First BIAB

Make grain beers with the absolute minimum of equipment. Discuss here.
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: First BIAB

Post by MashBag » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:13 pm

Good show. So what's next up then?

YeastWhisperer
Sober

Post by YeastWhisperer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:42 pm

[quote=MashBag post_id=860312 time=1636012119 user_id=13284]
Welcome Rookie.

You can do all grain brewing without much stuff.

Buckets and Bowls work. As do cooler boxes. And plastic fermenters. Don't let anyone tell you you must have a stainless megastructure.
You will find your own way. You may also find a "house beer" recipe that you can perfect.

Better and easier beer will however create a little voice in your head 😁 Guitarists call is GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) ... Round here I don't know... "More shiney" perhaps... brewers seem to have magpie tendancies.

The beer you like to drink will have a large influence.
[/quote]

One I started brewing all-grain beer in the early nineties, the British home brewing market was light years ahead of the U.S. market. We do not have 240VAC brewing systems at that point in time. Most of the ingredients that one could purchase in a home brew supply store came from the U.K. (does anyone remember the Bruce's Dogbolter can and a kilo kit?). Brewing all-grain meant using a propane stove originally designed for frying turkeys and steaming large amounts of shellfish. The early stoves did not even have a burner. They were just a gas orifice in a section of pipe. My first home brewing kettle was a keggle that I made from an half-barrel beer keg. While still used by a select few U.S. homebrewers, the keggle was born out of desperation for a kettle large enough to boil 7 or more U.S. gallons or runoff from a lauter tun. The sale of commercial-size stainless steel stockpots were province of the restaurant supply trade, which was a business-to-business only market. The most common lauter tun was a Zapap, which consisted of a large white food grade bucket with a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom of it inserted into a equal size food grade bucket with a spigot attached. An upgrade to a Zapap was a cooler with a slotted manifold in the bottom made from copper pipe. We never thought about just using a bag in the same kettle that would be used to boil wort. That took Australian homebrewer desperation. Necessity is the mother of invention. :)

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:59 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:13 pm
Good show. So what's next up then?
I've got an extract honey lager in the fermenter right now and the fixings for an extract with specialty grains festbier to brew in a month. I plan to order enough ingredients for six months after the holidays with at least two or three BIAB batches.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:56 pm

It turned out so good I got the ingredients for three more BIAB batches in my recent order.
I'm just here for the beer.