Peco electrim boiler best bag for

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Wekslap
Piss Artist

Peco electrim boiler best bag for

Post by Wekslap » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 am

Please does anyone know the best size and brand mashing and sparging bags to buy for to use in the 33 litre plastic peco electrim boiler? I have a Ritchies new mashing and sparging bag 26 cm deep but doesn't seem very deep to me. What do any other peco electrim boiler owners use please?
Always walk softly, but carry a big stick!

tickle

Re: Peco electrim boiler best bag for

Post by tickle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:14 am

Wekslap wrote:Please does anyone know the best size and brand mashing and sparging bags to buy for to use in the 33 litre plastic peco electrim boiler? I have a Ritchies new mashing and sparging bag 26 cm deep but doesn't seem very deep to me. What do any other peco electrim boiler owners use please?
just google for one or look for mashing and sparging bags on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mashing-and-S ... SwMNxXZqQB

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Top quality here: http://brewinabag.co.uk

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi - I have the same boiler and same bag. Does the trick perfectly. I've had over 6kg grain in there - remember you don't want it too low or you risk scorching on the element.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:01 am

Injac. Are you referring to the same bag I've got? The Ritchies New mashing and sparging bag length 26 cm?

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:03 am

Ps any tips and on getting the best from the peco electrim boiler masher would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 am

Yup - The Ritchies New Mashing and Sparging Bag.

It took me a couple of brews to get to know the electrim. One thing I would watch for is scorching of the element - so keep stirring the wort when waiting for it reach boiling temps and if doing in excess of 100g of hops then use a hopsack. If you can find one of the Universal Hop Strainers that will fit into the back of your tap and stop any tap blockages.

Keep the lid on when heating up and lag it all with a sleeping bag.

Any specific questions just PM me.
In the FV:

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks Injac. I am a BIAB beginner. I've only done one brew so far in it and bag didn't seem to go down very far. I have the digital peco electrim boiler masher.

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:02 pm

How do people find this boiler? I read somewhere that people found it kept cutting out on the boil. Have you guys had any issues? - or are you really pleased with it? Thanks.
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 am

It took a few brews to get to know it. What I will say is keep stirring between end of mash and getting up to full boil. Any trub that settles on the element can lead to a burnt batch.
In the FV:

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Fri May 05, 2017 7:01 am

Please let me know the outside circumference (use a flexible tape measure) and the inside depth and I'll add a bag specifically for this boiler to my range.

www.brewinabag.co.uk

Chris

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Fri May 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi All, not used the Peco, but have the Brupacks version (28litres full) - it has a plastic grid over the element that stops scorching, but as the element sits in a sump, you lose the associated volume unless you virtually upend the whole thing. Must admit that I gave up in the end and found a cheap cooler to mash in that I have uprated and now do brew-in-bag-in-a-cooler- really easy, clean and if you get a stuck mash, just lift out and reseat. No mess, easy to clean and the manifold can have really large holes for drainage holes. I also had issues with keeping it on the boil, so have replaced the dial thermostat with an inkbird pid + SSR to use as an HLT; works like dream as I can accurately set the water temp and just leave it until I need it.

btw, I use the Malt Miller bag - big enough for my 50 litre kettle or for a 32 litre rectangular cooler.

Cheers, Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

Monte Cristo
Sober

Post by Monte Cristo » Wed May 24, 2017 11:14 pm

[quote="KevH"]How do people find this boiler? I read somewhere that people found it kept cutting out on the boil. Have you guys had any issues? - or are you really pleased with it? Thanks.[/quote]

I've done about 44 brews with my peco (digital version) you do have to babysit them as mine does cut out. It seems to occur mostly at the end of the boil but have had some midway through.

The other thing to watch out for is the ferocity of the boil, my boiler has real trouble doing wheat beer it seems to cremate them, with the element burnt black after the boil and the wort ruined. I'm in the process of rebuilding the peco controller into a larger box to incorporate a phase angle controller to turn down the power to the element to make the boil more civilised.

You can also get a stainless steel false bottom from geterbrewed for a reasonable price which works really well.
Overall though it has produced some really good beers. :D

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:01 pm

That's very interesting wrt the wort being cremated with a wheat beer. I use a Peco boiler, and also have the problem with the element becoming black.

I'm wondering if I used an element such as https://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/3kw-lwd-elements.html if my wort could be substantially better now.

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Thu May 25, 2017 9:01 pm

My first 5 brews I kept encountering the burnt element issue. Almost gave up. Then read that if u keep regularly stirring the wort when heating it up to boil you'll be fine. Once at boiling the element is pushing away the wort/trub before it manages to settle on the element.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
In the FV: