing the temp down to 90 odd :/

Astroboy

Post by Astroboy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Wyvern wrote:Leffe taste-a-like type belgian beer - slightly darker than leffe though

For 11 Litres

1.7 kg. Liquid Light Extract
.5 kg. Dry Light Extract
.3 kg. Candi Sugar Clear
35 g. Hallertauer Hersbrucker boiled 45 min.
14 g. Czech Saaz (Whole, 2.5 %AA) boiled 15 min.
14 g. Czech Saaz (Whole, 2.5 %AA) boiled 2 min.
Yeast : WYEAST 1214 Belgian Abbey

This actually tasted good enough to drink straight from the FV and even better as it aged.
I'm keen to try this recipe can anyone advise me what the complete boil time is for it. I'm quite new to extract and assumed that it would usually be 90min with 60min being acceptable at times but is the above recipe suggesting a 45min boil?
Also if anyone has tried this previously what were the results like?

Ta in advance!
Shane

maevans

Post by maevans » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:24 am

Jocky wrote:Here's my super simple Cascade American Pale Ale. Very nice and easy entry into extract brewing - doesn't even require steeping of grains, although in future I'm going to experiment with adding some Crystal, just to give a little biscuity maltiness to it too.

Cascade APA

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
So I made this, and it was great! Primed very lightly and it gave me what I wanted - a hoppy american style pale ale, but with the carbonation of an english ale. Good stuff. It's one dimensional obviously, what with the one hop and no grain, but if you like that flavour, then that's no bad thing.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Yes, I agree, it needs some steeped grain in it, and I don't think the dry hopping adds anything to it (I've compared it), but it's a good base to experiment from, and gives you a nice hoppy APA, which are not easy to find in bottle or even kit form.

maevans

Post by maevans » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Jocky wrote:Yes, I agree, it needs some steeped grain in it, and I don't think the dry hopping adds anything to it (I've compared it), but it's a good base to experiment from, and gives you a nice hoppy APA, which are not easy to find in bottle or even kit form.
What sort of amount of grain are we talking about? (can you tell I haven't made many recipes yet/! :oops: )

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:33 am

I will probably start with about 60-80 grams of Crystal malt (40L/140EBC) with the quantities in that recipe.

malachy

Post by malachy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:31 am

Re Hob Goblin if I were to bottle in 500ml and use carbonation drops, how many? 1 or 2 I usually use 2 for 750mls. May be a stupid question.

Cheers

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:45 pm

malachy wrote:Re Hob Goblin if I were to bottle in 500ml and use carbonation drops, how many? 1 or 2 I usually use 2 for 750mls. May be a stupid question.

Cheers
I certainly would not use 2 as it would just be too fizzy for that beer so if you are going to use them I would have to say 1 drop.

They are very convenient but I don't tend to use the drops these days as it limits you to the set amount and type of priming sugar. I prefer to boil up whatever sugar I am using with a few hundred mls of water then cool this and gently stir it into the beer in the bottling bucket just before bottling. For me I know that, for 20l of a bitter, 60g of sugar will be just right (ymmv).