Just a therory

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Re: Just a therory

Post by Mjr6313 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Theory
Now deffined as
technology trying to be smart and auto correcting then the human not double checking.

I have a lot to do first before I even get that far I'm building my own brewing setup from scratch as I made a bet with a mate who said its impossible to do all grain for less than £100
Unfortunately due to it taking month's for China to post stuff my project has taken a long time to get going I'm £70 all in for equipment now it's just ingredients enough grain, hops and yeast to do a 5 gallon batch or several smaller batches.
Any pointers to low cost ingredients for good beer?
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Mjr6313 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 pm
Any pointers to low cost ingredients for good beer?
Not really, I'm only interested in making the best Beer I can and that means the best ingredients and they are at best reasonably priced. However, if you can cosy up to a local micro to flog you a sack of base malt at their trade prices (unfortunately they would have to add VAT), then you can easily pay half of what you would pay from an online retailer and avoid carriage costs. If you can do that then a simple SMASH, harvesting a liquid, not dried, yeast and you can make a creditable Beer for very little.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Mjr6313
Piss Artist

Post by Mjr6313 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Sounds like a plan but I want to brew the best I can too a SMaSh will help get me through a trial and error stage while I learn the ins and outs of my setup before I tackle anything better
My wife wanted me to get a hobby now I make beer. She says I'm always in my shed I KEEP TELLING HER IT WAS HER IDEA.

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:09 pm
Very different depending on yeast, but fairly expensive to do. Years ago working at the "b word" they did the same beer 4 times with different yeasts - English, American, tripel, something else. Lots of very characterful yeasts available so it'd be easy to brew an english pale ale, american pale ale, saison, belgian ale, lager all from the same wort.
Perhaps an idea to reduce yeast cost would be to use 3 yeasts instead of 5. Two batches single strain then various blends of strains for the remainder?

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:26 am

Strain blending doesn't always have the effect you want and can be fairly pointless unless you have an aim in mind, but yeah, why not. An English bitter finished with a saison yeast would be fairly interesting. Plenty of scope for adding dry hops, malt extracts, stuff from cupboard, whisky soaked chips etc too.