clearing beer

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
ElthamBrewer
Tippler

Re: clearing beer

Post by ElthamBrewer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Ah, so I can't claim it's all in his mind. For commercial brewers I guess they're filtering to such an extent that there's little yeast left. Chatting to him he's nodding on the allopurinol. I like to think it's a sign of a life well lived though. I do notice he suffers more from bottled beer than kegged beer, so perhaps I just need to drop off a 25L batch instead, which gives me a nice excuse to brew more.

Galena
Steady Drinker
Location: Peak District Derbyshire, nearest breweries: Taddington, Whim, Peak Ales, Thornbridge, Buxton

Post by Galena » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Oh dear, now you have me paranoid about drinking bottled homebrew ;)

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Or perhaps he needs to increase the Allopurinol!!

Guy

Doreblade
Steady Drinker

Post by Doreblade » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:11 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:39 pm
Yeast is rich in purines, the cause of gout and gout flare ups. Does your father take anything for his gout? I take 200mg Allopurinol each day and make sure my beer is crystal clear before drinking it in any quantity. No gout flare ups for years!

The worst thing about gout is having to avoid asparagus--oh, the trials of life!

Guy
300mg for me, still eating asparagus, but good enough reasons there to keep my beer clear :D No flare ups for years either so me general mantra of not drinking hazy beers must be good doing good for me :beer: .

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:08 am

ElthamBrewer wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:53 pm
IPA wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:55 pm
Anyone can make cloudy beer,I made loads when I started 50 years ago, now it gives me extreme pleasure to brew beer that can be poured from a bottle to the last drop with no trace of sediment in the glass. Something I have yet to find in a commercial brewery's beer.
I suppose it's a bit late to come back on this post, but I'll bite. How does one make "beer that can be poured from a bottle to the last drop with no trace of sediment in the glass". I'm assuming this is a reference to force-carbonation in the bottle using CO2 rather than priming with sugar?
Later this week when I am at my desktop I will outline the whole process. It does not include force carbonating.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:39 pm
Yeast is rich in purines, the cause of gout and gout flare ups. Does your father take anything for his gout? I take 200mg Allopurinol each day and make sure my beer is crystal clear before drinking it in any quantity. No gout flare ups for years!

The worst thing about gout is having to avoid asparagus--oh, the trials of life!

Guy
I tried Allopurinol and it gave me vertigo. So now I take one tablet of Colchimax as soon as I get that tingling feeling in my foot. This is about three times a year. It flared up yesterday Guy and thanks to your post I now realise why. A couple of days ago we had the first asparagas of the new season
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)