Purchasing a suitable biab bag

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
bigchris
Piss Artist

Re: Purchasing a suitable biab bag

Post by bigchris » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks for the positive comments about the bags I make.

I've recently added a differently shaped bag with a conical bottom, rather than the regular square bottom. My last haf dozen brews have been done with a bag like this and it seems to be better in two main aspects. The shape, when suspended above the pot, means that the draining point is in the centre of the pot which didn't always happen with the rectangular bag, Also the greater depth of grain bed in the bag seems to be better at filtering the wort as it is draining possibly leading to a clearer wort going into the boil.

Here's the bag, with a couple of pictures:-

http://brewinabag.co.uk/en/biab-bags/18 ... meter.html

I've only made the bags for 40cm dia pots so far but intend adding the larger bags soon. If you've tried one of these from me I' love some feedback.

Brew some great beers.

Chris

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:01 pm

Does anyone know of a supplier of square bags to fit coolers? I use a modified igloo cube cooler as my mash tun and a bag for it would make clean up easier.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:33 am

There cylindrical an it they I use a biab in a 100 litre pan so can't see why you can't use one in a mash tun

HairyJamie
Steady Drinker

Post by HairyJamie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:15 am

Yes, just wondering if anyone had seen a custom job out there, i don't want excess material to wick up the wort and cause a mess. My cooler is a cube so there would be excess.

I might have to break out the sewing machine!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:17 am

Mine has a lot of excess over doesn't wick

dave_h
Tippler

Post by dave_h » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I have a cool box mash tun and could not find a bag to fit (I live in sweden so its bit more difficult than the UK for stuff), but all the swedes seem to make their own using IKEA curtains called TERESIA. I bought a packet for about 6 pounds, they are massive and they really look perfect hole size, you can make lots of bags out of them or just cut then into three and tie around the pot/cooler.

I have to say though I have not had the chance to use them but I cant see any issues with them.

dave_h
Tippler

Post by dave_h » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Update from the above comment. Used IKEA's Teresia curtain in a cooler and it worked great, first runnings were crystal clear.