Getting the most out of my grain

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Wicks

Getting the most out of my grain

Post by Wicks » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:56 pm

I've been doing quite a few bigger beers of around 7-10% this means lots of Pale Malt. Been doing research regarding using the malt to try and get a lesser "small beer" out of the same mash. My current method is to BIAB mash in one pot (first runnings) and then I do a dunk sparge in a larger boil pot (sort of a second runnings).
I'm thinking of mashing and grabbing the first runnings for the Strong Beer and then dunking the bag in a new batch of water for some second and maybe some third runnings if I have enough pots. Take a Hydro reading of the second runnings and increase with DME as required for the "small beer". Thinking of something about 4%. I could even allow a little of the first runnings into the second batch to give it some additional body. I realise taking a pre boil Hydro reading I need to account for the rise in gravity due to boil off. Also I do have 2 fermenting vessels and two large wok burners on my cooker so all good there.

I did read of someone adding extra malt to the initial batch to allow more first running wort to be added to the second batch, started to get a little complicated then. Sort of defeats the point for me trying to make the most of the first load of malt.

Anyone tried anything like this, have any tips/pointers?

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Re: Getting the most out of my grain

Post by Mjr6313 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:51 am

I have just read about this in the river cottage handbook booze and by all accounts you should get around 3.5% as is but with DME should knock it up a bit to 4.
I have never tried it but the theory is sound
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:59 am

sounds like a parti gyle to me
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 pm

That's the term apparently some breweries do it for extra taps.
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:15 pm

Isn’t that how Fullers make London Pride and ESB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk