titanic plum porter

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

titanic plum porter

Post by Meatymc » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Daughter had a pint of this at our local over Xmas. Had a taste and very impressed - particularly compared to my berried blonde attempts. Anyone had a go at this and can recommend a recipe?

dufresne

Re: titanic plum porter

Post by dufresne » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Bought a couple of bottles from either Lidl or Aldi...was actually very impressed. Made me think the next strong porter I brew will be split into two batches. One with plumb and the other with vanilla/bourbon.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:25 pm

They use plum extract. Very hard to get the plum flavours from just the fruit.

Peatbogbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Peatbogbrewer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Meatymc wrote:Daughter had a pint of this at our local over Xmas. Had a taste and very impressed - particularly compared to my berried blonde attempts. Anyone had a go at this and can recommend a recipe?
i do a damson porter for Xmas, this year i did:
2kg maris
1kg pale dme
250g crystal malt
125g amber malt
210g black malt
125g wheat malt
Mash at 65 degs for one hour BIAB style
40g EKG at 60
20g EKG at 10
30g saaz at 5
Fermented or one week with Nott Danstar
Added 1kg of pasteurised damsons left for another week then prime and condition. Aprox ABV 4.9% IBU 30.85
This years brew has tuned out quite sour as the damsons were not as sweet. I did one last year without amber malt which was much better.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Cheers guys

Did a tweaked Coopers Blonde with Blackberry some months ago which was OK but not enough fruit coming through. Then did another with Blackcurrant but that was as tart as hell. However, whilst at the pub I reported on and where daughter had the Titanic, I had a Blackcurrant tweaked something-or-other (can't recall the brewer/name) and it was so sour to be practically undrinkable. There is clearly either a fine line or a specific means of getting the fruit into the beer whilst not going over the top.

I'm only on my 3rd grain brew and trying to build up slowly from a base list of grains and hops rather than ending up with loads of small quantities immediately knocking about and going stale. If the requirement is for anything like PB's list I think this Porter will have to wait in the queue for now although I will get around to it eventually.

Thanks as usual.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Meatymc wrote: I'm only on my 3rd grain brew and trying to build up slowly from a base list of grains and hops rather than ending up with loads of small quantities immediately knocking about and going stale. If the requirement is for anything like PB's list I think this Porter will have to wait in the queue for now although I will get around to it eventually.

Thanks as usual.
Meaty,
If you email your exact recipe to `The MaltMiller`, they will make it up for you and you won`t be left with any stuff lying around unused ( I think
they do)!
Won`t hurt to email them to ask first. :D

WA

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:50 pm

Cheers WA

Now i have the brew fridge and the inclination to go BIAB, I've been using Hop & Grape in Darlington only 15 miles or so from where I now live. Kevin there has been really helpful and I know he'd be more than happy to put together an exact amount for this or any other recipe. Thoroughly recommend him and shop by the way for anything brew related.

What I meant to say - and did it very badly, was I've just started with grain and want to work up from an initial recipe - tweaking as I go along. Hopefully it may allow me to understand more about what each ingredient does and how they interact. That's not to say I want to get bogged down with any one style of beer but clearly the Titanic Plum Porter is a different beast altogether so it will have to wait for awhile. Went off on this tangent simply because the Titanic was a revelation compared to what I'd brewed.

I've started with a version of an American IPA (Brooklyn Brew recipe) which I'd tweaked from their recipe (liaised with Kevin on comparable US/UK malts) and have further tweaked in the 2nd BIAB brew I've done.

Just going to update BIAB 1 and 2 posts for anyone interested.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Lovely drop this. Not surprised you want to make it.
uploadfromtaptalk1452284703834.jpg

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:57 pm

Been a while!

Back in action now following jollies etc and keen to get some brews underway.

I need a good porter recipe that I can tweak for the plum porter. Any suggestions?

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 am

This is my standard porter recipe:

SG 1.060

70% Maris Otter
10% Malted Oats
5% Biscuit malt
5% Dehusked Carafa 3
5% Brown malt
5% Roasted barley

Mashed at 69c for 60 mins.
Bittered to 30IBU with a clean bittering hop (I use Magnum).

I favour a lot of body in a porter, so I go with a higher end pH and chloride in the mash, and chose a low attenuating yeast (WLP005). I tend to make this as a smoked porter, by subbing in 25% rauchmalt (dropping the MO to 45%).

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:42 am

Cheers Mate

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Well, haven't been able to get around to this but as encouragement, my local has it on hand pull again - what a great pint it is. However, now i've done a few of my own brews, it doesn't come across as plum dominant as I first thought. Still looking for plum extract if anyone has any sources?

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Well the porter should be cool enough for the fermenter tonight but I've drawn a blank on getting a plum concentrate or extract and, from what I've read, trying to create something from fresh plums is a bit of a non-starter. Seen a few experiments with prune juice but doesn't really appeal.

Thinking cap on for an alternative - chocolate or chocolate and vanilla???

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Meaty

I used the Blackberry Flavour version of that stuff (link) to boost the blackberry flavours in a Blackberry Milk Stout ... when I'd found that I'd managed to add not enough blackberries :roll: ... that beer turned out really nice :wink: ... but be careful with that flavouring, it's powerful stuff :? ... they do have a Victoria Plum Flavour version of it too, though :?
Meatymc wrote:Thinking cap on for an alternative - chocolate or chocolate and vanilla???
... Titanic did a Coffee & Vanilla version of their porter as a Special Edition, Xmas before last ISTR, that was very nice too :wink:

Cheers, PhilB

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:48 pm

PhilB wrote: Titanic did a Coffee & Vanilla version of their porter as a Special Edition, Xmas before last ISTR, that was very nice too :wink:
And as you no doubt know was thought to be so good it is the new Supreme Champion for 2016.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer